Author Topic: Ice Boot Recommendations  (Read 3993 times)

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ice Boot Recommendations
« on: Nov 19, 2017, 03:39 PM »
Hey guys, I know this subject has been driven into the ground, but was hoping there may be some new info this year. I am looking for a new Ice Boot. Right now, I have Sorel Caribous that work fine down to about °0 F. I have Lacrosse Snowdonias for when it's colder, but are absolutely worthless for walking (even from my hub to the first tipup). I was thinking of the Kenetrek Northern pac boot for double-duty ice fishing/deer stand boot. Or should I get something like the Snow King or Cabelas Trans-Alaskan? Please do not mention the old Mickey boots. I wore my dad's for years. Yes, they are very warm, but are uncomfortable. Plus, I am looking for something newer than 1950'stechnology.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ice Boot Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2017, 03:54 PM »
For an economical boot that's comfortable and warm, I use the Sportsmans Guide "Guide Gear" 2400 gram Monolithic boots.  100 bucks. And work as well on the ice or the deer stand. Havent had them long enough to vouch for durability, but so far so good.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/guide-gear-mens-monolithic-waterproof-insulated-hunting-boots-2400-gram?a=687051
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2017, 04:02 PM »
I went with the Cabela’s trans-Alaskans last year. Although they look like Herman Munsters’ boots, they didn’t feel too bulky when hiking around. These WILL keep your feet warm.

Offline Fish Idaho

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2017, 04:02 PM »
I have worn the Trans-Alaska boots for the last 6 seasons and love them.  The keep your feet warm, are waterproof, and are easy to put on. 
They have a pocket in the toe for a hand warmer, but I have never needed one.  I usually fish outside of the ice shelter here in SE Idaho, so your weather conditions should be similar.  These boots usually go on sale for 150 between now and the end of the year. 

Offline Bearseatfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2017, 04:18 PM »
Ive had these boots in -15 and standing in 5 inches of slush for half a day feet stayed warm. You can get the black friday normaly for $70.

In winter we become gods and walk on water....

Offline Kov619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2017, 04:27 PM »
Mickey Mouse Bunny boots

Bad ice is bad for your health....walk with care....

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2017, 05:59 PM »
I love the trans Alaskan from Cabela's !!

Size 14  big boots but not heavy

Offline Maddog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2017, 07:02 PM »
I bought the Trans Alaskan boots last year and it was time first time my feet never got cold even in sub zero weather. Great boot

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2017, 07:05 PM »
I also like my Trans Alaska boots.  GasBlaster how did you get 14s?  They max out at 13 these days.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2017, 07:11 PM »
I also like my Trans Alaska boots.  GasBlaster how did you get 14s?  They max out at 13 these days.

Maybe they could be 13 . It's been quite a few years now . I know I got there largest size. I take size 13-14 depending on make of boot .

Offline crappie55409

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2017, 07:41 PM »
happy with my baffin titans.  Waterproof, super lightweight and warm as can be.  Only issue with them is they are big but i can fit them under my striker bibs with a little effort.  I used to wear sorels and these are way better.  Sorels make a nice boot but these are in another league

Offline icefish1960

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2017, 08:01 PM »
I have Cabelas Inferno 2000's  they keep my feet warm and dry, they are very easy to put on and take off. Just unlace them and step right of them, no need to use one foot to take the other boot off.

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2017, 08:52 PM »
Just bought my son some Baffin Boots...made in Canada..not china . Rated 100 below...strictly an ice fishing boot though.

Offline Nevsky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 20, 2017, 04:55 AM »
I like Mickey Mouse boots.  I have never had cold feet with them.  A major advantage is that they are waterproof.  No worries when the top of the ice is slushy.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #14 on: Nov 20, 2017, 05:46 AM »
Cabelas predator extreme boots have been good for me. Rarely do I sit in a hut and fishing temp week below 0 feet always warm and dry. That said when these boots need replacing I want to try the cabelas Saskatchewan boots

Offline ByteN2it

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 20, 2017, 12:34 PM »
I went with Neos Stablicer overshoes a couple of seasons back & I’ve been very happy with them. I wear a size 15 and the 3XL’s fit great for me. They allow me to wear comfortable shoes while driving & just slip on the overshoes at the lake & go- no need for having to put traction chains or stuff on either, although I have added some extra studs just because. Then just kick ‘em off and go.
https://www.overshoesneos.com
" The Green Hornet's caught more fish than you've lied about Gustafson ! "

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #16 on: Nov 20, 2017, 12:46 PM »
Still can’t fathom why anyone still wants to wear Mickeys...

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 20, 2017, 01:01 PM »
Baffin Titans and Kathoolas
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 20, 2017, 01:20 PM »
Lacrosse AeroHeads, 100% waterproof and super comfy. Great Bowhunting boot also.

Offline BeenShanty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Nov 20, 2017, 02:35 PM »
Baffin Apex

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 20, 2017, 02:53 PM »
I started off with cabelas inferno 2000 but my feet got cold in those. Went with baffin impacts and couldn't be happier. Going on my 3rd year.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #21 on: Nov 20, 2017, 08:08 PM »
Baffin impacts water proof?
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline happyheber

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tie on a Maniac the fish'll go crazy!!!
« Reply #22 on: Nov 20, 2017, 09:01 PM »
Mickey Mouse Bunny boots

THE BEST 65 BUCKS YOULL EVER SPEND  ;D

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 20, 2017, 11:49 PM »
Thanks for all of the replies. I may try out the Trans Alaskans. They would have to be a strictly ice fishing boot though, a little bulky for deer hunting.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 20, 2017, 11:54 PM »
Thanks for all of the replies. I may try out the Trans Alaskans. They would have to be a strictly ice fishing boot though, a little bulky for deer hunting.

Agreed.  They are not hiking boots.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline DrewFlu33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 21, 2017, 02:36 PM »
So whatever you decide on, before you spend big bucks on it, do yourself a favor and check out 6pm.com.  It's basically Zappos's clearance site.  I picked up a pair of -40 rated Baffins that retailed for $200+ (can't remember the model...but they're incredible) last year for $70 with free shipping.

Offline BeenShanty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Nov 21, 2017, 04:20 PM »
lol it makes you wonder what the rating represents these days.  Are feet suppose to remain comfortable in the boots at those temps and for how long or are the boots liable to spontaneously shatter like glass if you push the limits of those temps?

A girl walked in behind me today at Qdoba trumping all these boots with her rabbit fur muklucks.  I had to comment.

"Oh you're ready huh.."
Her response: "Ready for what?"
"You know.."
Her: "What?!"
"Ice fishin.."
Her: "Hell yeah!"

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #27 on: Nov 21, 2017, 08:16 PM »
Another Vote for Baffins

Offline gsp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Nov 21, 2017, 10:51 PM »
I've got Baffin Titans and bought the wife some Baffin impacts, both awesome warm boots.  Titans 100 percent waterproof as well, heavy boot but I don't care keeps my feet warm.

Offline gorf37

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Nov 22, 2017, 01:16 AM »
I rock Dunlops https://www.dunlopboots.com/en-ca/products/dunlop-purofort-thermo-plus--full-safety-e662843 to -25C.
Bama Socks https://www.marks.com/en/ganka-bama-sock-1392.html are remarkable at pulling sweat away from the foot on long days, or days with lots of walking.

Below -25C I'm in bunny boots.  Their effectiveness messes with my mind.  I can't wear them at -20C - my feet get uncomfortably hot!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.