Author Topic: M-18 power source  (Read 9281 times)

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
M-18 power source
« on: Nov 18, 2017, 08:49 PM »
Maybe I'm just slow but this thing is the ANSWER!  I'm running a m-18/clam/ mora so this PS will allow me to run my LX-5 on the same light-weight Lithium batt in my M-18. Light and Sweet!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
Re: M-18 power source
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2017, 09:03 PM »
Ok I probably am super slow. How'd you rig the LX-5 to run off the PS? I have the M-18 and it came with two extra lithiums so I'm curious about my LX-3...
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2017, 09:09 PM »
 just cut up a usb cord.  or you can order them premade off amazon or ebay.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2017, 09:10 PM »
Haven't done it yet but the USB will output 2.1A more than enough to run a Flasher. Just gotta rig a connector to the USB cable and all is well. I haven't searched yet for a ready made cable but am sure they exist!  Can O Corn! ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2017, 09:17 PM »
I'm slower than all you birds. I've got an M-18 like Bigassbassman also. Sounds like you're on to something. What is this PS setup of which you speak? Take a picture when you get her all wired up.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2017, 09:26 PM »
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2017, 09:33 PM »
 found this on the Mlwke site:
The output is a regulated 12 volts. Milwaukee support says the 12 volt output is rated for one amp (12 watts). The connector is a 5.5 x 2.1 mm barrel connector with the center connection positive.

I use this to power 12 volt LED lights and O2Cool fans that otherwise use eight D b

Only need 12v for the Marcum-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2017, 09:33 PM »
I'd like to see how someone rigs this up as well. I just got a M18 kit, and wouldn't mind lightening up my kit I bring...

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2017, 09:34 PM »
This is 12 volts.

Works great!

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2017, 08:06 AM »
(Image removed from quote.) This is 12 volts.
(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)Works great!
prospector-- it looks like you've stolen a march on everyone. I can't really tell what plugs into what and how. Here's an opportunity to be a Hero and describe the process for mouth breathers like me to follow.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2017, 08:59 AM »
Mouth breather here as well, so please pardon my ignorance lol  ???

Do you just use the male connector and connect your positive/negative, and you're set?  I found these on eBay:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dc-Barrel-Power-Plug-Pigtail-Cable-2-1Mm-X-5-5Mm-Male-Female-Jack-Connector-For/253251083761?epid=5006250570&hash=item3af6f0ddf1:g:iLwAAOSwPIhaBI4e

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2017, 09:14 AM »
The way I read the info on the M18 power source is that it gives you a USB port for charging phones and other usb devices.  I believe those are all 5 volt DC devices (the spec for usb is 5v.  How are you getting 12 for the flasher?  Also, limitations on the usb port for current (AMPs).

Would like to do this as well, since I use those batteries on my ice drill set up.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2017, 09:20 AM »
I got the PS last year for LED's i have wrapped around the inside of a small can.  Drop the glow jigs in it for a quick zap.  I was tempted to try this but was a little worried about damaging the flasher or the snuffing out that battery.  It looks like guys have used it without issues.  For my 5 and 6 I think splicing this...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/192081930778

to this...
https://shop.marcumtech.com/product/power-cord-for-lx-series-flashers/

would be a simple connection.  Slayer's post got me to thinking again.   Ive been intrigued by lithium for a couple of seasons but I probably won't lay out $ for the new shuttles. If this works I'm in it for less than $5.  Everything else I already have. 

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 19, 2017, 10:43 AM »
Although the power source does have a USB, it’s main purpose is to power the heated jacket that Milwaukee has. The jacket takes 12 V. It is a simple thing to go from that 12 V port to your flasher with connectors that have already been spoken of  on this thread. Enjoy!
On a nine amp hour battery, my LX seven will run 14 hours at 50% back light.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 19, 2017, 12:57 PM »
That's remarkable run time...thanks for posting prospector!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #15 on: Nov 19, 2017, 04:40 PM »
Although the power source does have a USB, it’s main purpose is to power the heated jacket that Milwaukee has. The jacket takes 12 V. It is a simple thing to go from that 12 V port to your flasher with connectors that have already been spoken of  on this thread. Enjoy!
On a nine amp hour battery, my LX seven will run 14 hours at 50% back light.
Cool - I did not see that in the description.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 19, 2017, 05:39 PM »
Dewalt 20 volt users can do the same thing.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 19, 2017, 09:28 PM »
I have been using the Milwaukee power source for several years on the ice. It s a fantastic addition to the arsenal. I tested it out on a Lowrance Mark5x that i had mounted on a blue box and it ran the 5x with ice transducer for over 20 hours if i remember correctly (I posted my results on this site)... It's actually built for the heated coat and has an onboard USB port as well as a power switch. It converts the 18v from the M-18 battery pack down to 12v dc for the power port and USB port. I have purchased some round DC male connectors and soldered up my own leads to power devices, and this works quite well. A word of caution... The USB port is capable of charging a phone just fine, however, a tablet draws too much amperage and the PS will get very hot and eventually burn up. USB port loads need to be VERY low draw loads. Also if you leave the switch on it will eventually drain the battery even with no load attached. Since your drawing power from a 18v source there is actually a gain in amp hours as well, so a 4ah 18v battery is actually closer to 6ah when converted to 12v!!! I keep a connector that has a set of alligator clips on one end and can power just about anything 12v DC.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 19, 2017, 10:18 PM »
I saw these last year and wondered if they had any other use besides phone charging since i take a spare battery with my drill auger. Guess i should have actually looked further. Definitely gonna be adding one to the arsenal and making up a few harnesses so it can power lights or a charge cup and act as a spare for the flasher.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 19, 2017, 10:25 PM »
I hope this thread continues to spool.  Great information b/c so many are already rigged out with 90% of the gear.  Nice job!

Offline Fisherman-Andy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 19, 2017, 11:14 PM »
I will share what I been using the last couple years.  Can run off a usb power bank or m18 battery.  See photo below it’s pretty self explanatory:

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 20, 2017, 12:04 AM »
The power source is so compact and perfect, I hotwired one to my 18v Ridgid radio... Does everything...

Radio, 5v USB out (phone charger, runs fan too), 12V out (runs shanty lights), on board LEDs, MP3 player.. It could run the vex too, but I like to set up and hole hop..

I see guys in convenience stores with bigger coffee mugs all the time lol..

<°)))>{

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 20, 2017, 10:11 AM »
Prospector,
Don't want to hijack the thread, but would be interested in seeing closeups of your Glide Lite.  I like to see what others have done...

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 20, 2017, 03:31 PM »
Prospector,
Don't want to hijack the thread, but would be interested in seeing closeups of your Glide Lite.  I like to see what others have done...
I will start another glide Lite thread. It will be under ice shack tips. Working on it now.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 20, 2017, 04:52 PM »

Here is another use for the Power Source.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 20, 2017, 04:59 PM »
Okay, who has the designs for the little sled pulling tractor that runs on an M-18 power source. It only needs to pull a Smitty with maybe 75 pounds over just a little snow.. Walking pace. Thank you.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 20, 2017, 05:08 PM »
Here is another use for the Power Source.

???

Is that a jab at what I posted?

<°)))>{

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Nov 20, 2017, 05:25 PM »
???

<°)))>{
Just a little hotwire job I learned in prison. ;D

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Nov 20, 2017, 05:28 PM »
Okay, who has the designs for the little sled pulling tractor that runs on an M-18 power source. It only needs to pull a Smitty with maybe 75 pounds over just a little snow.. Walking pace. Thank you.
Dude on Youtube built one with a gas auger that should work. I have been wanting to build one, but have bee too busy at work.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Nov 20, 2017, 05:30 PM »
Just a little hotwire job I learned in prison.

I don't think you understand yo....

I don't have any Milwaukee batteries...

<°)))>{

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.