Author Topic: Fishing with perch eyes  (Read 908 times)

Offline lightbitecanuck

• IceShanty Rookie
Fishing with perch eyes
« on: Jan 19, 2018, 08:57 PM »
Many us use perch eyes as bait im sure. Any trade secrets on harvesting methods and storage. I tryed pill bottle and freeze but they didnt separate well after freezing

Offline Pollock fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Fishing with perch eyes
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2018, 09:04 PM »
I just freeze mine in a ziplock bag... put 4 or 5 in a bag and just make sure they are not touching at all and all separated while they freeze. Once frozen they can no longer freeze together till they are thawed out again. I freeze my home made burgers the exact same way, lol...

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2018, 09:20 PM »
I remove the eyes of all my fish before letting them go! Lol! Jk. ;)

If I do have any I usually just keep them in a clean minnow container or Ziplock bag.
//.\\//.\\ark

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2018, 10:32 PM »
I put the eyes in a plastic container with a lid. I pour enough sunflower oil to cover them and put them in the freezer. They stay pretty fresh and don.t freeze together. I prefer oils that turn to liquid quickly as they are thawed.
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline OverUnder725

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2018, 11:07 PM »
Churchill River showed me how to take them when I met him at Blackstrap one day.  I push down below the eye with my thumb until I can get just under it, kind of, then roll it up and out.  I then take a pair of side cutters and cut the connecting eye muscle and done.  I tried to pluck them out completely by using my thumb but ended up ruining to many.  I then freeze them on paper towel (extra fun when you daughter goes to get the iced cream out of the freezer, hahaha!) so they are not touching and then into a pill bottle and keep in the freezer until needed.  Don't forget them in you coat pocket, ask me how I know!

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2018, 10:02 AM »
Well you guys shouldn't be having problems with the eyes freezing together...........don't you just keep one eye for the next time out and then just use fresh ones as the day goes on......lol.....don't we wish it was that easy.

I just use a pill bottle......at my age it seems I have more pill bottles laying around then perch eyes.

At the end of March when the season is done, I freeze my eyes in the pill bottle filled with water so they don't dry out waiting until the next Dec.  I could see oil working also.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.