Author Topic: Friendly reminder  (Read 2472 times)

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Friendly reminder
« Reply #30 on: Dec 12, 2018, 12:33 PM »

Local fisheries manager says fish entrails are fine in the water unless near boat ramp, etc.  A little blood on the ice is a happy sign of a good dinner coming, for those of us that eat 'em.

Like fish you plan to take home and eat?  I have no problem with that.  One of the nice things about ice fishing is it is the time of year when it is easiest to get fish on ice ASAP.  [Different topic: Also the reason some folks think winter fish taste better--they never put their Summer fish on ice promtly.]

Dead fish you're not taking home? Not OK. And around here, depending on the fish species, illegal!

Everyone check your state regulations!  Here in Pennsylvania it's against the law to clean fish on the water (ice).
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline iTinker

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Self purported mad scientist
« Reply #31 on: Dec 12, 2018, 09:08 PM »
Another friendly reminder straight from reddit:

"What is this monstrosity? Not going in..." Wife (AM)

"Beer run? We're out..." Wife (mid morning after finishing a 6)

"Can we sleep out on the ice?" Wife (PM)

Yep...

Offline Tjtroutslayer89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team ConnectScale
« Reply #32 on: Dec 12, 2018, 10:26 PM »
Boys out motto for sure! Be safe everyone

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 13, 2018, 09:45 AM »
Does everyone walk to the shoreline to take a dump? Where I fish you'd be crapting next to someone's million dollar lake mansion if you did that. I snowmobile back to my own house but I've seen many people use buckets with bags in them or drill a half hole and fill it with snow after.

Please don't leave human waste on or in the ice.  The bucket/bag options are not so bad, and once it's sealed up and frozen packing it out is no big deal.

https://lnt.org/learn/principle-3
http://www.startribune.com/garbage-left-by-ice-fisherman-becoming-bigger-problem/412359083/
https://greatlakesecho.org/2010/02/04/lake-litter-crackdown-states-battle-trash-human-waste-left-by-ice-anglers/
https://blogs.mprnews.org/newscut/2015/02/dnr-to-everyone-on-mn-lakes-pick-up-your-garbage/
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Dec 13, 2018, 10:34 AM »
I take it you are a local fisheries biologist?
Otherwise you have no way of knowing which lakes have overpopulated and which have not.
I'm sure you also realize that those little fish eventually turn into big fish.
If you keep all the big perch and kill all the little perch eventually you will have no perch in the lake in a few years.
That's just how nature works!
"That's how nature works!"  Sorry but this assumes you, we all of us are a way better fishermen than other mere mortals. You could probably get away with an absolute like that if we were talking about a game fish.  Perch are pan fish.
If you have a lake that cannot produce enough forage for say walleye and some bucket biologist stocked it with walleye what you said could happen.  Typically you, we us can't fish a perch population down without nets, and that's is why perch are not managed or protected with  creel limits, as eventually most perch populations become stunted. That's why jumbo perch lakes are the exception not the rule.  That's also why you usually see perch size increases in lakes where tiger muskies are stocked; followed by perch size declines as the muskies die off.  All you need to do is observe the number of eggs in a perch egg sac versus say a crappie or gill, no biology degree required.  Just my obviously not so humble opinion based upon what I have read; however if there is a biologist in fisheries management on the forum that can more fully illuminate us on this fascinating topic I am willing to listen.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Dec 14, 2018, 12:23 AM »
If you keep all the big perch and release all the little perch you will have ALL little perch in a few years.  Anyhow I turn them into tomatoes, but if you left little perch on the ice I would not care.  There are exceptions, but typically you can't harvest enough perch to keep them from overpopulating and becoming stunted.
The practice of leaving fish on the ice is illegal in MT for a reason. The bottom line is: don't do it. The game warden doesn't care if the eagles and yotes are hungry.

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 14, 2018, 06:27 PM »
This forum makes you look for things, I found empty smoke pack and a 1 lb propane tank today

I am surprised what people leave

When I walk away I always stop and then look back to make sure I did not leave something

I think others just do not read or think about this

we had guys today set-up 10 ft from us, they acted like we were not there, I always ask hey is it ok if we set-up somewhat close we are pretty new at this and want to fish this spot. One guy today drilled about 20 holes with his crazy loud gas auger and never fished one hole.

the same guys today parked right at the boat ramp and not in the parking lot like others.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 14, 2018, 07:18 PM »
These slobs are not just ice fishermen.  On soft water the trash either sinks or floats to shore.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.