The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Sleeper Cabin Rentals  (Read 1765 times)

Offline SEIAice

• IceShanty Rookie
Sleeper Cabin Rentals
« on: Sep 17, 2018, 09:00 AM »
My brother is turning 30 in January and a few of us are looking to rent a sleeper cabin for 4-6 people in MN.  We live in IA so would like to keep it under a 5 hour drive which would be at most a hour north of Minneapolis.  Does anyone have any suggestions on places to go and where to rent from?  This is our first time so any and all suggestions are welcome as well as things to avoid.  Looking to go in January or February. 

Thank you for the help

Offline Nordern

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Sleeper Cabin Rentals
« Reply #1 on: Sep 19, 2018, 12:15 PM »
I would recommend Appeldoorns Resort about 100 miles North of the cities on Mille Lacs.  Great perch bite last February.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 19, 2018, 06:56 PM »
My brother is turning 30 in January and a few of us are looking to rent a sleeper cabin for 4-6 people in MN.  We live in IA so would like to keep it under a 5 hour drive which would be at most a hour north of Minneapolis.  Does anyone have any suggestions on places to go and where to rent from?  This is our first time so any and all suggestions are welcome as well as things to avoid.  Looking to go in January or February. 

Thank you for the help

With mile lacs, I would check the regs on it before I went there. Not sure if walleye is catch and release or closed yet. Mile Lacs has nice roads and experiances with sleeper shacks. Whatever you do DO NOT GO TO FISHERMANS WARF at Mile Lacs. They put a couple shacks in a Rod and power them with one generator. The accommodations are great, but fishing sucks because they don't move the shacks much.

What you might want to do is check out the Waubay/Bitter South Dakota area for sleep shacks. Might be a little closer and usually pretty decent fishing for Jumbo perch and walleyes.

Otherwise, Upper Red Lake, Winnibigosh, Leech all have some great sleeper shack ice road type of experiances. However the drive is a lot farther.

I've made a yearly Ice Fishing Trip to Upper Red now for around 14 years. Never been skunked, and usually everyone catches their limit. Some years we've caught 100walleyes a day......got so sick of catching them we quit fish. The drive kinda sucks but it tends to be worth it.

Offline Doug SD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Sep 19, 2018, 08:28 PM »
With mile lacs, I would check the regs on it before I went there. Not sure if walleye is catch and release or closed yet. Mile Lacs has nice roads and experiances with sleeper shacks. Whatever you do DO NOT GO TO FISHERMANS WARF at Mile Lacs. They put a couple shacks in a Rod and power them with one generator. The accommodations are great, but fishing sucks because they don't move the shacks much.

What you might want to do is check out the Waubay/Bitter South Dakota area for sleep shacks. Might be a little closer and usually pretty decent fishing for Jumbo perch and walleyes.

Otherwise, Upper Red Lake, Winnibigosh, Leech all have some great sleeper shack ice road type of experiances. However the drive is a lot farther.

I've made a yearly Ice Fishing Trip to Upper Red now for around 14 years. Never been skunked, and usually everyone catches their limit. Some years we've caught 100walleyes a day......got so sick of catching them we quit fish. The drive kinda sucks but it tends to be worth it.

We used to rent sleepers at mille lacs.  The last time we fished there we didn't see a walleye the whole trip.  Since then we have rented a sleeper up at upper red the last 5-6 years.  We are not able to go until at least mid January so we don't hit the normal better fishing times and have not been skunked either.  Have our share of slow days but the wife and I go through portavilla so we have satellite tv that is included with the house.  We always catch some fish and just camp out for a few days.  I have been looking at different sleeper outfits in me we also.  It would be half the drive for me.  I have been seriously considering shanes guide service.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 19, 2018, 09:51 PM »
We used to rent sleepers at mille lacs.  The last time we fished there we didn't see a walleye the whole trip.  Since then we have rented a sleeper up at upper red the last 5-6 years.  We are not able to go until at least mid January so we don't hit the normal better fishing times and have not been skunked either.  Have our share of slow days but the wife and I go through portavilla so we have satellite tv that is included with the house.  We always catch some fish and just camp out for a few days.  I have been looking at different sleeper outfits in me we also.  It would be half the drive for me.  I have been seriously considering shanes guide service.

For the best bite on Upper Red, early ice is key. Usually about the 19th of Dec trucks and wheel houses are out. If ice is clear of snow and the moon is full watch out.

Offline SEIAice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Sep 21, 2018, 08:03 AM »
Thanks everyone for your help

Offline PikePetersen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Sep 21, 2018, 08:50 AM »
We've gone through Bear Paw on Upper Red the past 5 years. They move their houses regularly and will work to keep you on the fish.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 21, 2018, 06:31 PM »
We've gone through Bear Paw on Upper Red the past 5 years. They move their houses regularly and will work to keep you on the fish.

👍 I don't think upper red really has anybody that bad to rent a sleeper from. To much competition for anyone to do a bad job.

WestWinds, rogers, or JR's Access is where we usually go out of. Westwinds and Rogers seem to be about the nicest for facilities if a guy needs to use them. JR's seems to be a bunch of guys running around without the structure of the other places, but ten to get things done.

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 08, 2018, 09:08 AM »
Red Door on the North side of Mille Lacs is well known. Nitti's hunters point on the west side is well known also.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.