Author Topic: Keeping Bait Alive  (Read 3766 times)

Offline Mentiply

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Keeping Bait Alive
« on: Jan 30, 2005, 05:51 PM »
Just got back from some good fishing this weekend and I have a question. How do you keep your bait fish alive from one week to the next? I currently have a filter running in the cooler they are stored in but can you feed these guys? Thanks for the help.

Offline bigdaddyc9

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • cooler than a mentholated snowball!!!
Re: Keeping Bait Alive
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2005, 06:15 PM »
I have them on air and in a cold place.And I do feed them goldfish flakes.I have had bait live for months-Peace BigD
Please Mother Nature,not this year too???

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2005, 06:47 PM »
Goldfish flakes are awesome food for them, I've got a bunch of minnows in a 10 gallon aquarium that have been alive for almost a month living of it. If you have a filter, not a bubbler, you can feed them. A bubbler won't filter out all that little minnow crap though... ::)
Goldfish flakes make awesome bait when trapping minnows.... Shhhhh....  :whistle:

Offline d_balm24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2005, 08:47 AM »
I have had my minnows for three weeks in a 6 gallon bucket. All I do is change the water every so often. No need to feed them yet they have been lovin it in the bucket.Keep the water as cold as you can

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2005, 08:56 AM »
do you use an aerator in the bucket or just leave the top open ???

Offline d_balm24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2005, 09:22 AM »
My aerator is still out on silver lake somewhere. Don't even leave the top open. Just put them in my basement where it is cool and they do just fine. Just remember to change the water and make sure the water is as cool as you can get it. Have had my minnows since me and you(arch)where talking about where to get them at.

Offline icetime

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2005, 04:05 PM »
I HAVE A STREAM NEAR MY HOUSE, I JUST PUT THEM IN THERE , WORKS GREAT FOR ME!

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2005, 07:04 PM »
Just got back from some good fishing this weekend and I have a question. How do you keep your bait fish alive from one week to the next? I currently have a filter running in the cooler they are stored in but can you feed these guys? Thanks for the help.
Don't need to feed them for short term storage. Heck I've had bait in my basement since Oct. and just started giving them a little shake of flakes. I keep my bait in 5 gal buckets or 48qt coolers and change the water every few days. Don't overcrowd. I only have up to 1 1/2 doz in the buckets at a time. I use bubblers and keep a window screen on top so they don't comit suicide.

Offline Mentiply

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2005, 07:21 PM »
Thanks for the advise

Offline iceman_4432

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2005, 02:15 PM »
The key is to keep them cold.  When the water is cold you dont need to aerate as you would in warmer water.

Ever notice too that when you buy bait, if the bait is kept outside or in a non-heated room it lasts.  Once you buy bait from a shop where it is heated .. the mortality rate soars as soon as you get out on the ice.  COLD is better  :tipup:

Offline NickP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2005, 01:12 PM »
I keep up to 3 dozen in a 15 gallon tank- lots of aeration- and 20-30 percent water changes daily will get you safe with 3-5dozen per 15 gallons

Offline pikie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2005, 08:34 AM »
Anyone have any special tips for catching, then keeping smelt alive for bait?  I've got a aquarium with a filter and bubbler, but haven't had much luck keeping them alive.

Offline TogueHunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 12, 2005, 11:44 AM »
I keep my shiners in a 5gal bucket in the garage with an aquarium pump and a small air stone.
As for feeding them, I use goldfish flakes.   
  I also have a small garden pond, and I usually throw a dozen in there as they eat all the mosquito larvae that are in the water.  When I drain the pond for the winter I scoop them out and throw them in a 20 gal aquarium until they get sacrificed for bait.

As far as smelt goes... The are much harder to keep alive, so I usually buy them the night before or the same day I'm going fishing.
Are you SURE it's safe to walk on? Looks questionable to me!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.