Author Topic: Separate Ice Season license opinion  (Read 4589 times)

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
Separate Ice Season license opinion
« on: Dec 12, 2018, 09:34 AM »
Looking through the thread about keeping the areas clean on the frozen water, it occurred to me that perhaps the DNR (and I can only speak from MN perspective) is actually pretty lenient when it comes to ice fishing. Now, I am not defending any kind of spike in additional restrictions.

What surprises me is the enormous spike in interest in Ice Fishing in general. This past weekend the local lake I fished was packed, nowhere to park and shanty's within 30ft of each other. That to me looks nothing like the few boats that lake gets during open water. The amount of pressure on that lake was unbelievable.

What I wouldn't mind the DNR doing is creating Ice Fishing as a separate license, as long as the fees collected would go strictly to stocking programs and lake rehab programs. With the pressure I witnessed I am thinking there will not be any keeper walleye left within a week on this lake. It would also be awesome if the DNR had a better system for anglers to register fish (at least certain sizes) rather than their net surveys, so that a lake that has been hit really hard could then be restocked in the spring with the proper sized fish. ( I don't believe feeding pike with tons of fry is giving the stocking justice). I realize they are now taxing wheelhouses even when not staying overnight (which I don't necessarily agree with, nor do I have one).

What is everyone's opinion on this, or does your state already have it as a separate license?

Offline paguy15545

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Separate Ice Season license opinion
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2018, 09:47 AM »
NO!!!! i already have to buy my normal license and then a trout/salmon"stamp" and then a Lake Erie permit thats about $40 resident

I pay $60 for a MD non resident with trout stamp

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2018, 09:48 AM »
Is this a joke?  Let me get this straight.  You want more fees and more regulation?

That's what creel, size, slot limits are for aren't they?  Why impose more regulations specifically for ice fishing?

Your comparison of ice fisherman being close to each other vs boats is moot.  The cost of ice fishing is not the same as the cost of fishing and having a boat.  Guys can walk/drive right out to their fishing spot.  Not everyone can afford a boat.  Even then, for safety reasons boats must maintain a safe distance. 

This is a hard NO for me.

Offline PerchRapala

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2018, 09:53 AM »
I'd be ALL FOR an extra license. I fish Red Lake a lot, and the amount of fish they take out of there ice fishing versus regular water has to be insane. My lake in WI is the same way. Nobody on it during the summer hardly, a hundred houses are out by January. The pressure ice fisherman make is enormous compared to regular season.

We have a separate license for almost anything else, I'd be all for it as long as they used the money for stocking, etc. and not pensions.

Offline MT_mulies

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Aim high, Miss High"
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2018, 10:06 AM »
I would oppose it....here is my reasoning but its how I hunt in Idaho. I have to buy my hunting license and then buy a tag for deer and elk and any other animals I want to hunt....then my archery permit, and then my muzzleloader permit, and my duck stamp. By the time I buy all my different licenses and permits i'm spending like $100 where the guy who just has to buy a general tag and can hunt with a rifle which is WAY easier than archery or muzzleloader just has to buy a tag then hunt without any special licenses or permits. So why should I have to pay just cause I hunt more than he does and have less probability of killing something because of the limitations. Most years I don't fill one or the other of my big game tags, I just enjoy being outside from September-November. And I usually don't even hunt the rifle general hunt.

If I had to buy a normal fishing license and an ice fishing license and had different regulations that would suck in my opinion just cause I like to fish more than everyone else. I don't even eat fish! I just like to do it. Everything I catch is released unless it is hooked bad then it is given to a coworker.

No thank you to more licenses or tags. My opinion and I hope nobody is offended.

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2018, 10:12 AM »
Gosh, why stop at that? How about separate lisc for each body of water?  If a particular lake is getting too much pressure, just increase the lisc fee for that lake.  More fees,more taxes,  it's the American way.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2018, 10:13 AM »
Sorry, MN dnr gets way more then enough money because of the state lottery money already. Use that money more efficiently, giving more would being just wasting more.

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2018, 10:15 AM »
Here in Saskatchewan we pay $37 (recently up from $29.44) per year.  Some of our lakes are designated Catch & Release which usually have lower limits and the mandatory use of barbless hooks depending on what type of CR lake it is.  Lots of people aren’t ice fishing to catch fish they there to drink like fish lol!  IMO don’t have a separate license for Ice Fishing.  Opinions will definitely vary.
//.\\//.\\ark

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2018, 10:17 AM »
I pay for a license which allows me to legally fish whether I'm fishing from shore, a boat or on ice. I can imagine the comments I would hear from nonresidents if we started requiring a separate license for ice fishing. :o
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2018, 10:23 AM »
I would oppose it....here is my reasoning but its how I hunt in Idaho. I have to buy my hunting license and then buy a tag for deer and elk and any other animals I want to hunt....then my archery permit, and then my muzzleloader permit, and my duck stamp. By the time I buy all my different licenses and permits i'm spending like $100 where the guy who just has to buy a general tag and can hunt with a rifle which is WAY easier than archery or muzzleloader just has to buy a tag then hunt without any special licenses or permits. So why should I have to pay just cause I hunt more than he does and have less probability of killing something because of the limitations. Most years I don't fill one or the other of my big game tags, I just enjoy being outside from September-November.

If I had to buy a normal fishing license and an ice fishing license and had different regulations that would suck in my opinion just cause I like to fish more than everyone else. I don't even eat fish! I just like to do it. Everything I catch is released unless it is hooked bad then it is given to a coworker.

No thank you to more licenses or tags. My opinion and I hope nobody is offended.

I don't hunt anymore, but here in NY, the archery tags allow you to hunt earlier in the season.  Isn't that an incentive to getting it?  Is it not the same where you are?

Offline Bearseatfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2018, 10:27 AM »
If you want to give F&G more money for them to squander by all means give a donation there should be an option to donate while buying your licence online...
In winter we become gods and walk on water....

Offline paguy15545

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2018, 10:28 AM »
I don't hunt anymore, but here in NY, the archery tags allow you to hunt earlier in the season.  Isn't that an incentive to getting it?  Is it not the same where you are?

Yeah you get in earlier but here in Pa a standard hunting license is $20.90 and the privilege to archery hunt is a extra $16.90

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 12, 2018, 10:33 AM »
Hey, why stop there?

Why not have them issue a license for each and every body of water you want to fish, good for one day only, and then add on species-specific stamps to "allow" you to catch (not keep, as that's another stamp) just that species?

If you buy a license, you are usually allowed to fish on any public waters you want. (private waters if you know the owners...)
Maybe people tend to flock to that body of water because they are either lazy, live close by or don't know anywhere else?

Why would you want to pay more to do something that is affordable right now? Do you have extra $$ burning a hole in your pocket?
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2018, 10:44 AM »
I moved here from a state that had fees for everything. A second rod stamp, separate boat and camper permit for each county, permits and fees for campgrounds. I don't miss those things and don't want to see them here. Here license fees cover fish stocking, launch construction, maintenance and other necessary fees.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 12, 2018, 11:19 AM »
Is this a joke?  Let me get this straight.  You want more fees and more regulation?

That's what creel, size, slot limits are for aren't they?  Why impose more regulations specifically for ice fishing?

Your comparison of ice fisherman being close to each other vs boats is moot.  The cost of ice fishing is not the same as the cost of fishing and having a boat.  Guys can walk/drive right out to their fishing spot.  Not everyone can afford a boat.  Even then, for safety reasons boats must maintain a safe distance. 

This is a hard NO for me.

I hear you and thank you for that opinion. I think you are making my point, by saying that ice fishing is actually lot more affordable. I am looking at the lake pressure strictly from that perspective. How does it carry through open season with plenty of fish, but when ice forms it gets literally fished out within a week or so and becomes in desperate need of restocking. I can only see it from MN and my area in MN, but I think a direct restocking only funding for specific lakes fished would be a program more anglers wouldn't oppose. If you could register fish similar to big game for specific lakes, the DNR would then have better idea when combined with their survey methods. It wouldn't necessarily bring more regulation, just better management option with more funding for stocking. (many sportsman's clubs at area lakes already do this in addition to the DNR efforts too).

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 12, 2018, 11:21 AM »
Gosh, why stop at that? How about separate lisc for each body of water?  If a particular lake is getting too much pressure, just increase the lisc fee for that lake.  More fees,more taxes,  it's the American way.

Not a bad idea, especially for the Mille Lacs, I think that lake should be completely separated. Again, the money would have to go strictly to restocking only.

Offline Bearseatfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 12, 2018, 11:24 AM »
Mboss13 is trolling ha  :roflmao:

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 12, 2018, 11:26 AM »
I don't like the fact that the OP prefaces his suggestion by mentioning the amount of fishing pressure on his main lake.  Sounds like a veiled attempt to reduce the crowd under the guise of a new imposed fee towards stocking.

We want to grow the sport don't we?  Why create new barriers to entry?  Especially when a regular fishing license already provides that that privilege.

No, in fact I think that is great that so many are enjoying the hard water season. My issue is with the amount of fish stocked. The lakes around me do not produce any fish other than perch and bullhead (and carp), and so our precious state fish have to be stocked. If they are stocked only on some type of annual numbers "fry size" option, it doesn't seem to match the reality of the pressure. I also agree that the DNR could use the lottery for better stocking. (again your state may vary and that's why I asked). They certainly convinced us years ago about raising the sales tax in MN and then that money was supposed to be used for hunting/fishing (but never was specified in what way), and now I'm finding out that local city wall murals are paid for through that fund, it really makes me upset.

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 12, 2018, 11:26 AM »
no they get plenty of money right now and do a good job

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 12, 2018, 11:28 AM »
Mboss13 is trolling ha  :roflmao:

Really? What do you suggest for lakes that end up with trash floating everywhere and fishery almost destroyed at the end of ice season?

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 12, 2018, 11:36 AM »
At seventy one years of age. I have yet to see a local, state or national government. Use any tax money for the explicit use it was designed for.

Slush funds abound in every level of government. Tax monies that are earmarked for an express purpose. Somehow some way get funneled to some program that we have never voted on.

Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline Bearseatfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 12, 2018, 11:47 AM »
This is what I know every year or so we have a new fee stamps or licences come to pass, all with the guise of going to a good cause saving the loon for instance ultimately never being used for intended purpose.  I have a better way to "fix" one of the issues pick up trash when you find it. People are slobs and we as sportsman sometime have to pick up trash I know it sucks I do every year. As far as over fishing is concerned F&G regulate the amount of fish that can be legally take from most bodies of water and replenish on a semi annual basis.

Really? What do you suggest for lakes that end up with trash floating everywhere and fishery almost destroyed at the end of ice season?

How do you know the water is over fished? Have you spoke to F&G? Did you ask someone from PETA? or is it your intuition  telling you this.

I jest a little.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #22 on: Dec 12, 2018, 11:49 AM »
There are a few cities here in Colorado that don't allow ice fishing at all -- ahem, one particular one up in NoCo for those of you in the area.  I'm not sure if it's a safety ordinance, or because they just don't have the patrol staff to monitor the lakes and ponds, or because the citizens are just grumpy.  But if I could pay for a winter license, in order to support a patrol service, or whatever safety measures are needed...YES.  I'd be happy to shell out some mula to make it happen.  Some of the ponds up there would be killer to ice.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 12, 2018, 11:53 AM »
I purchase Illinois resident license and Wisconsin nonresident license. I use both year round. I have only had my IL license checked while ice fishing.

Offline MT_mulies

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Aim high, Miss High"
« Reply #24 on: Dec 12, 2018, 12:05 PM »

Yeah it allows you to hunt earlier, but that is like saying you need a special ice fishing license so you have the privilege of fishing later in the year (November and December in some places) and earlier in the year (January and February) in some places. I don't think that because I'm out more that I should have to pay more.

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 12, 2018, 12:07 PM »
This is what I know every year or so we have a new fee stamps or licences come to pass, all with the guise of going to a good cause saving the loon for instance ultimately never being used for intended purpose.  I have a better way to "fix" one of the issues pick up trash when you find it. People are slobs and we as sportsman sometime have to pick up trash I know it sucks I do every year. As far as over fishing is concerned F&G regulate the amount of fish that can be legally take from most bodies of water and replenish on a semi annual basis.

How do you know the water is over fished? Have you spoke to F&G? Did you ask someone from PETA? or is it your intuition  telling you this.

I jest a little.

I'll take a picture for you once they are all gone in the spring....

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 12, 2018, 12:07 PM »
Mboss does make a point about lakes that are stocked.  But that's the chance you take when you fish a lake that only has stocked fish.  If the fish don't reproduce in those waters, then the stocked fish are only put there to be caught by fishermen.  It doesn't matter whether they catch most of them in the winter or in the summer.  I'm sure there are a lot smarter people than me that manage the stocking program, and there are plenty of things they could do if they determine there's a problem.  Like making it catch and release only or a closed season for some species during certain months.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 12, 2018, 12:21 PM »
Seriously? You don't think MN has enough license fees already? lol idk wth the deal is - worse than having to pay 3 license fees to fish the ocean in california

Resident Licenses

Fee

Angling - 24-hour Code 110 (r)

$12.00

Angling - 3 year Individual - Code 141 (r)

$71.00

Angling - 72 Hour - Code 140 (r)

$14.00

Angling - combination (Married Couple) (r) - Code 112

$40.00

Angling - dark house rental (r) - Code 120

$30.00

Angling - dark house shelter (r) - Code 119

$15.00

Angling - individual (r) - Code 111

$25.00

Angling - military (r)

None

Angling - Netting white tulibee herring (r) - Code 115

$10.00

Angling - spearing from dark house (r) - Code 113

$6.00

Angling Dark House 3 Year Rental (r) - Code 132

$87.00

Angling Dark House 3 Year - Code 131

$42.00

Angling Youth Ages 16 to 17 - Code 138 (r)

$5.00

Conservation combo angling (r) - Code 106

$27.00

Conservation individual angling (r) - Code 105

$17.00

Disability permit - angling/spearing permanent (r)

None

Disability permit - angling/spearing special annual (r) - Code 107

None

Fishing tournament license

$

Lifetime angling renewal (r) - Code 411

None

Lifetime Resident Angling/Deer/Small Game/Sports/Spearing

Varies

Sports - combination (r) - Code 217

$57.00

Sports - individual (r) - Code 216

$41.00

Stamp - trout (validation & pictorial) - Code 129

$10.75

Stamp - trout validation - Code 128

$10.00

Stamp - walleye pictorial- voluntary - Code 135

$5.75

Stamp - walleye validation- voluntary - Code 134

$5.00

Stamps (collectable)

Varies

Sturgeon tag (r) - Code 130

$5.00

Super Sports Combination - Code 143

$126.00

Super Sports Individual - Code 142

$100.00

Non-Resident Licenses

Fee

Angling - 14-day couple (nr) -Code 125

$54.00

Angling - 24-hour Code 139 (nr)

$14.00

Angling - 7-day (nr)- Code 126

$43.00

Angling - 72-hour (nr)- Code 127

$36.00

Angling - family (nr) - Code 124

$68.00

Angling - individual (nr) - Code 121

$51.00

Angling - shelter (nr) - Code 116

$37.00

Angling - shelter 7-day (nr) - Code 117

$21.00

Angling - spearing from dark house (nr) - Code 118

$17.00

Angling - Youth Ages16 to 17 or Youth own limit (nr) - Code 205

$5.00

Lifetime angling renewal (nr) - Code 415

None

Lifetime NR Angling/Small Game

Varies

Stamp - trout (validation & pictorial) - Code 129

$10.75

Stamp - trout validation - Code 128

$10.00

Stamp - walleye pictorial- voluntary - Code 135

$5.75

Stamp - walleye validation- voluntary - Code 134

$5.00

Stamps (collectable)

Varies

Sturgeon tag (nr) - Code 130

$5.00

Catchin' Fish

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 12, 2018, 12:29 PM »
Yeah it allows you to hunt earlier, but that is like saying you need a special ice fishing license so you have the privilege of fishing later in the year (November and December in some places) and earlier in the year (January and February) in some places. I don't think that because I'm out more that I should have to pay more.

I'm not justifying the extra fees, nor do I condone them in general.  I was just pointing that out.  I don't know when it was set up that way, but it is how it is currently implemented for hunting.  I too, would not want that to be done for fishing.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 12, 2018, 12:32 PM »
An extra license and fee? Not only NO but H**L  NO!
Here where I live in Alaska some of the stocked Lake see a lot of fishing pressure both summer and winter.
But get out to some of the natural lakes that require a little bit further hike or a short snowmachine ride or whatever and then preaching pressure drops enormously.
Some of these put and take lakes do have a lot of fish removed.
But I also see in some lakes that have a lot of fishing pressure the fish just become tight-lipped.
You put a hundred or more people trampling around on a small Lake and the fish are going to get spooked.
Part of my regular license fee goes for fish stocking and if that doesn't cover it then they need to raise the price of my regular license. Not add another license and fee.
I also know the state of Minnesota has crews that go around and clean up boat ramps and lakes.
I used to be on an MCC crew and we did that every spring.
I've also been places where I've never seen people before while I'm ice fishing usually there isn't even any sign in the snow that someone else was there on some of these lakes, but they require a little more effort to get there.
I've also had lakes all to myself on a Wednesday come back on a Saturday with my buddy and their kids and it's packed full of people.
So you can't judge fishing pressure by 1 days activities or your inability to catch fish there.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.