Author Topic: Ice House Renders  (Read 1849 times)

Offline DBerkshire

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice House Renders
« on: Jul 19, 2018, 05:31 PM »
Hi!

After a few months of deliberation, and as much research as I could handle, I have decided on a final plan for what I hope to build for a fish/ice house. I used Google Sketchup for the first time this last week to create the house, so go easy one me! jpohlic has a build very close tot he render I've made so shout out to them for the inspiration.

My next step is to research how to properly frame the beast and a materials list. Not shown are the skids that would be on the bottom and the holes themselves. I'm also thinking a bait tank built into one of the seats might be nice or a shelf above one of the seats to hold stuff.

The dimensions will approximately be 8 ft long, 6 ft wide - plus 2 ft on each side for the benches - for a total of 10 ft in width, and 6'6 tall.
Alternative dimensions could be 8 ft long, 4 ft wide - plus 2 ft on each side for the benches - for a total of 8 ft in width.

Offline timr35

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice House Renders
« Reply #1 on: Aug 03, 2018, 07:17 AM »
I built my shanty in that same design 4 years ago and love it , lots of room and very warm.
Mine is 12' long 8' wide, benches are 8' long 2' wide so you can sleep on them if you want to.
It has 6 , 12'' square holes for lots of room to fish or use the last set as a beverage cooler .
I can cook inside on the wood stove or out side on a coleman stove that sits on the outside shelf.

Offline DBerkshire

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Aug 08, 2018, 02:18 PM »
Nice! I'm really starting to dig this style more and more as I research.

Did you insulate any portions of the house?

My only concern now is trying to figure out how to get it on and off the ice. How do you transport yours? Do you use jacks to lift it onto a trailer bed?..

Dana

Offline curtis_rak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Aug 28, 2018, 12:31 PM »
Good work with Sketchup. I am going to dig into that program for my upcoming build. If the render looks half as good as yours I will be happy (my current drawing is on a napkin).

Couple things;
- Good consideration of the bump-out for the stove. I have a bump out on my current shanty and without one you lose quite a bit of space to put gear, feet, etc.

- My current shanty only has the floor insulated. Its 8x7 plus the bump out and I find on a -20c day, the stove keeps it more than toasty inside. I plugged a few little cracks/gaps around the door, window, and roof where I had noticed small drafts and I have no complaints. My 2nd shanty, which I will be starting here in a couple weeks, will be 8x12 with the same size stove. I'm going to insulate the floor and ceiling initially, and just see how it goes as to whether or not I do the walls.

- Transport: I have pressure treated 2x8 skids under my shanty (2 laminated together per skid), with puck board on the bottom to it slides on the ice and snow. to take it to and from the lake at the beginning and end of the season I use a 2000lb winch mounted to the front of my ski-door trailer. This just pulls the whole shanty right up the skidoo ramp. To unload I used to use a come-along to skid it backwards down the ramp, now I use my tractor bucket to pull it off and guide of down the ramp.

(sorry photobucket wont let me embed...)
http://s19.photobucket.com/user/curtis_rak/media/unlocked/IMG_0928_zpsatpvne4e.jpg.html
http://s19.photobucket.com/user/curtis_rak/media/unlocked/IMG_0566_zpswamjgnwx.jpg.html
http://s19.photobucket.com/user/curtis_rak/media/unlocked/IMG_0585_zpsc3vehcox.jpg.html

Offline timr35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 11, 2018, 05:24 PM »
Nice! I'm really starting to dig this style more and more as I research.

Did you insulate any portions of the house?

My only concern now is trying to figure out how to get it on and off the ice. How do you transport yours? Do you use jacks to lift it onto a trailer bed?..

Dana
I did insulate the walls, benches, and floor but not the roof or around the stove. Also covered the entire belly of the hut with plastic (same type as crazy carpet) to help slide over snow, the ski's are covered with puck board to help slide on the ice. As far as getting it there , it was also designed to fit in my 16 foot by 50 inch wide ATV trailer, to get it in the trailer we jack knife the truck with the trailer and pull it up and into the trailer with a second truck using a tow strap.  On the ice we just tow it with a ATV, at the end of the season we sometimes use one pulling and another pushing to get it off , and repeat the loading with two trucks. I do use a car jack to lift it up once on the ice to slip 4x4 blocks under the skis to keep it from freezing in .
Good luck with your build, if you need any pics or advice just ask .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.