Author Topic: tipups  (Read 14679 times)

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
Re: tipups
« Reply #30 on: Mar 02, 2007, 03:00 AM »
OK, OK, calm down Bean....I was just being a smart@$$...Thought I'd let you know that I just ordered three of their Slammer tip-ups with rods and a few other accessories. Thought I'd take advantage of their discount offer to IS members before the Mar. 15th deadline...Been wanting some of them anyway and I'm glad to see they support IS as well...WK ;D
Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

Offline Greenz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Mar 02, 2007, 08:38 PM »
Jack Traps made in ME ;D ;D
Fishing, Flyfishing and Bowhunting!!
Not here for a long time just a good time!!

Offline AT Grimaldi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Why does my 13 yr old always out fish me?
« Reply #32 on: Jan 02, 2019, 09:07 PM »
Jack Traps made in ME ;D ;D

All the way each and every tip up for my 9 year old and I
Vintage Frabill Ice Shuttle with modifications
K-Drill with M18 Milwaukee Drill
Jack Traps rule the world of hardwater!
Marcum LX-7LI Lithium Combo Sonar System
ATG Custom Smelt Jigging Boards
ATG Custom Jigs
Arctic Armor Suit
Mr. Buddy
Shappell 3000
.....and no time.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #33 on: Jan 19, 2019, 02:12 PM »
Gonna try tip ups for Lakers for the first time. Got the basics down but a little confused on something. Watched a video where they said (no illustration) to use an egg sinker below the hook/bait to lessen the resistance when the fish takes the bait. How is this possible?  :-\
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Pheasanttail

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 20, 2019, 10:34 PM »
The egg sinker sits on the bottom of the lake. When the fish grabs the bait and pulls line, the sinker stays in the same spot and the line simply slides through the sinker. That is until you set the hook. I don’t fish this way but lots of others do.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #35 on: Jan 21, 2019, 03:56 AM »
The egg sinker sits on the bottom of the lake. When the fish grabs the bait and pulls line, the sinker stays in the same spot and the line simply slides through the sinker. That is until you set the hook. I don’t fish this way but lots of others do.

Ok, call me slow but if the the sinker is on the bottom, below the bait, what prevents the line from being pulled through the sinker completely? I mean, something has to keep it from coming off the line even when your lowering the line down the hole. I guess I need a visual.  ;D

Offline Pheasanttail

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 21, 2019, 07:24 AM »
The line runs through the middle of the egg sinker. It can’t come off. It is the same type of rig bait fishermen use in open water. The sinker slides freely up and down the line so the fish doesn’t feel it. I’ll see if I can find a photo of the set up.

Offline Pheasanttail

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 21, 2019, 07:30 AM »

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #38 on: Jan 21, 2019, 02:56 PM »
Here is a link to a photo that shows the rig.

https://newbayfisher.wordpress.com/2013/05/25/the-slip-sinker-rig-introducing-a-classic/

Ahhh...now it makes sense. However, in it's non-submerged state, the sinker is above the hook, which is where I was confused. This is actually how I, and probably most, set up their tip up rigs. I just usually pinned mine. Thanks PT...thought I was going nuts.  :blink: :roflmao:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.