Author Topic: Thoughts on 1 man flip shanty's  (Read 2759 times)

Offline theangling1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thoughts on 1 man flip shanty's
« on: Nov 19, 2017, 05:25 PM »
I'm in the market for a 1 man flip shelter this winter and wondering what your guys thoughts are on which one to get. I really like looks of the Eskimo Wide 1 inferno but at 70 lbs seems a bit heavy to load and unload by myself. The Fraill Recruit looks good but I can't find any stores here in NE Indiana that carry's them or won't charge an arm and a leg to ship it. Frabill recon or sentinel look very narrow along with the clam 1 man units. I'm on foot so weight is an issue pulling as well.
Would like to stay around the $300-$350 mark.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
Re: Thoughts on 1 man flip shanty's
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2017, 05:29 PM »
Check out the Shappell FX100 @ 37 lbs.
http://www.shappell.com/iceshelters/fxseriesflips.html
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2017, 05:56 PM »
I've seen the fx100 around $210 on sale and at 37# seems good. I am looking exactly for the same thing but want to make sure I have enough room some look really narrow.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2017, 05:59 PM »
free shipping at sportsmans guide. enter code SH2615. $206 if you are a club member. got mine late this winter and got it together only to see all the ice melt. can't wait to hit the ice with it this year.
Pappa Sly, plenty of room. sled is 44" long. flipped over, you got about the same distance in front of the sled. the tent widens in front. seat slides forward and back. I plan on adding a folding stadium seat for back support

Offline OneMoreFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2017, 06:01 PM »
I ordered the wide 1 inferno this year from sportsman’s guide. It is on the heavier side, but it’s built very well and their customer service is top notch.

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2017, 06:16 PM »
A bunch of good deals on sportsman's guide for sure .

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline garyk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2017, 06:22 PM »
I was in the same spot you are in several years ago and bought myself a clam 1 man.  It worked but was a bit small for me so I bought a clam Nanook insulated.  I love it.  It is light, easy to load/pull and just big enough to host a visitor at times.  The rest of the time I have space to heat a lunch on a small single burner or turn the buddy on without thoughts of melting the house down.

Offline theangling1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2017, 06:48 PM »
Agree the eskimo's are well built, but I fish alone quite a bit and weight is an issue, as I get older my back has started bothering me, if not for the weight, that would've been my first choice. I hadn't given shapell much thought as I never cared or their cabins. After looking at the FX100, I decided to give it a try.... thanks for everyone's input.... especially OldSailor and rdhammah.... picked one up from sportsman guide, free shipping and under $225 including tax. I'm not crazy about the bench seat but will try and find a light weight, comfortable seat with a backrest I can mount in it.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2017, 07:58 PM »
You can always mount a stadium seat on it as many others have done!! Good luck and let us know how it works out for you when you get it on the ice!!  :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2017, 09:12 PM »
Anyone look at the eskimo crossover ev 1. Combo of flip over and pop up with lots more room and 52 lbs.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline Jim F

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2017, 11:10 PM »
I had been lusting over the Wide 1 Inferno for over a month.
Found a local that had 2. Met up with him this week and, they are not anywhere near 70 pounds.
I  think that is the shipping weight. I bet they didnt weigh 50 pounds.
Mine will be here next week  ;D
Get bit!

Offline Scupbaron

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 20, 2017, 04:15 AM »
the bench seat in fx100 is actually fine comfort wise, it slides too.  4 gallon square buckets fit perfect underneath it.  i.m 5'10 155lbs and its plenty roomy for me ...another thing great about it is the windbreak feature, i use it more like that then totally flipped.  i'd put runners on it.  then get a cheapo rubber mat for bottom of tub.  only ads a couple lbs, i easily put it in back of tacoma pickup myself

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #14 on: Nov 20, 2017, 06:13 AM »
Gotta go with Old Sailor on this one ( Buckeye fan notwithstanding  ;) )...actually had the Rover 1.0 at one time which is identical to the FX 100. It is lighter and cheaper than most others and I had no issues with it. Good luck.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #15 on: Nov 20, 2017, 06:31 AM »
Anyone look at the eskimo crossover ev 1. Combo of flip over and pop up with lots more room and 52 lbs.

I like the looks of those .

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 20, 2017, 06:54 AM »
I have 2 fx 100's. 1 for me, and 1 for the wife. I like them.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 20, 2017, 07:20 AM »
Check Sportsman's Guide for a black friday sales, extra 10% off and free S&H on my FX100 in 2015.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 20, 2017, 09:40 AM »
Is the general consensus that the Shapell fx100 is better than the frabill recon? Pretty similar price point so I've been debating between those two...
Da Pack!

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 20, 2017, 10:08 AM »
Shapell FX100 is 600 denier matl and more than  10 inches wider than the Recon which is 300 denier

Offline PaddyO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 20, 2017, 10:33 AM »
I have the Clam Kenai Pro Thermal Stealth and love it.  I use rectangular Kitty Litter buckets - normal round 5 gallon pails don't fit correctly with the seat slide rails.   Warm, dark as hell inside, and comfortable.
Clam Kenia Pro Thermo Stealth
Otter XT X-Cabin Thermo
Clam Kenia Pro
Marcum Showdown
Marcum VS485C
Labatt Blue Light

Offline graybeard1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 20, 2017, 12:16 PM »
FX 100 has a flared front for a bit more room, and fabric is twice as heavy as the Frabill.  I added a cheap plastic boat seat to mine for back comfort. I'm 6'1 and 250 and have spent 6-8 hours in it many days. In my opinion, for a good well built, basic shack, Shappels are way underrated.

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
« Reply #22 on: Nov 20, 2017, 12:28 PM »
Its a bit outta your price range but for me the Clam Nanook can't be beat. Small for a 2 man, but awesome as a 1 man. I just have one seat in mine. Its super light and way roomy. Even has a back door for those days when you need to pile snow around the skirt and don't want to trample your gear when a flag goes up. The new Nanooks look awesome with the sliding seat and adjustable backrest.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Nov 20, 2017, 01:12 PM »
Don't forget the Clam Blazer and the Eskimo Quickflip. I was debating between the three and went with the Shappell FX100. Just purchased it today. It was a tough decision.

$206 for the shanty
$27 for the cover
Free shipping through a buyers club promotion.

$234.97 after shipping insurance.
At Sportsmans Guide with the Buyers Club discount.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 20, 2017, 06:54 PM »
I have the Clam Kenai Pro Thermal Stealth and love it.  I use rectangular Kitty Litter buckets - normal round 5 gallon pails don't fit correctly with the seat slide rails.   Warm, dark as hell inside, and comfortable.

I also moved to this model last year after having a shapell bay runner for a couple years. Nice and comfy, very dark if you like sight fishing and the black exterior and insulated material means it can keep you nice and warm. Keep your eyes out for sales if you are interested, I got mine for $150 off around this time last year from BPS.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.