Author Topic: Electric ice auger suggestions Razr/ Ion etc  (Read 1012 times)

Offline mikeylapew

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Hard water- good times"
Electric ice auger suggestions Razr/ Ion etc
« on: Feb 19, 2018, 07:03 AM »
I'm ready for a power auger, shove ice is a bear with the hand auger. Anybody here have experience with the brands mentioned and willing to share?  :-\
Fishing or going..

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
Re: Electric ice auger suggestions Razr/ Ion etc
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2018, 07:11 AM »
Use your hand auger bit get a adapter and get your self a Milwaukee Mud mixer

Offline tightliner3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2018, 08:13 AM »
How thick is the ice typically where you fish?  That is a question that should be answered first. Have the ion x and absolutely love it. Hands down best purchase I have made.

Offline drillin n chillin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2018, 08:43 AM »
I have the ION and love it. Bought the 10" auger.

Offline tightliner3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2018, 08:46 AM »
I should mention I run the 8" auger on mine. If I go for pan fish I have the ability to add the extension and attach my 6" Mora hand auger.

Offline kevs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2018, 08:55 AM »
 I purchased the ION X 8" this year and am very satisfied with it. No issues drilling thru any kind of ice, reopening holes, straight up or at an angle. Takes no pressure just set it on ice and squeeze triggers. Back flush works great also. Thickest ice I drilled was 14" and went thru it easily.

Offline guthook1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2018, 09:33 AM »
My Ion X came with a 12" extension - I believe that they all do.  Works great for drilling out old holes - we have a 6 hole wheelhouse and do a lot of re-opening holes.

Offline stout93

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2018, 10:59 AM »
I bought the regular ION 8" a few weeks ago.

I only drill a few holes when I go out, but we have close to 30 inches of ice here in central MN and it has no problem.

I would say it's twice as fast as my gas Eskimo Mako.

Offline slushybeer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2018, 11:19 AM »
This brand isn't mentioned but I have the Trophy Strike 120V 2018 model and it's amazing! I've been drilling through 25 inches of ice in around 10 seconds with no effort at all, just pull the trigger. Would recommend to anyone going electric.

Offline iowapackfan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2018, 11:29 AM »
 ;DHave had the 8 in. w/reverse for 3 years now and really love it. Lightweight, (only 22 lbs.) and plenty of power for a days fishing.
God,Country, and the Green Bay Packers

Offline T-Hawker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2018, 10:33 PM »
Upgraded from a 2-stroke Strikemaster Lazer Mag to an Ion X a couple of weeks ago - can't ever see going back.  Just returned from a trip to MN where the Ion X worked great on ice that was over 24" thick (probably closer to 30").  I had the 12" extension on and came within a few inches of bottoming the power head into the ice shaving cone when I was drilling.  Probably drilled 50 holes and battery was still showing 3 bar (full) charge.  Also love it for reopening holes in my permanent (quiet and no 2-stroke smell) and it's nice to put it on top of my Clam flip-over without working where the 2 stroke oil from the muffler on the old auger is going to drip.

I bought the 8" auger.  Highly recommend.  Local sport shop shot me a great price of $539 for the Ion X.
Seasoned deer hunter, greenhorn fisherdude.

Offline mikeylapew

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Hard water- good times"
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2018, 08:23 AM »
Upgraded from a 2-stroke Strikemaster Lazer Mag to an Ion X a couple of weeks ago - can't ever see going back.  Just returned from a trip to MN where the Ion X worked great on ice that was over 24" thick (probably closer to 30").  I had the 12" extension on and came within a few inches of bottoming the power head into the ice shaving cone when I was drilling.  Probably drilled 50 holes and battery was still showing 3 bar (full) charge.  Also love it for reopening holes in my permanent (quiet and no 2-stroke smell) and it's nice to put it on top of my Clam flip-over without working where the 2 stroke oil from the muffler on the old auger is going to drip.

I bought the 8" auger.  Highly recommend.  Local sport shop shot me a great price of $539 for the Ion X.
Thank you all, very helpful information, fish on...
Fishing or going..

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2018, 07:00 PM »
This brand isn't mentioned but I have the Trophy Strike 120V 2018 model and it's amazing! I've been drilling through 25 inches of ice in around 10 seconds with no effort at all, just pull the trigger. Would recommend to anyone going electric.
I own an ion and love that thing but the trophy strike may be worth a look,lots of owners

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.