The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: MWO Update #2  (Read 757 times)

Offline walleyehawger

• IceShanty Rookie
MWO Update #2
« on: Jan 19, 2018, 03:37 PM »
Jan 19, 2018

Midwest open Update #2

Because of the changing forecast for the next 3 days we will be able to confirm that the 2018 Midwest Open will go on as planned next weekend. What we can not confirm at this time because of 2 warm weather days in the next week is if the Tournament will be a walking event or a riding event. That will not be determined until the rules meeting on Saturday night because the 2nd warm weather event is forecasted for next Friday the 26th. Until we pass through that day or the forecast comes our way we will not know if the event will be walking or riding. If it is a walking event and half the lake will be removed from the tournament (a map will be given on Tuesday with the walking events boundary so the teams can plan accordingly). All of these issues are for everyone’s safety.

We have made a bridge to enter the ice at the State launch. Please use it no matter what the ice conditions are. We built the bridge to try and save the shore line during these warm ups and rain events forecasted. If used and the shore line holds it will make it easier for us to decide if it is a walking event or riding event next week. I am sorry that this is all we can say at this time but when you have 2 warm ups in a week we have to plan ahead and take all precautions. I have listed below the current ice conditions on the lake as of 2 pm on Friday the 19th of January.

Launch 11”
South Side 10.5”
Narrows 12.5”
Sandy Beach 13”
North East Corner 12”
North 10”
Cherry Point 9”

Remember you have until 5 pm today to decide to get out or stay in so we can give the alternates time to enter and prepare. I will again give an Ice report on Tuesday as stated in the first Midwest Open update.

Have a great weekend and be safe.

Tom Knutson

Offline JoeDirtToo

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: MWO Update #2
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2018, 07:44 AM »
Super cool idea on the ramp.  I hope it works. 

Question for the locals...

Is there anyone familiar with the lake that would have some insight as to why they would close off 2/3 of the water if they are forced to make it a walking tournament?  Not sure I understand why they would want everyone to fish so close together.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2018, 07:51 AM »
Is there anyone familiar with the lake that would have some insight as to why they would close off 2/3 of the water if they are forced to make it a walking tournament?  Not sure I understand why they would want everyone to fish so close together.

My guess is so the officials can monitor the contestants.

Offline SKAMPO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2018, 07:56 AM »
There is a shallow sand bar that cuts the lake in half (not quite) and it's the first spot to get sketchy for wheelers & such. It runs from cherry point all the way to the other side of the lake.

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2018, 08:09 AM »
Devil's is a 1300 acre lake. There would still be a square mile to fish.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline JoeDirtToo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2018, 10:36 AM »
Devil's is a 1300 acre lake. There would still be a square mile to fish.

Skif,

One square mile may seem like a lot of area.  I just wonder how much of that one square mile has fish in it.  If the lake is safe to traverse on foot why not use the entire lake?

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2018, 06:54 PM »
I agree. 100%. Would I walk that far. Nope. For $20,000. HMMMMM.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.