Author Topic: Initial review Vexilar Tribeam on FLX28  (Read 2745 times)

Offline yellowhog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My Fishing Partner
Initial review Vexilar Tribeam on FLX28
« on: Feb 16, 2018, 12:30 PM »
Hang on Doc, I’ll be as gentle as possible here haha.

Found a good used Tribeam and got the chance to take it for a test drive yesterday afternoon.

I’m not sure if it’s just my 28 that acts this way or if it’s normal But, half the time while set to Auto and in LP, digital depth display is intermittent, sometimes it’ll show and others it won’t plus it’s SLOW to figure out what it wants to do once it’s first powered up.

Honestly I wish I had kept the FLX20 bc honestly I could get away with less of the gadgets on this 28, needing both hands to make initial adjustments at startup.... but anyways this is intended to be about my initial opinion on the Tribeam compared to the ProView

We setup over 12’ of murky water with about 18” of visibility.

Would not work on 20* cone setting. I don’t get it but no matter what adjustments I attempted to make it just wouldn’t read. So I ran it on the 12*

I find it’s far less sensitive than the PV and could even run it on normal mode and still get a nice thin line using either a 1/4oz vertical PK lure or a 2” horizontal CD5 Salmo. Granted I had the gain turned right down to be able to get that thin line but quite a pleasing difference over the powerful PV. 

Not sure if the water was just too dirty/silty for the 20* to function but one thing I did notice in the basement before we hit the ice yesterday, I suspended the TB from the rafters and over a hard area of flooring... it hung about 3’ above the floor, set switch to 8*, fairly audible snap, less with 12*, and could Barely hear it snapping while set to 20*.. is this normal. I’m wondering if the 20* is maybe meant for water less than 10’ because she didn’t work in the depth we were setup over.
Grant me another day on the Ice

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Initial review Vexilar Tribeam on FLX28
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2018, 01:33 PM »
I would think the 20 degree should be good up to 20ft.ive been using my fl22 with the tribeam in the 20 degree setting lately.water depth 10 to 20ft.anything deeper goes to the 12 degree setting..my flx28 in manual lp mode shows digital depth on and off sometimes too.did you get the newer version tribeam or the older red band style?

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2018, 02:21 PM »
Hang on Doc, I’ll be as gentle as possible here haha.

Ended up purchasing a used Tribeam from openingact and finally had it arrive yesterday so of course I had to take it for a test drive yesterday afternoon.

I’m not sure if it’s just my 28 that acts this way or if it’s normal But, half the time while set to Auto and in LP, digital depth display is intermittent, sometimes it’ll show and others it won’t plus it’s SLOW to figure out what it wants to do once it’s first powered up.

Honestly I wish I had kept the FLX20 bc honestly I could get away with less of the gadgets on this 28, needing both hands to make initial adjustments at startup.... but anyways this is intended to be about my initial opinion on the Tribeam compared to the ProView

We setup over 12’ of murky water with about 18” of visibility.

Would not work on 20* cone setting. I don’t get it but no matter what adjustments I attempted to make it just wouldn’t read. So I ran it on the 12*

I find it’s far less sensitive than the PV and could even run it on normal mode and still get a nice thin line using either a 1/4oz vertical PK lure or a 2” horizontal CD5 Salmo. Granted I had the gain turned right down to be able to get that thin line but quite a pleasing difference over the powerful PV. 

Not sure if the water was just too dirty/silty for the 20* to function but one thing I did notice in the basement before we hit the ice yesterday, I suspended the TB from the rafters and over a hard area of flooring... it hung about 3’ above the floor, set switch to 8*, fairly audible snap, less with 12*, and could Barely hear it snapping while set to 20*.. is this normal. I’m wondering if the 20* is maybe meant for water less than 10’ because she didn’t work in the depth we were setup over.

Not sure what you tried, but I would give these settings a try to see if anything changes on your 20° angle:

Option #1
Start up the unit in Weed Mode
Change the color mode to #1 or #5
Change from Auto Range to Manual Settings - select 20 if in 12' FOW
Adjust Gain
You still have the option of Auto Zoom if you desire

Option #2
Start up the unit in Normal Mode
Switch to Low Power
Adjust Gain
You lose the option of Auto Zoom

Option #3
Switch to Low Power
Adjust Gain

I'm just about to jump into my own field comparison between the TB and PV transducers on my FLX-28 just to see for myself what does what under whatever scenarios.  The more I have used the PV the more I have gotten to appreciate how it functions overall on the 28, but it definitely has more of a learning curve than other transducers and some weak spots depending on what you are looking for in your style of fishing.  I was soooo very tempted to put my TB on the FLX-28 soon after I started using the PV that came with it - I really do understand people's frustration with it due to the 9° cone angle and gain control "variability" - but I really wanted to give the FLX-28/PV setup a good going over before I did do the switch.  Between the fidelity of the FLX-28 circuitry and the large single crystal in the PV, the control of the power becomes the main issue in terms of tweaking the system - sounds like from what you're saying the TB transducer helps curb that power, which makes sense due to the difference in crystal arrangement/size. 

Offline yellowhog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My Fishing Partner
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2018, 09:51 PM »
I would think the 20 degree should be good up to 20ft.ive been using my fl22 with the tribeam in the 20 degree setting lately.water depth 10 to 20ft.anything deeper goes to the 12 degree setting..my flx28 in manual lp mode shows digital depth on and off sometimes too.did you get the newer version tribeam or the older red band style?

I expected the 20* to work for sure up to at least 15’ and I’m just hoping all it is is due to the stained water we were hovered over. If not it’ll have to go to Vexilar for them to look at.

Does yours Doc take oh, say 15 seconds or longer upon initial startup to detect and start to display ??

Thankfully I got the newer version with the solid black composite.

Offline yellowhog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My Fishing Partner
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2018, 10:19 PM »
Not sure what you tried, but I would give these settings a try to see if anything changes on your 20° angle:

Option #1
Adjust Gain
You still have the option of Auto Zoom if you desire

Option #2
Start up the unit in Normal Mode
Switch to Low Power
Adjust Gain

Option #3
Switch to Low Power
Adjust Gain

I'm just about to jump into my own field comparison between the TB and PV transducers on my FLX-28 just to see for myself what does what under whatever scenarios.  The more I have used the PV the more I have gotten to appreciate how it functions overall on the 28, but it definitely has more of a learning curve than other transducers and some weak spots depending on what you are looking for in your style of fishing.  I was soooo very tempted to put my TB on the FLX-28 soon after I started using the PV that came with it - I really do understand people's frustration with it due to the 9° cone angle and gain control "variability" - but I really wanted to give the FLX-28/PV setup a good going over before I did do the switch.  Between the fidelity of the FLX-28 circuitry and the large single crystal in the PV, the control of the power becomes the main issue in terms of tweaking the system - sounds like from what you're saying the TB transducer helps curb that power, which makes sense due to the difference in crystal arrangement/size.

Tnx Bucket Rump for your suggestions..

I was advised by Tom at Vexilar when I was having overpowering issues with the PV, to set the 28 from Low Power mode I’d been using, to Weed Mode... all that did was make my bait presentation even worse. It gave me such a super wide band you’d think there was a picnic table below ya. I’ll try it but from my recent experience...

On my FL18 I got so used to green/yellow/red because it got the job done just fine. Now with the 5 colour options on the 28, I’m diggin #4, I’m not colour blind and not sure why I would use #5...
#1 from the brief few moments I’ve messed with that option, and again I’m all ears, but why in the world would anyone use that or #2 when 3 and 4 work so well ?? But again, I’ll give it a go but of this thing will only work on 1 or 5 it’s useless to me because I didn’t spend that much money on the flasher and now the TB to be limited to two colour modes truthfully I can’t stand haha.

I have been mostly using the manual depth range and yes using the 20’ scale for say 11’

I’m guessing I’ve spent 40-60 hrs with this new 28/PV and I’ve got that I’m mostly ok with it but it is one powerful/harsh beam. It’s too narrow for my liking. Sure I catch fish and sure some might not care about anything unless it’s right close to their presentation, but we’re not all the same.. I don’t like the idea of fishing 10’ and having roughly 1’ of bottom coverage with my ducer.. I’d prefer to know what’s in a 3’-4’ area instead and preciously my reasoning to get the TB. In my opinion for the 10’-20’ depths we’ve been fishing eyes this past month or so, the 12* is much more versatile/softer/more forgiving/easier to adjust to get that narrow green line..

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2018, 05:46 AM »
I expected the 20* to work for sure up to at least 15’ and I’m just hoping all it is is due to the stained water we were hovered over. If not it’ll have to go to Vexilar for them to look at.

Does yours Doc take oh, say 15 seconds or longer upon initial startup to detect and start to display ??

Thankfully I got the newer version with the solid black composite.
no mine takes about a second to display,in lp auto mode it might toggle between different depths trying to lock on bottom once in awhile.as far as different color schemes that makes no difference in performance besides personal preference.i mainly use 3,4 and 5.im not getting it I fish heavily stained water that is so stained the ice looks like coffee when I pull the auger up.20 degree setting should work no matter what the water looks like.and a lot  of the fl8 se come with a 19 degree/similar to a 20/ and work from 10 to 80 ft no problems.good  luck bro I'm going fishing.feed that cat while I'm gone..jay

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2018, 07:21 AM »
Curious to hear how the TB works for you guys. I'm not very happy with the PV in the shallow water I've been fishing this year and am going to grab a TB to try. (Unless I go full on crazy and just buy the Garmin panoptix transducer for my echomap!)

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2018, 07:01 AM »
Tnx Bucket Rump for your suggestions..

I was advised by Tom at Vexilar when I was having overpowering issues with the PV, to set the 28 from Low Power mode I’d been using, to Weed Mode... all that did was make my bait presentation even worse. It gave me such a super wide band you’d think there was a picnic table below ya. I’ll try it but from my recent experience...

On my FL18 I got so used to green/yellow/red because it got the job done just fine. Now with the 5 colour options on the 28, I’m diggin #4, I’m not colour blind and not sure why I would use #5...
#1 from the brief few moments I’ve messed with that option, and again I’m all ears, but why in the world would anyone use that or #2 when 3 and 4 work so well ?? But again, I’ll give it a go but of this thing will only work on 1 or 5 it’s useless to me because I didn’t spend that much money on the flasher and now the TB to be limited to two colour modes truthfully I can’t stand haha.

I have been mostly using the manual depth range and yes using the 20’ scale for say 11’

I’m guessing I’ve spent 40-60 hrs with this new 28/PV and I’ve got that I’m mostly ok with it but it is one powerful/harsh beam. It’s too narrow for my liking. Sure I catch fish and sure some might not care about anything unless it’s right close to their presentation, but we’re not all the same.. I don’t like the idea of fishing 10’ and having roughly 1’ of bottom coverage with my ducer.. I’d prefer to know what’s in a 3’ or wider area instead and preciously my reasoning to get the multi cone TB. In my opinion for the 10’-20’ depths we’ve been fishing eyes this past month or so, the 12* is much more versatile/softer/more forgiving/easier to adjust to get that narrow green line..

Sadly this next week of predicted unseasonably warm weather mixed in with 3 days of Extremely Heavy rain I’m betting it’ll will be the demise of our ice for this winter up here so I likely won’t get the chance to try your tests out...possibly Sunday I might be able to go test the ice,  spudding every step of the way!!

My understanding is the color palette selection comes into play with how the unit software processes the transducer return signal and is consequently displayed.  The #4 selection with all five colors will display essentially everything the transducer picks up - there is no filtering applied by the software - and if there is some amount of turbidity, algae bloom, baitfish, plankton, etc. in the signal area it's going to try and show it.  By switching to any of the other color palettes that reduce the number of color options you are telling the unit to start filtering out some elements that the software would deem non-essential.  The #2 selection with only 2 colors displayed applies the highest degree of filtration and will ignore most anything that would be considered clutter - helpful at times like muddy water from river runoff conditions is my thinking.  I was just wondering if the wider 20-degree cone angle and weaker return single on your TB combined with the "no filter" setting of the five color readout was playing into how your unit was reacting to the feedback of the stained water you were fishing in, especially if the staining was caused by "larger" particulates in the water.  I'm definitely no expert on this, but I'm interested in figuring just what the FLX-28 can/cannot do under a range of conditions with both the TB and the PV transducer setups.

Good luck on holding onto your ice conditions over there!  Hoping for another month or so around here

Offline yellowhog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My Fishing Partner
« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2018, 02:06 PM »
no mine takes about a second to display,in lp auto mode it might toggle between different depths trying to lock on bottom once in awhile.as far as different color schemes that makes no difference in performance besides personal preference.i mainly use 3,4 and 5.im not getting it I fish heavily stained water that is so stained the ice looks like coffee when I pull the auger up.20 degree setting should work no matter what the water looks like.and a lot  of the fl8 se come with a 19 degree/similar to a 20/ and work from 10 to 80 ft no problems.good  luck bro I'm going fishing.feed that cat while I'm gone..jay

Took me a bit to regain the confidence of Your timid cat Jay, not sure why but hey it’s fed anyways while you’re out selling the world on the mighty ProView ;-)

Ya I figured something’s gotta be up with this Tribeam not wanting to work unless I do this that and don’t cover to push this too. I’m sorry but I’m really bummed out with this whole deal. Big bucks to purchase the 28 then another few hundy on the TB and it still doesn’t work flawlessly. I wanna turn the thing on with few of processes to go through to allow me to fish. My ol FL18 worked great no fuss no muss and the 12* was ideal. Then some marketing expert decides hey let’s completely change things up and add this this and oh ya this too. The advent of the 28 and now I’m stuck with it. That FLX20 I’m kickin myself for returning it thinking the 28 would somehow be superior, man just another mark for experience!!

Offline yellowhog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My Fishing Partner
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2018, 02:14 PM »
My understanding is the color palette selection comes into play with how the unit software processes the transducer return signal and is consequently displayed.  The #4 selection with all five colors will display essentially everything the transducer picks up - there is no filtering applied by the software - and if there is some amount of turbidity, algae bloom, baitfish, plankton, etc. in the signal area it's going to try and show it.  By switching to any of the other color palettes that reduce the number of color options you are telling the unit to start filtering out some elements that the software would deem non-essential.  The #2 selection with only 2 colors displayed applies the highest degree of filtration and will ignore most anything that would be considered clutter - helpful at times like muddy water from river runoff conditions is my thinking.  I was just wondering if the wider 20-degree cone angle and weaker return single on your TB combined with the "no filter" setting of the five color readout was playing into how your unit was reacting to the feedback of the stained water you were fishing in, especially if the staining was caused by "larger" particulates in the water.  I'm definitely no expert on this, but I'm interested in figuring just what the FLX-28 can/cannot do under a range of conditions with both the TB and the PV transducer setups.

Good luck on holding onto your ice conditions over there!  Hoping for another month or so around here

Appreciate the info and reply BR, but man I gotta he honest I’m no rocket scientist nor do I care to be... the time I get to hit the ice I wanna fish, have some fun with my buddies out there and have the confidence in a tool I chose to invest in without having to go through a bunch of different configurations to get this blasted machine to show me what’s down there. It’s too much and quite honestly I’ve all but lost my confidence in Vexilars ability at least with the 28 I own, to make it an enjoyable time while using this flasher. This 28 and now everything you’ve explained ( which I do appreciate) has turned something that should be simple and straight forward into a completely over complicated load of crap and I’m sure disappointed right now. Sorry but that’s how I feel.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2018, 02:36 PM »
Appreciate the info and reply BR, but man I gotta he honest I’m no rocket scientist nor do I care to be... the time I get to hit the ice I wanna fish, have some fun with my buddies out there and have the confidence in a tool I chose to invest in without having to go through a bunch of different configurations to get this blasted machine to show me what’s down there. It’s too much and quite honestly I’ve all but lost my confidence in Vexilars ability at least with the 28 I own, to make it an enjoyable time while using this flasher. This 28 and now everything you’ve explained ( which I do appreciate) has turned something that should be simple and straight forward into a completely over complicated load of crap and I’m sure disappointed right now. Sorry but that’s how I feel.

Sounds like one of the lower models would have been a better choice for you. They don't have all the bells and whistles, but there's something to be said for that.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #11 on: Feb 18, 2018, 05:58 PM »
man bro.my flx 28 is not so figidy.most times I turn it on in auto, let it find the depth and see if I need lp mode  or not.if I don't like that display I turn it to manual set depth and fish.im puzzled for sure.all within a few seconds and fishing.

Offline yellowhog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My Fishing Partner
« Reply #12 on: Feb 18, 2018, 11:26 PM »
I sent an email to the folks at Vexilar so hopefully they’ll get back to me

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 19, 2018, 12:13 PM »
Hopefully the guys at Vex can get things ironed out for you on that Tri Beam, YH! 

Offline yellowhog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My Fishing Partner
« Reply #14 on: Feb 19, 2018, 12:26 PM »
Just got off the phone with Tyler over at Vexilar and when I mentioned this Tribeam wouldn’t calibrate and show bottom in 12’ of water while using the 20*, right away he asked me if I was in Low Power mode, which I was (gotten used to thinking to use LP exclusively while in the shallows) he said because the signal is so weak while using the 20*, I need to be using the Normal power instead. So if this is the case, then maybe nothing wrong with this TB after all. Now to wait for these next 3 days of torrential rain and unseasonably warm temps to pass and possibly have to head 5hrs north to test this thing out.

One other thing while I think of it he also mentioned when I mentioned my Digital display works intermittently, again he asked if I’m using LP mode, yup, well, it needs to be in Normal mode to function properly.

He also mentioned so many irate customers have been calling in regarding this same issue, Vexilar has “eliminated” the DD on their new FLX series

Offline MT Hank

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My Fishin Buddy
« Reply #15 on: Feb 19, 2018, 10:09 PM »
Took me a bit to regain the confidence of Your timid cat Jay, not sure why but hey it’s fed anyways while you’re out selling the world on the mighty ProView ;-)

Ya I figured something’s gotta be up with this Tribeam not wanting to work unless I do this that and don’t cover to push this too. I’m sorry but I’m really bummed out with this whole deal. Big bucks to purchase the 28 then another few hundy on the TB and it still doesn’t work flawlessly. I wanna turn the thing on with few of processes to go through to allow me to fish. My ol FL18 worked great no fuss no muss and the 12* was ideal. Then some marketing expert decides hey let’s completely change things up and add this this and oh ya this too. The advent of the 28 and now I’m stuck with it. That FLX20 I’m kickin myself for returning it thinking the 28 would somehow be superior, man just another mark for experience!!

I agree with the FL18... Bullet proof! I sold mine and I bought a FLX28, used it once and took it back. Bought a FL20 with the PV transducer and I am on my second year with it and finally I am (at times) getting comfortable with it. I long for my old FL18!!! Wish I never sold it!

Offline yellowhog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My Fishing Partner
« Reply #16 on: Feb 20, 2018, 12:26 PM »
Ya man the 18’s are worthy units with the zoom and all but the newer units with the faces closer to flush sure makes viewing easier

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.