Author Topic: Milwaukee fuel Chuck  (Read 844 times)

Offline Dakotablood

• IceShanty Rookie
Milwaukee fuel Chuck
« on: Dec 13, 2018, 05:53 PM »
Hey folks so my buddy gave me a fuel but the Chuck is closed and I can't get that damn thing open to save my life. Any help would be appreciated thanks
Hunt hard and Fear no fish!!

Offline Trout Hound

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Milwaukee fuel Chuck
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2018, 06:00 PM »
Try hosing it down with PB Blaster and let it sit overnight and then go at it with some channel lock pliers
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after."  -Henry David Thoreau

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2018, 06:55 PM »
a vise and use the motor to try to loosen it. put it in hammer mode. try heat on the the 3 jaw tips if it goes down fighting. repeat the vise/hammer mode trick while it's hot.
keep the vise jaws closest to the transmission as to not smash the chuck housing. try to use the least amount of pressure on the vise jaws. some leather on the jaws will keep them from getting scratched. i think it has a reverse thread but double check so your not making it worse.

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2018, 09:16 PM »
Is the chuck all the way closed?
Are you just trying to open it?
If so put a drop or two of some type of lube on each jaw and "gently" tap on each jaw with a brass hammer while trying to loosen it.
If it is not all the way closed but will not tighten or loosen look inside the chuck and make sure the screw inside has not come loose and is jamming the jaws. If it's jammed tighten the screw by turning it counter clockwise.

Offline flyhaven

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2018, 03:58 PM »
Had same issue with mine.Had to put channel locks on it one time.Could feel a rough spot.Dropped it off to be sent back for repairs.Hope it gets back next week or so.They have a five year warranty per their owners manual.Saw a video where someone suggests buying a better aftermarket chuck for them?Did not research it.

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2018, 10:16 PM »
Isn't there a trick to working the chucks on these quality drills.  You turn them one way a small amount and then can open it easier.  I had a brand new Milwaukee I could not open, it was on a drill bit.  I used Channel locks and knurled my new drill chuck!  Later I read the trick.  Someone knows more than me on these.
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2018, 11:12 PM »
I had to use channel locks on mine also. After I got it open I learned to only tighten it to no more than 2-4 clicks when it's ratcheting down. No probs since
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2018, 02:16 PM »
My M18 chuck has locked up numerous times and also loosened on its own quite a few times. It has teethmarks in it from a big monkey wrench. Usually it's while Im hammer drilling a bigger hole in concrete, but has happened on regular drill bits as well. An authorized repair facility is right down the road from me, I need to stop in and see if they have a fix or how long it will be out for repair.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2018, 02:24 PM »
My M18 chuck has locked up numerous times and also loosened on its own quite a few times. It has teethmarks in it from a big monkey wrench. Usually it's while Im hammer drilling a bigger hole in concrete, but has happened on regular drill bits as well. An authorized repair facility is right down the road from me, I need to stop in and see if they have a fix or how long it will be out for repair.
. Would be interesting to hear what they say and  if it's a known issue.

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2018, 02:51 PM »
I had the chuck won’t open issue with my smaller Fuel that I don’t use for ice fishing. Milwaukee told me the chuck has a 2 year warranty. It was built in May 2016 per the serial number but bought December January 2017 on Amazon. They told me that their drills aren’t suppose to be sold on Amazon so don’t mention that to an authorized Milwaukee dealer to get it fixed, even if purchased within the 2 years. Their best offer was to send me a chuck and pay the labor to have a dealer replace it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.