Author Topic: Hole diameter  (Read 1278 times)

Offline minnangler

• IceShanty Rookie
Hole diameter
« on: Jan 25, 2019, 07:49 PM »
When fishing shallow water, say 10 foot or less. Do you think the hole diameter affects your fishing or catch rates.   So a five inch hole allows a lot less light then a eight inch hole.   Has any one noticed a coorliation?

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Hole diameter
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2019, 08:00 PM »
ABSOLUTELY! That's why I still have a 5" auger, for shallow water crappie and bluegill (sub 5'). Too much light through the ice and the fish won't go below you, especially if its sunny and the ice is covered in snow.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2019, 09:10 PM »
I've never had any trouble with this.  I use an 8" auger and I believe that I've actually caught more fish due to the larger diameter hole.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2019, 09:24 PM »
For the lakes I fish it isn't worth it. The water is very stained so light penetration isn't as important. Plus an 8" hole gets awful small when trying to turn the fish of a lifetime vertical at the bottom of the hole. It's just easier with bigger holes. More room for the flasher. More room to turn fish. They take longer to refreeze. There is a time and place for 5" and 6" holes. Most of the time it is sitting in my barn while the 8" is getting used.

Offline jlbrownie_1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2019, 02:06 AM »
I do 6 inch holes(cordless drill) until the ice is over 6+ inches thick then I step up to 8 inch holes(power auger).  I also have a 10 inch auger I haven't used in 15+ years or more.

Offline Icemole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2019, 07:07 AM »
 I use hole covers on my tip-ups - my buddy doesn't. Some days I win other days he wins. It may be due to more "flash" from the shiner or him "jigging" it while he skims the holes - IDK.  Of course on the days he's winning I can remove my hole covers and play catch up..... something he can't do if I'm winning  ;D

I don't cover the hole while jigging panfish - however depending on where we are our shadows may fall on the holes. Haven't really tried a shadow vs. sunlight test yet.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2019, 05:42 PM »
I like an 8 or 10" hole.
The larger the diameter,  the better the underwater view.
I'm in a flip over, so it's almost like a TV screen to the lake bottom.
I'm always surprised by the number of larger fish that hang back away from the bait that can be enticed in if you know they are there.

Good Luck All :tipup:

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2019, 06:35 PM »
Makes no difference in my opinion !

Offline bryan_ej

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2019, 12:48 PM »
Never noticed a difference

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2019, 04:18 PM »
Another hot topic every year "hole size"!

As far as I am concerned,  go 10 or go home.  If they still made 12 inchers I would have one of those.
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2019, 05:25 PM »
Well, I prefer a 6 most of the times unless maybe an 8 for pike tipups.

Only issue I have with an 8 is falling in one. I fell into one today that was invisible because wind covered it.  Soaked my leg and foot. The worst part is I couldn't get out at first. My boot bent on the way down to go through, so pulling it out was 100 times harder. Started to get really worried after about a minute....dunno what would have happened if I couldn't have gotten it out if I was by myself.....and if my phone was left in the shanty..ugh. 

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2019, 05:36 PM »
If my three year old is with me the biggest I’ll use is a 6. If she isn’t then I’ll use whichever auger I happen to grab. Pulled plenty of nice sized pike through 6 and 7 inch holes. As far as I’m concerned, unless I’m targeting salmon, the perfect hole size is 7”. I wish more companies would make that size.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2019, 05:42 PM »
X2 on using the minimum that works. We have a kids fishing day every year, and when we drilled big holes with a gas auger, kids find 'em. I also feel that I get some fish that come off just at the hole because they can not turn around. Scoop em out by hand. I even have time to take my gloves off so I don't get them wet.
 :tipup:

Offline grababrewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2019, 06:02 PM »
Use a chunk of cardboard or something for a hole cover if you're worried about the "flashlight effect"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.