Author Topic: Trout set ups  (Read 2463 times)

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Trout set ups
« Reply #30 on: Dec 13, 2018, 04:08 PM »
I'm usually fishing between 4 feet of water and 12 feet of water.
with 6-8 being my favorite most of the time.
occasionally on a few select Lakes I'll get in that 12 to 16 foot range but typically rainbow trout I don't have to fish that deep.
Usually I'm fishing within a foot of the bottom.
But I have had days where the fish were three feet off the bottom running along the tops of the weeds.
So wherever I'm seeing the most fish on my flasher is where I'm fishing.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 13, 2018, 04:20 PM »
For Steve,
When you go out to deeper water, what’s the deepest?

Offline waterlike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Dec 13, 2018, 04:33 PM »
i use a jaw jacker, 6lb ice braid, connected to a swivel and then 3 to 4 feet of fluorocarbon, usually 4lb or 6lb test. then i start with a pink vmc tugsten fly jig tipped with a half or quarter meal worm. if its dawn or dusk, definitly drill holes in the 2 to 4ft range near shore, in addition to holes up to 10 feet, but usually stay in 6 or less. ill also have a swedish pimple or kastmaster on teh same line setup jigging within 10 to 20 feet of my jaw jacker holes

Offline Tjtroutslayer89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team ConnectScale
« Reply #33 on: Dec 13, 2018, 04:45 PM »
What’s the depth of the lakes you guys are on? The lake I fish is small but it’s a sinkhole that goes to 60’ early ice we catch them in shallow but later in the season it seems you can catch them anywhere even over 60’ of water just under the ice.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Dec 13, 2018, 05:39 PM »
For Steve,
When you go out to deeper water, what’s the deepest?

Most often around 12-14 feet.

What’s the depth of the lakes you guys are on?

On a good water year, the max depth of the most common reservoirs for me is probably about 30 feet.   But the areas we fish never go that deep.  Like kasilofchrisn we normally hang out in depths from near zero to 12 ft.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #35 on: Dec 13, 2018, 08:35 PM »
Body of water i mainly trout fish on 150+ feet deep. I have best luck in 60-80 fow.
Few spots 40'
Large jigs with plastics mostly white,pink, light blue or chartreuse.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline sploke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 13, 2018, 09:41 PM »
When I'm fishing for brook trout, it's usually when I go up to Moosehead, so we spend an afternoon fishing along shore usually only up to 10-15', before heading out farther for salmon and lakers usually in 60-100' or more.
-Matt

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 02, 2019, 11:43 AM »
Unrelated, Steve, I notice a few more pictures in your signature. Good work (or should I say good work to the wife  ;D )

Gotta get some ice pictures down there in my signature.

Boom.  Got one!   ;D @)
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline jigapoolza

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 02, 2019, 12:09 PM »
Up here in Saskatchewan one of the top baits for Rainbow Trout especially is Berkeley power bait paste that comes in a small jar . Comes in numerous colours. Pink , yellow , orange , are all good choices.

Offline ajv5148

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Treehouse
« Reply #39 on: Jan 02, 2019, 12:45 PM »
Up here in Saskatchewan one of the top baits for Rainbow Trout especially is Berkeley power bait paste that comes in a small jar . Comes in numerous colours. Pink , yellow , orange , are all good choices.
Chunky cheese is always one of my favorites when fishing streams. Last year I did pretty well with a doughball on the deadstick, so I don't see why paste baits wouldn't work

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 02, 2019, 08:25 PM »
No more than 2 feet of water....Beaver Dam Tip up....#6 or #8 gold hook with a smelt or shiner ...I run a tiny swivel with 8 inches of leader to the hook and a split shot above the swivel.

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 03, 2019, 02:42 AM »
Boom.  Got one!   ;D @)

I saw the pic before i saw this post haha good for her and you! My wife was excited to kick off our first of hopefully what becomes a tradition of ice fishing Christmas eve. And she iced more than i did, so we were happy ;D

As far as trout, rainbows, 0 to 16 Fow but the fish can but at the top of the column. Brookies, 4 to 20 Fow, usually near bottom. Cutthroat, 4 to 40 Fow, usually fish near the bottom. But they are anywhere in the column.
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.