Author Topic: Another electric auger thread  (Read 1195 times)

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
Another electric auger thread
« on: Sep 21, 2018, 09:07 PM »
With all the electric auger threads I’m just curious of one question. What are the reasons those choose an ion, strike master, etc over a drill setup? I am a drill guy but want to know the reasons why some choose to spend twice as much for the ion etc. I am not trying to be one sided, just curious what the advantages are to justify the cost.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Another electric auger thread
« Reply #1 on: Sep 22, 2018, 08:23 AM »
An excellent question. The only answer I could give is that it's a function of brutal ignorance and the inability to distinguish between what a guy needs and what he wishes he needed. I speak from experience and a series of acquisitions which seemed sound at the time but turned out to be unwise. I believe I could hold a two day auction on my driveway of both hand augers that I'm too old to use and a trove of power augers that either were too heavy or too temperamental to depend on. My current rig is an
 M18 Fuel/Clam plate/8" Lazermag. The weight is significantly less than any of my power augers and a drilling speed second only my IceGator which is for sale btw. The drill won't spin any 10" flight unit that I've seen but unless you really, really need that big a hole, go with the drill. As a real bonus, I get the use of a four season first class drill. Try that with an Ion.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 22, 2018, 08:54 AM »
Some people feel that a purpose built auger would be more reliable than a drill. But with the right drill, there really isn’t a reason to worry.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 22, 2018, 09:35 AM »
I have had my Ion for 4 years and love it. I had always had a gas 3hp jiffy prior to it. Since I usually bring out a drill to screw in tent anchors I was thinking about switching to the drill set up. I tried 3 different ones last year from 3 friends all with an 8" auger. Each one had a lot of torque and I feel like it took a lot of effort to hold it as it just wanted to spin. I don't remember whet drills were used but 2 of them had clam plates. I cant really see a down side to the ION as I have got over 100 holes thru 12" of ice over a weekend without a re-charge and leaving the battery on the unit on the ice. If I could get the right drill set up that worked thru thru ice as well as the Ion I do think I would switch so maybe I just didn't get to try the right one. I defiantly will not fish with less than an 8" auger.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Sep 22, 2018, 09:43 AM »
I have had my Ion for 4 years and love it. I had always had a gas 3hp jiffy prior to it. Since I usually bring out a drill to screw in tent anchors I was thinking about switching to the drill set up. I tried 3 different ones last year from 3 friends all with an 8" auger. Each one had a lot of torque and I feel like it took a lot of effort to hold it as it just wanted to spin. I don't remember whet drills were used but 2 of them had clam plates. I cant really see a down side to the ION as I have got over 100 holes thru 12" of ice over a weekend without a re-charge and leaving the battery on the unit on the ice. If I could get the right drill set up that worked thru thru ice as well as the Ion I do think I would switch so maybe I just didn't get to try the right one. I defiantly will not fish with less than an 8" auger.
Good info and thanks for sharing. I do not doubt one bit that the ion type augers work well. The main question I'm curious on is the price justification. Maybe some people dont want to mess with putting together a clam plate? I don't know, curious to see more responses.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Sep 22, 2018, 09:51 AM »
The way I see it is like anything else. Cars/Trucks included. If you have the money and you like what you see you end up buying it. I have always been the guy that doesn't care what a car or truck looks like if it runs good I buy it and don't care what others think about it. Sure I could have bought a new car or truck but I don't see the reason to spend that much on one when an old beater works for me. I had an Eskimo Z51 when they first came out but sold it last year to get a drill and Nero. Everyone is different and goes what way they want. Shouldn't matter to anyone but them.
<===Lefty===

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 22, 2018, 10:03 AM »
Best thing about the Clam plate system is it's always going to be upgradable.. Can't run to home Depot to get a new or better motor for an Ion.

When Ion eventually makes advancements, their older styles will be left obsolete. Look at the Ice Gator story..

An Ion isn't going to help you one bit when it comes to building anything, including a Smitty Sled..

The Clam plate system is the only auger that has the ability to become better/faster/lighter, even years after you bought it..

Electric motors are electric moters, whether in a circular saw, or an Ion auger. Ion doesn't have a special motor built for an ice auger, it just has a motor that happens to fit the specs needed...

<°)))>{

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 22, 2018, 10:32 AM »
I know a lot of guys who have gone to some version of a drill setup but have never heard of anyone that wants to go back to their gas, propane or stand alone electric units. Those all have their place and are fine products but they're dinosaur technologies like my precious IceGator, the DeLorean of electric augers. M18 Fuel are probably the top of the line drills though many guys are liking their Rigid drill setups. This year I may ditch the Clam plate and just go direct drive to a 7" Nero like Lefty's setup. Butt ugly but light and dependable and at a sweet price point.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 22, 2018, 10:37 AM »
IceGator, the DeLorean of electric augers.

Great comparison lol..

Both were wicked awesome in their short time..

<^)))>{

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Sep 22, 2018, 10:54 AM »
Great comparison lol..

Both were wicked awesome in their short time..

<^)))>{

Exactly! I chuckled when I read that.

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Sep 22, 2018, 11:31 AM »
With all the electric auger threads I’m just curious of one question. What are the reasons those choose an ion, strike master, etc over a drill setup? I am a drill guy but want to know the reasons why some choose to spend twice as much for the ion etc. I am not trying to be one sided, just curious what the advantages are to justify the cost.

Do the math. Milwaukee #2804-22 Drill kit (Drill w/2X 5amp batteries, w/charger) $254.00 (Tools Plus). Clam plate for said drill (2018 price) $79.00,
8" K-drill $249.00. TOTAL $582. I'm not sure but a adapter connecting the Clam plate output to the K-drill might be needed.
That's the high end unit. Money can be saved buying a Mora $80 with the extension, or Lazer $120 with the extension.
Ion and Strikemaster electrics are in that price range.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #11 on: Sep 22, 2018, 12:08 PM »
Do the math. Milwaukee #2804-22 Drill kit (Drill w/2X 5amp batteries, w/charger) $254.00 (Tools Plus). Clam plate for said drill (2018 price) $79.00,
8" K-drill $249.00. TOTAL $582. I'm not sure but a adapter connecting the Clam plate output to the K-drill might be needed.
That's the high end unit. Money can be saved buying a Mora $80 with the extension, or Lazer $120 with the extension.
Ion and Strikemaster electrics are in that price range.

I think your on the “high” side.

If a guy has existing Milwaukee charger and batteries. I figure I need a charger, batteries and drill for other things. Or a guy goes with the brand they already have most of us have the basic drill batteries and chargers already. so a bare tool is really all that is needed.

1200in Milwaukee $108 (Amazon)
Clam plate $60 (cabelas with $20 coupon)
Auger extension $15
Used mora auger of craigslist. $30 (after new blades put on)

$213 for the setup that can turn a 10in mora.

For an all new setup

$250 for drill, charger, and two 5ah Milwaukee setup
Clam plate $60 (cabelas with $20coupon)
Auger extension $15
New flat blade shaver $40

All new drill setup $365

Also keep in mind just how much a second battery cost with an ion, Jiffy, trophy strike, or strikemaster.

I’m sure there are deals out on them....but they look to basicly cost in the range of $200+ it looks like. Where drill setups have a lot better price point on spare batteries.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #12 on: Sep 22, 2018, 12:28 PM »

I think there are a few things to keep in mind.

1st a lot of people aren’t die hard ice fisherman like our group. They don’t follow the gear and stuff like we do. So a lot of people don’t know about drill setups. And they see the electric options at box stores.

2nd I don’t know if a lot of people are convinced the drills can do what they do. When I built mine a few years ago, I researched a lot and was hesitant that it would work has well as it does. I tried an underpowered drill at first and was like what a joke. Then I got the Milwaukee 725in/lb drill wow what a difference. Kept my Jiffy model 30 for 3yrs has a backup before I sold it. I sold it after I put on the 1200in/lb Milwaukee and drilled a season on 3ft plus ice, after that season I knew I didn’t need the gas auger.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Sep 22, 2018, 01:12 PM »
So it looks like the set-up is close to the same price as my Ion, $399. I just want to try a smooth drill set-up. The ones I used felt like I was going to wrench my shoulder and trying to hold it from spinning I was tired after 5 holes. My Ion is super smooth and the weight of the auger does all the work. I am really trying to convince myself tward the drill set-up but it needs to be as easy and smooth as the Ion.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Sep 22, 2018, 01:33 PM »
$350 in gift cards and great reviews got me to buy an ion and I don't regret it one bit.Yes a drill has more uses ,but I don't need all the guns -traps - decoys or 80% of the fishing gear I own either.I'm a bow hunter as well,in a blind as I type this,if you think  $500 auger is out of your price range check out a new bow! Getting closer to 2 K in the carbon high end rigs!

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Sep 22, 2018, 03:24 PM »
Most people start off with a hand auger. if they already have that, getting a nice drill isn’t that much of a commitment since it can have year round use around the house. The clam plate isn’t a requirement, but greatly increases ergonomics so it makes it easier/safer to use. On top of all that, it’s a weight and space saver. Either way people go, there’s no engine maintenance or gas to deal with!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #16 on: Sep 22, 2018, 06:37 PM »
So it looks like the set-up is close to the same price as my Ion, $399. I just want to try a smooth drill set-up. The ones I used felt like I was going to wrench my shoulder and trying to hold it from spinning I was tired after 5 holes. My Ion is super smooth and the weight of the auger does all the work. I am really trying to convince myself tward the drill set-up but it needs to be as easy and smooth as the Ion.
.          Easily solved: clam plate!!!

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Sep 22, 2018, 08:30 PM »
 I got my ION X at just under 50% off due to someone I know working at a certain store, but if it hadnt been for that and after seeing the K-Drill in action with a decent drill, I would go for a K-Drill in a heartbeat just because of the price and ability to use a drill your round

That being said, I have no complaints about my ION X. It works great and my 6" laser fits on the extension so I can drill 6" or 8" holes depending on what I am fishing for

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #18 on: Sep 22, 2018, 09:07 PM »
I got my ION X at just under 50% off due to someone I know working at a certain store, but if it hadnt been for that and after seeing the K-Drill in action with a decent drill, I would go for a K-Drill in a heartbeat just because of the price and ability to use a drill your round

That being said, I have no complaints about my ION X. It works great and my 6" laser fits on the extension so I can drill 6" or 8" holes depending on what I am fishing for

Hey big storm. Is the Ion Auger big shaft the Sam has the hand augers?

There are a few guy looking for the old 10in mora hand augers, and we were thinking that the Ion 10in auger might be what we are looking for........also is the Ion auger (just the auger) about like a hand auger for weight and length?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.