The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: CANCELLED - March 23 meeting re new Georgetown Lake kokanee restrictions  (Read 2539 times)

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
A couple days ago I posted a notice that FWP was going to make an informational presentation at the March 23 meeting of the Anaconda Sportsman group in Anaconda about the new restrictions on kokanee fishing in Georgetown Lake.  However, FWP staff is unable to make that meeting.  They are trying to reschedule the presentation for a later meeting of the Anaconda Sportsman.  I'll post a notice when that presentation is rescheduled, so interested anglers can appear and provide information and opinions about the new restrictions.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
So people can’t be as greedy as they want so we need to have a meeting about it….got it.

oldschoolben

I don't understand why people can't just keep whatever they catch, especially the big ones, I mean there's so many fish in the water and even the little ones will be giants some day,

Offline MT Tag Filler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When the tags are filled you can bet Im on the ice
Biology at its finest. Keep whatever you catch, especially the big ones, there’s so many in the waters as is.

oldschoolben

Anyone who knows me knows I'm not serious

Offline Kokehead.

• IceShanty Rookie
So you bottom three think there is an issue with the current status quo at Georgetown and the kokannee numbers?

oldschoolben

I don't care one day at or the other ,I don't fish for salmon or trout,  in general I catch and release most of what I catch, but I fish for warm water species

Offline Kokehead.

• IceShanty Rookie
Thats great but you are commenting on a post specific to salmon fishing regs.

Offline Kokehead.

• IceShanty Rookie
Also thanks for keeping us updated on this pmmpete.

oldschoolben

I was making a point sarcastically, Init sure why your so worried about me posting, you can have all the kokes and trout you want, two if the easiest fish to get to bite,

Offline Kokehead.

• IceShanty Rookie
I thought maybe somebody had an educated opinion on the matter rather than a passive aggressive post that doesn’t even relate if you dont fish them. And do you really want to get into a dick swinging contest online about which species is harder to catch? Ps i fish all kinds and catching kokanee is usually harder for people than warm water species that bite more aggressively. Have a good day!

oldschoolben

I have fished for them , and I found them easier to catch  than , crappie, bass,walleye

oldschoolben

I have never been skunked fishing for trout or salmon, I have been skunked on the species I listed, I think everyone should fish for what they want , but you got a little assholy first ,I was just making a point sarcastically,yes I think fish needs to be regulated , but from the times I have gone after salmon once I found them I was always amazed how many I see on my flasher,I've seen them in 150 feet of water and pretty much 20 feet below the ice down to the bottom,

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I don't understand why people can't just keep whatever they catch, especially the big ones, I mean there's so many fish in the water and even the little ones will be giants some day,

That mentality has ruined the perch fishing on canyon ferry, Hauser and holter

oldschoolben

That mentality has ruined the perch fishing on canyon ferry, Hauser and holter
I agree ,that's why I tell nobody where I find the crappie

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
This is just my 2 cents on the G Town Salmon. Keep in my mind these are estimations. In 3 trips i caught roughly 200  salmon. 80 60 and 40. I beleive i kept 33 25 and 20(new limit). i would say the senior class were very sparse.Maybe 1 out of ten. But the junior class was also sparse, 2 to 3 out of ten.. 6 out of ten were in that 6 to 7 inch range. Last year new anglers flock to the area i have fished for a couple decades, in relative solitude, in reponse to live facebook feeds of an individual catching literally hundreds upon hundfreds a day. I am not here to argue or judge, years ago it was not uncommon for me to keep 200 over a long weekend.. It is what is it. I wonder if the new stress of keeping literally a thousands of more fish in the area i fish is the reason why the senior and junior classes are sparser by percentage that i  recall ever seeing.Or maybe it doesn't? Once again..just my 2 cents. I am not opposed to the limit. Salmon are on a 4 year cycle, give it a try and maybe lift the limit in a year or so. I say give it 2 years. raise the limit to 40 if things go good. Also, i don't mean to scare you Ben but the same facebook fishing star posted a full cooler of crappie a  couple weeks ago. He didn't say the spot tho.

oldschoolben

This is just my 2 cents on the G Town Salmon. Keep in my mind these are estimations. In 3 trips i caught roughly 200  salmon. 80 60 and 40. I beleive i kept 33 25 and 20(new limit). i would say the senior class were very sparse.Maybe 1 out of ten. But the junior class was also sparse, 2 to 3 out of ten.. 6 out of ten were in that 6 to 7 inch range. Last year new anglers flock to the area i have fished for a couple decades, in relative solitude, in reponse to live facebook feeds of an individual catching literally hundreds upon hundfreds a day. I am not here to argue or judge, years ago it was not uncommon for me to keep 200 over a long weekend.. It is what is it. I wonder if the new stress of keeping literally a thousands of more fish in the area i fish is the reason why the senior and junior classes are sparser by percentage that i  recall ever seeing.Or maybe it doesn't? Once again..just my 2 cents. I am not opposed to the limit. Salmon are on a 4 year cycle, give it a try and maybe lift the limit in a year or so. I say give it 2 years. raise the limit to 40 if things go good. Also, i don't mean to scare you Ben but the same facebook fishing star posted a full cooler of crappie a  couple weeks ago. He didn't say the spot tho.
I would like to see the pics of the crappie

Offline FishingCowboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
for my 2 cents a subject not exposed is the explosion of new fishermen (families) on the lake over the last 3 years. What once was a location for few because of the drive time and available equipment has become a circus. In the last 3-4 years the pandemic has done some changes to the local areas. More population, more social media exposure and light weight gear (pop ups and electric augers). If the newcomers had to sit on a bucket in 40 mph wind after hand drilling 2 feet of ice, they wouldn't do it again. Additionally, with the aid of gas, propane or electric guys can pothole all over the place, just because they weren't catching fish in a particular location. For those who hand drilled their holes, how many times did you move? Things do change and thing don't last. I have had my glory days of 200+ over a 3 day stay, but none of the fish went to waste (doesn't matter they are going to die at the end of the spawning season.... they would have had a chance to spawn). How many of the fish caught in today's world are actually consumed? They sit in the freezer until they get freezer burnt and tossed out would be my guess. Should there be a limit? It doesn't hurt my feelings if there was a limit. 20 salmon a day isn't bad... Who says you can't keep on catching throughout the day, just let them go....

Rounding them up for the corral.....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.