Author Topic: Suggestions for a new Ice fisherman  (Read 1082 times)

Offline buddahcjcc

• IceShanty Rookie
Suggestions for a new Ice fisherman
« on: Dec 13, 2018, 07:59 PM »
I havent gone ice fishing since I was about 7, and Im sick of my fishing license being useless months out of the year, so I ordered a hand augur (I dont have the two or three hundred dollars it takes to buy a motorized one), and when the ice comes in this year I plan on going out. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to begin? I know this is a vague question, but other than cutting a hole in the ice and plopping in a line, like I said, I havent done this since I was 7...
As an aside, I dont have an ice shack, and I dont have a snowmobile, so Ill be walking and dressing as warm as I can, I already know that part. I plan on getting a sled to put my stuff in and dragging it along behind me as I go.
Any help or suggestions would be great, bait, line, etc etc
Thanks in advance

Offline nocsious

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Suggestions for a new Ice fisherman
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2018, 08:17 PM »
I'd go with 2lb or 4lb monofilament line since you are fishing outside.  Braided line freezes up pretty bad outside and gets difficult to work with.  You'll be fine most days while fishing outside as long as it's not windy and you dress well.  Get a bucket or small chair to sit on.  Either crappie minnows or wax worms are good bait on a small jig.  Try the spots you have luck with in the summer months and fish within a foot or two of the bottom if you don't have a fish finder or flasher to bring out.  If you fish small lakes and ponds then sometimes the deepest water holds the fish, especially mid-Winter.  Good luck and be safe.  Check the ice often, and bring a rope and a buddy if you can.

Offline ElectricSlide19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2018, 08:44 PM »
Good advice above. Other things I have found that really helped me when starting was to watch youtube videos. Indepthoutdoors, uncut angling, and some others are good channels to watch and learn. Another great way to learn more is to find some one to go fishing with that has some experience ice fishing. That knowledge they can teach you is invaluable. Bring ice spikes, a rope, and a lifejacket. Dress warm, and fish within 1-2 foot off bottom with a small jig or mall jigging spoon and wax worms or spikes. use a light action rod and a spinning reel with 4 lb test mono. You dont have to get the ice version, just get some cheap trilene. Find some weeds and then find where they edge is at. Generally those are fish highways. Another good way to fish is to get a slip bobber, hook and sinker and tail hook a small fat head. Set it above1-2 off bottom as well or sometime seven higher up then what you would be jigging at.

Here is a good video for beginners: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOnNZVDpbyo

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2018, 09:06 PM »
I havent gone ice fishing since I was about 7, and Im sick of my fishing license being useless months out of the year, so I ordered a hand augur (I dont have the two or three hundred dollars it takes to buy a motorized one), and when the ice comes in this year I plan on going out. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to begin? I know this is a vague question, but other than cutting a hole in the ice and plopping in a line, like I said, I havent done this since I was 7...
As an aside, I dont have an ice shack, and I dont have a snowmobile, so Ill be walking and dressing as warm as I can, I already know that part. I plan on getting a sled to put my stuff in and dragging it along behind me as I go.
Thanks in advance

Hit up the ice fishing boards for your state. Try to meet up with some guys here if that's your thing.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2018, 09:50 PM »
My number one suggestion for when you can upgrade (or currently can) would be to mount that hand auger on a powerful brushless drill.
Get yourself some tip-ups and tipup line, as many as your state allows. Your regular mono can work as leaders. Then get a basic panfish jig rod and an assortment of jig, spoons, lipless crankbaits. You can set out all your tipups or pull one and jig a bit to pass time.
Then when your able to, get some sort of electronics to do some jigging with.  it’ll make ice fishing a whole lot more fun, and the tipups can be reserved for bigger fish or when trout fishing.

Offline buddahcjcc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2018, 09:52 PM »

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2018, 10:02 PM »
Im currently looking at:

https://www.amazon.com/Venterior-VT-FF001-Portable-Fishfinder-Transducer/dp/B013DZJDWE/ref=sr_1_12_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1544758587&sr=8-12-spons&keywords=deeper+smart+sonar&psc=1

Because a.) its in my price range and b.) I can use it for regular fishing as well
They do work, I used the vexilar sonarphone for my first year, and it’s still packed as a backup year round. Make sure you get some sort of waterproof arm strap, or bag to hang around your neck for your phone. Have a portable battery pack to recharge your phone and the unit to keep you fishing.

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2018, 10:10 PM »
Thanks in advance

...if your using a hand auger...make sure your life ins policy is current...your family will thank you....:)

Offline buddahcjcc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2018, 10:31 PM »
Explain?

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2018, 04:48 AM »
I have both a hand and electric auger and the blades are razor sharp on both. Just be careful and you'll be okay.

You don't need to spend a fortune on equipment. Decide what species of fish you want to target and build your tackle around that. As been mentioned try and meet up with other ice fishermen in your area. Start saving your $$$ and set a goal to buy a flasher.

Good luck and have fun!

Offline TundraRider

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2018, 05:02 AM »
I would also check on Facebook swap and sells, Craigslist, and local classifieds.  You can often find deals on equipment there when people get out of the sport or upgrade.  I would like to also mention that some Dnr websites have lake contour maps that will give you an idea of lake structure to help you decide where to start punching holes.

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2018, 05:13 AM »
You can buy the navionics app for your phone.  I think its around 15$ and has contour maps of most any lake.  That can help a bit from blondly walking around drilling holes.  I would also recommend a spring bobber for your rod if fishing for panfish.  There are many makes and models, most will get the job done.   They make detrcting the really lite bites a lot easier.  Spring bobbers usually run 5-10 dollars

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2018, 09:04 AM »
Add a long rope to your sled in case you fall in someone can likely reach the sled and pull you to safety.  Wear ice safety pics.  I like the kind that you can join together at the handles to form a loop that you are more likely to wear and not notice.  Be careful with your auger. By that I mean don't bounce it on the ice or try to re-drill holes with it.  Otherwise you will need to replace or sharpen the blades.  Probably shouldn't let anyone else use your auger.  I am on my third season with mine and still cuts like brand new because I protect it and oil it after the season's end.  Get a flasher as soon as you can as they add a fourth dimension to your fishing.   

Offline Gorilla

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2018, 09:32 AM »
Warm waterproof boots and some ice cleats to put on them are key...  if your feet start getting cold or you are slipping all over the place you will not be having a fun day at all.    I would also echo the people who suggest hooking up with some guys from here on your local state board.   Half the fun of ice fishing is the camaraderie

Do Not underestimate the staggering drawing power of the Garden State

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2018, 09:36 AM »
I need to disagree with much of what has been written here. You actually "need" very little equipment to get started and even to be successful. A hand auger from Mora, Lazer or Nero in maybe 6" will take you a long way. Mount it to a good drill when you get the money. You don't even need a sled. Use a 5 gal bucket to start. Use your summer reels on some cheap HT rods. Line weight will be a function of your target species but fluoro leaders are worth the money. You can also get a couple of Schooley type reels to get you going for very little money. Get some ice cleats: Kahtoolas or their Chinese knockoff equivalent or Kold Kutter spikes. Those are essential for your health. Don't sweat the electronics until you figure out why you fish the way you do.. Have fun.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 14, 2018, 09:41 AM »
 this sport can be very inexpensive , a bucket , a couple of rod/reel combos from wallys, cleats for you boots, some guys put sheet meta l screws in them,a slush scooper,  a plastic sled of some kind, and what I have learned is I can fish on a single diget day with no wind and sunny, but go out on a day that is 30 with wind, and you will freeze

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Dec 14, 2018, 09:54 AM »
SAFETY FIRST not the most romantic answer ..the other gear suggestions are on point but the stuff you need vs stuff you want

Ice Chisel ...ice spikes/picks … ice creepers for walking..a life vest of some sort will get you started

https://www.cabelas.com/product/FRABILL-SAFETY-ICE-KIT/1625486.uts?slotId=0

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Ice-Chisel/2581713.uts?slotId=10

Cabelas has free shipping today no minimum
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 14, 2018, 03:16 PM »
Before you go out and buy a fish finder, shanty, power auger, snowmobile and all the other little gadgets, go fishing with an experienced ice fishermen.  If you don't like it after a few times you won't be out a lot of money.  If you don't have a mentor then go out and visit as many ice fishermen as you can and ask questions and ask if they can show you their rig.   Myself and the guys I fish with always are willing to help a new ice guy.  Use this Iceshanty Site and go to your state and the body of water you want to fish and read the posts and you can learn a lot.  One important thing is a strike indicator, it can be a flexible tipped rod, spring bobber or float-bobber.  You can have the correct location, rod , line, and bait but if you can not see or feel a bite you will not catch many fish.  In the Winter pan fish strike very softly many times and feeling the strikes will be minimal.   Have fun and pass it on if you like it.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #18 on: Dec 14, 2018, 04:28 PM »
SAFETY FIRST not the most romantic answer ..the other gear suggestions are on point but the stuff you need vs stuff you want

Ice Chisel ...ice spikes/picks … ice creepers for walking..a life vest of some sort will get you started

https://www.cabelas.com/product/FRABILL-SAFETY-ICE-KIT/1625486.uts?slotId=0

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Ice-Chisel/2581713.uts?slotId=10

Cabelas has free shipping today no minimum
. This is absolutely the best answer! Safety first and last you can get into the game for small change. Many of the folks who now have thousands invested started out with a 5 gallon bucket a couple of schooly rods, hooks and sinkers a 6” hand auger insulated bibs stocking cap and some gloves. Get as much as you can afford. You can always upgrade, electronics especially hold resale values. It has taken me 25 years to have the stuff I have now. Nieces annd nephews have been given stuff after I upgraded. And dang me If I don’t find more stuff to buy every season! Good luck and,
Keep it safe! JDL

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.