Author Topic: Friendly reminder  (Read 2475 times)

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
Friendly reminder
« on: Dec 11, 2018, 09:27 AM »
With a new season, please take whatever you brought onto the body of water.

Let's try to not have butts, bottles, cans, wrappers, bait containers, general trash on the ice.

Its filthy and not good for the sport we all love

I would love a few trips where I do not fill up a bag with trash from walking around fishing.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Friendly reminder
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2018, 09:32 AM »
Agreed!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2018, 09:33 AM »
I used to drive my ATV's all over the place and would fill a big trash bag up from those pigs that have no thought of what they are doing to Mother Earth. Thanks for the reminder.
<===Lefty===

Offline sledneck22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2018, 09:37 AM »
Just out of curiosity, what's everyone's opinion on fruit. Do you frown at apple, orange, or banana peels?
To fish or not to fish; there is no question.

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2018, 09:37 AM »
I HATE HATE HATE walking through evidence of urine on the ice. I use a jug.
Go to Heaven for the climate, to hell for the company!

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2018, 09:45 AM »
Just out of curiosity, what's everyone's opinion on fruit. Do you frown at apple, orange, or banana peels?
If you pack it in pack it out!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2018, 09:55 AM »

No issues with fruit, just wrappers and trash.  That said, if you can take it with you, please do so.

I've found bags of poo on the ice. God knows why but I've been the lucky winner with that before.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2018, 10:03 AM »
Thanks for the reminder! If you brought it on take it off with you... I even throw my peanut shells in the sled and vac 'em out when I get home. My only exception is to field strip a cigar butt. Ain't nothin' but leaves scattered in the wind. And no, I don't leave the band on. And no, plastic or wooden tips are not cigars...
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2018, 10:16 AM »
Thanks for the reminder! If you brought it on take it off with you... I even throw my peanut shells in the sled and vac 'em out when I get home. My only exception is to field strip a cigar butt. Ain't nothin' but leaves scattered in the wind. And no, I don't leave the band on. And no, plastic or wooden tips are not cigars...

I field strip my butts too. Stuff them in my pocket. If I'm gonna smoke, I'll deal with the stink of the butts.

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2018, 10:26 AM »
Totally agree.  But unfortunately there are to many idiots in this world.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2018, 11:03 AM »
I vote for take them off the ice with you.
Personally I throw that stuff in my compost pile at home as it's really good for my garden so I just take it with me regardless.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2018, 11:08 AM »
I HATE HATE HATE walking through evidence of urine on the ice. I use a jug.
If I'm close enough to shore I'll walk there to take a leak.
But otherwise I have no issue with it on the ice.
I suppose if someone had a permanent shack and had a large large area where they've all been going that would be one thing.
But it's rare where I fish to even see much evidence that somebody did that in the snow.
The next snowfall covers it up and the one before probably hid most of it to begin with.
I'm all for taking your trash with you and certainly don't want to find Little Brown piles with toilet paper frozen on the ice but a little urine in the snow never offended me and I'm not going to bring a jug and carry it off with me.
KasilofChrisN

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2018, 11:26 AM »
I pop a hole away from any other fisherman, piss in the hole.

I make sure I take care of dropping a ham at home in the comfort of my own bathroom.

If I have to release some demons on the ice. I'm heading into the woods. Away from everybody.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 2018, 11:27 AM »

I field strip my butts too. Stuff them in my pocket. If I'm gonna smoke, I'll deal with the stink of the butts.
I carry a zip lock bag dip the fire in the hole put the butts in the bag. Don’t leave nothing behind but the holes! Bigger plastic bag to pick up trash on the way out. To the person who opened the tread. Hopefully you are preaching to the choir!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2018, 12:04 PM »
A bigger issue in my opinion is line left on the ice.

Trash is trash no matter WHAT it is...pick it up! If it isn’t part of the natural environment, it doesn’t belong there!
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 11, 2018, 12:37 PM »
Ok, I'll be the first to bring up this age old controversy... what do people think about leaving dead fish on the ice? Personally I don't like it as I feel that non-fisherpeople might take exception to it. And guess what, the eagles and coyotes don't need any help being fed, they do just fine on their own.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 11, 2018, 02:14 PM »
that is for sure people do not be slobs

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 11, 2018, 03:15 PM »
If you bring it out, bring it back with you.

If you kill it, you better eat it!

If you have to fire a stream, bring an empty water bottle. (Can serve as a "hot" water bottle in a pinch)
If you have to deuce, do it at home BEFORE heading out, or take it to shore and dig a hole there.

Try to make it look like you cut a few holes and all that's left behind are the holes.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #18 on: Dec 11, 2018, 05:57 PM »
Ok, I'll be the first to bring up this age old controversy... what do people think about leaving dead fish on the ice? Personally I don't like it as I feel that non-fisherpeople might take exception to it. And guess what, the eagles and coyotes don't need any help being fed, they do just fine on their own.

The only dead fish on the ice should be the ones your taking home. I put back what I dont want. Live and let live

One story from over 10yrs ago. I was fishing a lake and there was a group of 4 or 5 guys fishing and throwing every hammer handle they caught onto the ice. Then it was perch and gills, even a few nice bass.

Literally over 60 fish on the ice. They left them there.

I'll never forget the image of all those fish just dead. No reason,  they didnt take any with them.

It infuriates me when I see this. There is no need. I dont care if your think fish are stunted, I dont care if you say it's a private pond. It shouldn't matter. Dont kill a fish for no reason. Ignorance and stupidity.

Or maybe it's me, I just see no valid reason to throw a fish on the ice if your not harvesting it.

What would happen if a hunter killed deer for no reason. Doe, bucks, fawn, didnt matter, they just killed them and left. How would that go down?

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 11, 2018, 06:02 PM »
I vote take it all home; garbage (esp. butts), even peels, etc.

Especially don't leave people poop on/in the ice.  That stuff belongs 200 ft. away from the water properly disposed (hard in Winter), or packed out.

Local fisheries manager says fish entrails are fine in the water unless near boat ramp, etc.  A little blood on the ice is a happy sign of a good dinner coming, for those of us that eat 'em.

Like fish you plan to take home and eat?  I have no problem with that.  One of the nice things about ice fishing is it is the time of year when it is easiest to get fish on ice ASAP.  [Different topic: Also the reason some folks think winter fish taste better--they never put their Summer fish on ice promtly.]

Dead fish you're not taking home? Not OK. And around here, depending on the fish species, illegal!
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 11, 2018, 07:26 PM »
The only time dead fish should be left on the ice is if you're taking them home for dinner and that's only while they're still in the area of where you're fishing.
The only exception to this is if you are fishing for an invasive species for which you are not allowed to return it to the water.
The species that I've dealt with that are invasive here in my area of Alaska we're very edible (northern pike)so we kept them anyway.

KasilofChrisN

Offline Hoserman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 11, 2018, 07:49 PM »
Oh I agree with all that has been said. As I have stated before, my other hobby is metal detecting and those of us that are responsible detectorists go by a code of ethics. Some of these do apply to ice fishing as well.
Code of Ethics
In order to protect your hobby it’s important to follow the metal detecting code of ethics-
1. Follow all local, state, and federal laws related to metal detecting.
2. Respect private property and never metal detect an area without permission.
3. Pack out what you pack in, and properly dispose of any trash you find.
4. Leave all gates, structures, and personal property as they were before.
5. Fill in every hole you dig. Leave no trace you were there.
6. Never dig in a way that harms vegetation, wildlife, or changes natural features.
7. Report any significant historical artifacts to local authorities.
8. Be an ambassador for the hobby by being courteous and thoughtful at all times.
Tried ice fishing with Dynamite, UGH... where's my shanty?

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 11, 2018, 08:10 PM »
The only dead fish on the ice should be the ones your taking home. I put back what I dont want. Live and let live

One story from over 10yrs ago. I was fishing a lake and there was a group of 4 or 5 guys fishing and throwing every hammer handle they caught onto the ice. Then it was perch and gills, even a few nice bass.

Literally over 60 fish on the ice. They left them there.

I'll never forget the image of all those fish just dead. No reason,  they didnt take any with them.

It infuriates me when I see this. There is no need. I dont care if your think fish are stunted, I dont care if you say it's a private pond. It shouldn't matter. Dont kill a fish for no reason. Ignorance and stupidity.

Or maybe it's me, I just see no valid reason to throw a fish on the ice if your not harvesting it.

What would happen if a hunter killed deer for no reason. Doe, bucks, fawn, didnt matter, they just killed them and left. How would that go down?

If you keep all the big perch and release all the little perch you will have ALL little perch in a few years.  Anyhow I turn them into tomatoes, but if you left little perch on the ice I would not care.  There are exceptions, but typically you can't harvest enough perch to keep them from overpopulating and becoming stunted.

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 11, 2018, 08:37 PM »
I bring back lots of trash that I generate and the stuff I find on the ice.  My leave behind is sunflower seeds.  I spit them out in the shanty.  Sorry, I just do....They are biodegradable.....
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline Jaggerhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 11, 2018, 09:22 PM »
Yea I cant stand the ice covered in butts and trash. I'm always picking people crap up.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 11, 2018, 11:20 PM »
With a new season, please take off whatever you brought onto the body of water.
Let's try to not have butts, bottles, cans, wrappers, bait containers, general trash on the ice.
I totally agree, but this is a statement you can make every year and you will still find the trash on the ice.  Always slobs in the world even in our sport, unfortunately.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 12, 2018, 09:10 AM »
If you keep all the big perch and release all the little perch you will have ALL little perch in a few years.  Anyhow I turn them into tomatoes, but if you left little perch on the ice I would not care.  There are exceptions, but typically you can't harvest enough perch to keep them from overpopulating and becoming stunted.
I take it you are a local fisheries biologist?
Otherwise you have no way of knowing which lakes have overpopulated and which have not.
I'm sure you also realize that those little fish eventually turn into big fish.
If you keep all the big perch and kill all the little perch eventually you will have no perch in the lake in a few years.
That's just how nature works!
KasilofChrisN

Offline Tjtroutslayer89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team ConnectScale
« Reply #27 on: Dec 12, 2018, 10:29 AM »
Respect the waters you fish people. Can’t tell you how much trash I pick up in a season. I make a few bucks off of all the beer cans I pick up or chisel out of holes. People are scumbags. If I see you littering I’m gonna b***h at you and I hope you swing at me.

Offline wayno2469

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 12, 2018, 12:08 PM »
To quote someone who should know, "You can't fix stupid!!!!" :tipup:

Offline Tuma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 12, 2018, 12:23 PM »
Boy Scout motto “leave no trace” Let’s all follow it.  Leaving no trace is everyone’s responsibility.  I pay my son to pick up trash when he needs to stretch his legs.  I am hoping he won’t make a dime this year.  Hope everyone has a great and safe year.
TINY RODWORKS  custom rods and tackle

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.