Author Topic: Nils ice auger question  (Read 1604 times)

Offline nathancollins

• IceShanty Rookie
Nils ice auger question
« on: Aug 15, 2022, 07:40 AM »
Hello, I was looking to get a hand ice auger without spending a lot of money. I was looking on facebook marketplace and found one that was orange and looked a lot like a Nils. I did some research and found out that it is an old Fin Bore 2. It has an offset handle and the same style cutting head as a Nils. It is old and the cutting head on it is very dull Id assume, but it is only ten dollars. I wondered if a replacement Nils cutting head would fit into this auger. If so, It would make a very good and affordable auger for me.

Does anyone know the diameter of the Nils cutting head where it fits into the auger, or could someone who owns a Nils measure this for me?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Nils ice auger question
« Reply #1 on: Aug 15, 2022, 08:44 AM »
This dosent answer your question but there are much better options out there in my opinon .

This is an 8 inch with curved blades..similar to a StrikeMaster Laze blades (which are easier to find and have on hand for easy replacement)..with an offset handle ..there is one in the Amazon Warehose for $35 ..

https://www.amazon.com/Thunderbay-8-Folding-Hand-Auger/dp/B07B3DW39S/ref=sr_1_198?crid=KBPYUK0E6IKL&keywords=ice+fishing+auger&qid=1660570040&rnid=2941120011&s=sporting-goods&sprefix=ice+fishing+auger%2Caps%2C239&sr=1-198
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Aug 15, 2022, 09:53 AM »
 I can get you the sizes as I have all 3 if your set on that
I agree with HW that’s a cheaper out for you , a 6” nils head costs what that complete auger would

OD on the nils is 7/8” for 4.5-8” heads

Offline nathancollins

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Aug 15, 2022, 03:45 PM »
Thanks for the info diehard!
Also, thanks for the measurement filetandrelease!

Someone sent me a private message with a link to a different discussion similar to this one and it had some very good info. It said there is someone named Frank DeLuca who sharpens nils cutting heads and could probably sharpen the head on a fin bore 2, like this one.

Thanks

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Aug 15, 2022, 05:13 PM »
 Depends on the damage , frank has sharpened my nils and no complaints , 20 for  sharpening & postage both ways
 Frank De Luca ,
 5382 Jenttoft Rd
 Saginaw , MN , 55779
 1-218-729-7941

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Aug 15, 2022, 07:17 PM »
nathancollins ...what size auger is the Fin Bor that you found on FB Market place ..4",  6" or 8" ?? Most folk have n extra head at the ready for emergencies ..it could be cost prohibitive having an extra head at the ready . I am not poo pooing the Nils ..but it can be a  little prissy in the wrong hands or with multiple operators. Another option is a cordless drill combo ..especially the Milwaukee Gen 3..models 2804 and the 2803 can be had cheap ...especialy now as the new Milwuakee generation 4 have hit the market ..a cordless drill paired with a the numerous steal hand augers and/or composite auger options makes for many great and inexpensive choices . The ability to drill more holes will make you move ..and moving more efficent ...moving more will produce more fish . Lots of choices out there .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
« Reply #6 on: Aug 15, 2022, 08:01 PM »
Fin bore 3 with curved blades is my choice for hand auger, I have both a 6 and an 8. I had a Nils 8 as well, cut real nuce, but blades on cutting  way too sensitive to debris, got fed up having to send away the head for sharpening each time. I keep my find bore blades and spares sharp, and have replacement n hand in my tackle box if need be.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Aug 15, 2022, 10:28 PM »
The Nil's doesn't like debris in the ice or bumps and dings but they work great.  Frank D is the man. Ive sent him my 6 and 8 nils a few times and they sing when he sends them back.  Dumb question but isn't Fin Bore a Canada thing?  Seems the guys up north swear by them.  Never seen them here in CO.

Offline caldwellite

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Aug 15, 2022, 10:47 PM »
I have a fin bore 2 Frank sharpened for me last year. It drills as good as my Lazers.

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #9 on: Aug 16, 2022, 05:02 AM »
Notice everyone mentions sharpening?

Because a used auger is a gamble for cutting holes in the ice.

I have carried several used augers on the ice only to find out they wouldn't cut.

If you buy used, be ready to spend more money on blades and sharpening.

If you really want to save money, go with a friend and use his auger. ;D
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Aug 16, 2022, 05:24 AM »
 Used anything is always a gamble ,
 I have  a 4.5 and a 6” nils cutting heads from the 80s still in use , over the years I have had them sharpened a few times but must admit I only average 4 days a week for 3 months
 Started with a Spud to a cup then mora to nils thank god for progress lol
 There’s many choices out there as no 1 product suits everyone

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
« Reply #11 on: Aug 16, 2022, 05:50 AM »
The Nil's doesn't like debris in the ice or bumps and dings but they work great.  Frank D is the man. Ive sent him my 6 and 8 nils a few times and they sing when he sends them back.  Dumb question but isn't Fin Bore a Canada thing?  Seems the guys up north swear by them.  Never seen them here in CO.

Could be a Canada thing, I got both of mine here in Quebec. Only issue I ever had in over a dozen years was a cracked shaver blade, and I still managed to drill holes with only one of the blades as I had no spares on hand that day. Compare to Nils head where I hit some frozen weeds or a few grains of sand in ice, thing starts dancing around instead of cutting.

That being said, when Nils is sharp, it's an effortless cut, I hand drilled 24 inches with an 8 incher with less effort than an old gas Jiffy. These days, I use my Ion G2 once ice gets thicker than 12-14 inches :)

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Aug 16, 2022, 10:00 PM »
No doubt Phil.  It's nice to have a few options in the arsenal.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Aug 19, 2022, 04:25 PM »
If you are willing to risk the 10 bucks, they can be sharpened. Frank can do it for you for another $20 (?), or you can try it yourself. I have sharpened both a 6 inch and 4.5 inch Nils head with a Worksharp small belt sander, but I am sure you could use wet/dry sand paper on a stick and make an edge. It is not all that hard, it just takes time and a little bit of knowledge of what you are after. The only way I have ever had problems is if you bevel the side that goes down agains the ice. If you one side sharpen, you can get good results with almost any technique on any ice auger blade. The only kind I have not tried is an old spoon type blade, and that is just because I have not seen one in 30 years.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Aug 19, 2022, 07:40 PM »

I still have my spoon auger  , it’s hanging up where it belongs lol ,

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #15 on: Aug 20, 2022, 04:19 PM »
I got out the old spoon auger, definitely not the auger for hole hopping! I quit at one hole!

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.