Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: lost lake big creek  (Read 442 times)

Offline cowboytrevor21

• IceShanty Rookie
lost lake big creek
« on: Jan 30, 2013, 02:24 PM »
Was out on lost lake yesterday 6-8" of ice and a whole lot of spring holes every where it was pretty bad with spring holes. Where I was at there was atleast a spring hole every 10-20' if you didnt notice im making a big deal of spring holes because I want ppl to be careful out there. I didnt know what they were the first of the season and recollect walking up to one and fishing it thinking it was someones 12" auger hole. But we learn by doing and once someone told me about it I knew. But the one I was fishing did not bubble at me and I was only standing on it for maybe a minute. But that being said plz be careful and take s omeone with you on new waters

Offline Zugunruhe

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: lost lake big creek
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2013, 02:58 PM »
I think we are seeing a lot more evidence of springs this year on Big Creek and Lost Lake due to the low water levels.  Where there would typically be more water volume to disperse the spring water and the springs typically in deeper locations, the low water has now put them nearer the surface.  I'll venture a guess that is contributing to the open spots over by the Ensign Shelter as well.

Your caution is well placed, I've seen someone go through a spring every year I've fished Lost Lake, even in a normal year!  That's six years running so very much a reason for concern.

Be safe out there guys.

BTW, my pond not far north of Big Creek looks like crap right now, ice is very dark and mushy looking.  Snow won't even stick to it, melts and becomes part of the mush  :(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.