Author Topic: How to Vastly Improve Your Black Betty Freefall or Ghost  (Read 7997 times)

Offline fishyholes

• IceShanty Rookie
While we are waiting for the temps to drop I was going through my gear and reviewing from last year. I had bought 2 new reels that I tested, the No.8 CGI and the BB FF. I tuned the CGI by flushing all the bearings and removing all the grease from the main gear then adding a thin coat of TSI-321 to everything. I didn't have time go through the FF before the season, so I fished the FF stock for the whole season. And although the BB FF is a superior reel, FF trigger, better built, tighter tolerances and looks much better, I found myself always fishing the CGI. This was mainly because the startup and drop speed were much slower on the FF.

This season I did some very unscientific tests on the free spool times of the tuned CGI and the untuned FF. My CGI was getting about 40 seconds of free spool and the FF 14 seconds on average. Both mag brakes were completely backed off and the lines were taped to the spool. So I took the time to go through and flush the FF and see if i could improve the speed and free spool times.

Here is what I did to the FF:

I removed the mag. So some of you are thinking, oh no the reel will over run and it will be annoying. Yes the reel will need to be managed more closely but the benefits will out weigh the effort to watch your reel a bit more. I spun the reel without the mag and it was getting 22 seconds free spool on average. I then mounted the reel on a rod with a #4 Fiska, I let the line drop and jig hit the ground but didn't stop the reel. What happened was the line instead of birds nesting like a bait caster, it formed a bow in between the front of the reel and the first guide. It wasn't a big tangle, just a simple lift of the rod removed the slack in the line. (3lb Berkely Floro Ice).

Removal of the mag is not permanent and you can easily reinstall if you want to in the future. Here is how to do it:

-remove spool
-you will see a screw among the magnets on the mag mount, unscrew it carefully.
-to remove the mag mount place a screwdriver or something attracted to magnets, across the mount.
-lift straight up carefully as there are two springs below
-push out the mag adjustment knob from the screw side, out
-plug up the hole from the outside with a piece of rubber, eva foam, etc. cut to size

Flush Spool Bearings
-remove spool
-remove hexigonal lock washer thing carefully (this is on the spool)
-pull brass sleeve straight up and out
-remove first bearing, bearing sleeve then second bearing
-removed the shields
-flush in denatured alcohol (DNA) 3-4 times (every flush change DNA)
-added one small drop of TSI-321, spin and let dry for 30 mins
-flush bearings again with DNA for a very quick rinse (just a little dip to remove any excess 321)
-let dry and reinstall (shields off)

After this I was getting 38-40 second of free spool, which is over twice as fast as stock. I am sure now with these improvement the sluggishness of the reel will be solved. If you are really into tuning, add some new hybrid ceramic bearings into the reel 5x9x3 orange seals. I didn't do this but I bet the start up speed would be even better.

I have never seen or taken apart a BB Ghost but I figure the instructions would be similar to the FF. Flush the bearings and remove the mags if possible.

Post if this tune improves your reel and or productivity fishing.

Have fun and hope for a long and cold winter :icefish:

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: How to Vastly Improve Your Black Betty Freefall or Ghost
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2017, 12:55 AM »
 ;) Good tip. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2017, 01:31 AM »
Or just buy a good spinning reel, put line on it and use it🤗

Offline fishyholes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2017, 07:55 AM »
Or just buy a good spinning reel, put line on it and use it🤗

For spinners I have a tuning regiment also of cleaning the main gear and using more cold friendly grease or thin oil. This will make your reel spin more effortlessly. Even the top reels that you can buy won't have cold specific lubes in the bearings and moving parts. You can fish any reel right out of the box, but personally if I can improve the performance 2x or more in some cases with little effort, why not?

Inline reels are much better than spinning reels for ice. ie no line twist, hand pulling of line, spinning jig underwater, loops coming off the spool, etc. The most annoying thing for me was line jumping off the spool on a spinner, then I would have to hand pull the line of the tip. In 25' of water this was getting bothersome for every little YP or BG coming up

Try this. Spin the handle of your reel at room temperature, then put the reel in the freezer for a few hours. Take it out, spin the handle, turn the knob(s), open the bail and pull some line out. If you flush your reel and the cheap grease that most come with it and replace with TSI-321, or a premium grease like Cals Universal Light Grease or Shimano Permalube, you will feel a big improvement over the performance.  .02

Offline Oscoda Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Mountains are Blue
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2017, 08:17 AM »
Good stuff fishyholes! Thank you for sharing.

-Kyle
"Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers."    -Herbert Hoover

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2017, 11:00 AM »
Good advice on lubing reels BUT not buying the inline hype.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2017, 12:05 PM »
Yah best way to improve an in-line is to throw it down a hole!

Just my humble opinion- ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Oscoda Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Mountains are Blue
« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2017, 12:07 PM »
Bunch of in-line haters haha. To each his own.

-Kyle
"Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers."    -Herbert Hoover

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2017, 12:18 PM »

I use both with no complaints

Offline cardinalsfan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2017, 02:38 PM »
Thanks! I need to try this!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor