The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: 7” mora or 7”laser on clam plate  (Read 5195 times)

Offline Rone620

• IceShanty Rookie
7” mora or 7”laser on clam plate
« on: Jan 09, 2018, 07:54 AM »
Hey guys read thru a ton of posts but still didn’t see a good answer.

I am running a gen 1 clam plate and gen 1 fuel 750lbs torque with a 6inch mora since 2014. On my 5.0 amp battery I can punch 60 + holes in 8” ice no problem. Looking to go up in size, should I get a 7” mora or laser ?? Heard about issues with catching on the lasers. What would you guys recommend ?

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 7” mora or 7”laser on clam plate
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2018, 08:24 AM »
Since you got the drill already I would buy these at link below and customize them cause aluminum is soft..  the threaded holes in this blade adaptor plate  already will tare out once you use these first couple times . So what I suggest is put on flat side of blade adaptor plate down and curved side faceing up.. then redrIll holes bigger for a m8 bolt or similar.. I used Allen head grade 8 screws but I made a pocket on curved side so the bolt head will sit below the blade on the adaptor..  all you need is a box of drill bits one for the m8 bolt hole  and one for the head of the bolt so it sits in a pocket below the blade on the curved side and a couple nylock nuts for the m8 bolts ..  but just my suggestion.. I used Allen head screws cause a reg he bolt you can't get a socket on  and the hole will be to big if you try wrecking the adaptor plate..

Let me know if you would like pictures of mine?? I got the 7 inch blade adaptor on my mora hand auger with a off set handle and the 6 inch I got one for it to.. and ya I suggest you get a 7 inch mora auger.. have run it on my rigid drill with 700 inch pounds and it shreds ice like mad..

6 inch adaptor

https://m.ebay.com/itm/6-INCH-STRIKEMASTER-MORA-TO-LAZER-BLADE-ICE-AUGER-ADAPTER-CONVERSION-KIT/131116710577?hash=item1e872a3ab1:g:xcAAAOxypNtSlljQ

7 inch adaptor

https://m.ebay.com/itm/7-INCH-STRIKEMASTER-MORA-TO-LAZER-BLADE-ICE-AUGER-ADAPTER-CONVERSION-KIT/131116713483?epid=921169576&hash=item1e872a460b:g:xcAAAOxypNtSlljQ

Offline Rone620

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2018, 08:36 AM »
Since you got the drill already I would buy these at link below and customize them cause aluminum is soft..  the threaded holes in this blade adaptor plate  already will tare out once you use these first couple times . So what I suggest is put on flat side of blade adaptor plate down and curved side faceing up.. then redrIll holes bigger
for a m8 bolt or similar.. I used Allen head grade 8 screws but I made a pocket on
curved side so the bolt head will sit below the blade on the adaptor..  all you need is a box of drill bits one for the m8 bolt hole  and one for the head of the bolt so it sits in a pocket below the blade on the curved side and a couple nylock nuts for the m8 bolts ..  but just my suggestion.. I used Allen head screws cause a reg he bolt you can't get a socket on  and the hole will be to big if you try wrecking the adaptor plate..

Let me know if you would like pictures of mine?? I got the 7 inch blade adaptor on my mora hand auger with a off set handle and the 6 inch I got one for it to.. and ya I suggest you get a 7 inch mora auger.. have run it on my rigid drill with 700 inch pounds and it shreds ice like mad..

6 inch adaptor

https://m.ebay.com/itm/6-INCH-STRIKEMASTER-MORA-TO-LAZER-BLADE-ICE-AUGER-ADAPTER-CONVERSION-KIT/131116710577?hash=item1e872a3ab1:g:xcAAAOxypNtSlljQ

7 inch adaptor

https://m.ebay.com/itm/7-INCH-STRIKEMASTER-MORA-TO-LAZER-BLADE-ICE-AUGER-ADAPTER-CONVERSION-KIT/131116713483?epid=921169576&hash=item1e872a460b:g:xcAAAOxypNtSlljQ

What’s the point of running laser blades on the mora ? Does it cut better or is it just to convert your mora to a laser ?
I would be buying a second auger in 7” keeping my 6” for panfish.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2018, 08:52 AM »
These in photo are ice breaking bars that all the laser, ht,eskimo, etc have in th 7 and 8 inch augers..  now mora does not have these on their 7 and 8 inch augers those bars cause a jam up at bottom of hole..  and can wreck a gear box on a drill .. now if you want a  really fast drilling auger Like nils..  but don't want yo pay what a nils cost in up keep..  then convert a mora auger  to use laser blades.. that simple ..

Picture of ice breaking bars.

A pic of what those bars got cut off of..

Offline Rone620

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2018, 02:29 PM »
Interesting thanks for the info, guess I’ll pick up the mora.

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2018, 04:37 PM »
I have the same setup Rone. Ran the 6" Mora for years, then bought the 7" Mora. The drill turns it fine. I do carry a spare battery when I bring the 7". I have no experience with the Laser.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2018, 06:47 PM »
Interesting thanks for the info, guess I’ll pick up the mora.

That's what I would get cause you can't fix laser to cut better but you can the mora if you have a problem..

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2018, 06:51 PM »
What’s the point of running laser blades on the mora ? Does it cut better or is it just to convert your mora to a laser ?
I would be buying a second auger in 7” keeping my 6” for panfish.

Here....let me help you understand/clear up what chilly is saying for you. Also, I can help with your choice. I have a Gen 2 clam that I ran with a Milwaukee fuel brushless which is 725in/lb drill before I put my 1200in/lb on it.

First things first.

I picked up a 7in Eskimo flat blade. Which is the same has a strikemaster mora (flat blade) on these augers the 7in & 8in use the same core auger/flighting. (New ones anyways) The difference is the blades on them for cutting. The 8in is just 1/2 longer on each blade and will fit onto the 7in auger making it an 8in auger. The holes for mounting the 7in and 8in blades are in the same spot and blades can be interchanged. So the auger size is whatever you decide to put on it for blades either a 7in or 8in.

There is an adaptor kit on eBay that allows for a person to adapt a mora/flat blade auger into a lazer auger. Same has above applies to the blades.

Why chilly likes the "adapted" lazer is because the support bars aren't on it like a normal 7-8in lazer has. The issue a person has with these comes from the aggressive fast cutting. When a lazer is  cutting and breaks through the ice, it sometimes doesn't Clean cut the bottom and leaves a lip......the blade goes through then the support bars hit the lip and you get a big jerk.....if it's really bad sometimes the auger gets hung up stuck and a little jimmying gets it loose. With the adapted lazer you don't have that issue.

The drill setup you have can run an 8in auger. What you will notice is the lazer is aggressive, cuts fast and will work the drill pretty good from its agressive fast cutting. Personally, on your drill setup I would run a 7in or 8in shaver (flat blade) auger. It will work the drill easier and doesn't have any weird issues at break through. Any brand works fine. I just got an Eskimo since it was red to match the drill and was cheaper then the strikemaster mora. Heck I'd just craigslist and get a used one for $20.....

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2018, 07:09 PM »
I had a very old Mora which was a 7 or 8" auger depending on which blade you wanted to put on it. So they have done this for a very long time.
<===Lefty===

Offline Rone620

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2018, 07:47 AM »
Thanks for all the Info guys this was extremely helpful !!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2018, 03:04 PM »

Offline wefishandflop

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing with two toddlers.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2018, 06:34 AM »

these change the angle AND require new blades....Lazer style...right?
We'll take any nibbles we get.  Jigging mostly.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2018, 09:46 AM »
They are aluminum adaptor blocks. It changes the flat blade mora to a curved blade lazer.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2018, 02:36 PM »
these change the angle AND require new blades....Lazer style...right?

Yes

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2018, 02:39 PM »
Why not just buy a lazer auger? If the question has not been asked before?

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 20, 2018, 02:50 PM »
year 2 of a ridgid brushless drill with 4.0 batteries and on a clam plate with a 7" lazer hand auger.  can be run without the clam plate but takes a little touch at break thru and have kids who like to punch their own holes so hence the clam plate comes into play as they can have more control.  sharp blades are paramount.  go with the 7" lazer hand auger and u will be pleased.

Offline Rone620

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 20, 2018, 02:54 PM »

Read the above posts they explain that it could grab or bind up.

I’ve been running my 7” mora now for about a week it’s great no issues. Could just about drill as many hole as I did with the 6”. Actually cut faster too (new blades)

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2018, 03:12 PM »
Just have to be smart enough to slightly pull up when going thru!  Also I kids are running the plates with drill, only takes a second to cut thru the boot !!  Kids love to play with them

Offline wefishandflop

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing with two toddlers.
« Reply #18 on: Jan 21, 2018, 08:27 PM »

I’ve been running my 7” mora now for about a week it’s great no issues. Could just about drill as many hole as I did with the 6”. Actually cut faster too (new blades)
I'm running a 7 inch Mora and finally got it on a drill today and was amazed how well it cuts. No reason for me to look for something else by my experience so far.
We'll take any nibbles we get.  Jigging mostly.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 21, 2018, 08:57 PM »

Moras They do cut very nice!!  if you ever feel you need a up grade to the laser blades??  you can do that..  lol's cuts a little faster with laser blades but is it worth it ?? Maybe for a hand auger..  but for a drill powered model it might not??

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 22, 2018, 12:55 AM »
i

You can.

However these adaptor blocks make a lazer without the breaker bars(suport bars) which can catch at breakthrough.

Not only that it is cheaper if a guy has a mora hand auger already and converts it vs buying a new Lazer auger.

Last, it gives an owner flexibility. You basically have a setup that can be one of 4 different sized augers. It can be either a 7 or 8in sized Lazer or Mora. Makes it a pretty flexible auger when on a trip if something happens and you need to find blades at a bait shop.

Also....people like to fix/create/repurpose stuff......

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 22, 2018, 05:33 AM »
What is the drawback in cutting the ice bars off a new 7 or 8" auger? (besides the fact that you have to do a little work).  Are they important for the correct operation of the auger or do they provide needed strength??

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 22, 2018, 07:37 AM »
Obviously they are there for a reason or it’s just added weight and cost. I see one of the older 6” that didn’t have it on and got caught on bottom of hole and the drill, destroyed the bottom auger, almost broke the weld, completely ruined auger. The guy thought it just caught and tried to keep going, said had a heck of a time getting auger out of hole. Wished I would have took a picture of it !!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 22, 2018, 09:53 AM »
What is the drawback in cutting the ice bars off a new 7 or 8" auger? (besides the fact that you have to do a little work).  Are they important for the correct operation of the auger or do they provide needed strength??

You can...that's what chilly did.

They are there for strength. Without the bars it would be like a nils cutting head, which if dropped could bend the cutting angle and then your auger won't cut. On a nils cutting head, if bent they can fix it and sharpen the head. On a lazer or mora auger if the cutting head mount gets bent out of wack...your pretty sol on fixing it.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 22, 2018, 04:33 PM »

They support the head and can let the cutting head flex a little breaking the blades in two.. I think it helped break the blade in half on my ht brand auger..that I did it to..  but it's not like those ht blades would not have broken any how.. there known to snap a corner off every once in a while now..  if you threw laser blades on it may not have?? Not sure my self if you do it to laser if it will break the blades ??  .. I did not do it to my laser auger.. as you can see why I just went and bought a mora boren with the off set handle like a nils has.. wich was a lot easier..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.