New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: cleaning and keeping fish  (Read 4916 times)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: cleaning and keeping fish
« Reply #60 on: Dec 07, 2022, 06:34 AM »
Read my earlier post about the measures I take to leave no trace of fish waste. Since I have done this dozens of times now and nothing was ever said, the motel does not even know that I did this

so your  saying as long as you  don't get caught it's ok  to do  something you know the owner  would not allow?????  i just want to understand  what your  saying here......

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #61 on: Dec 07, 2022, 06:38 AM »
Lol. Same here. But either I've gotten better at cleaning up or she just got used to it.  ;D

Sidenote: When I did scale fish ( mostly pannies) I would put a few inches of water in the sink and scale them underwater. Kept them from flying all over the place.

ever notice  no matter how  good it looks  they find a scale  or  you  clean  everything looks great the sink  drys and scales appear  lol
i  clean out in the shed now or  outside 

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #62 on: Dec 07, 2022, 06:49 AM »
ever notice  no matter how  good it looks  they find a scale  or  you  clean  everything looks great the sink  drys and scales appear  lol
i  clean out in the shed now or  outside

Yup. Mines a pretty good egg about it though. Now...if she finds a piece of meat, blood, guts, etc...different story.  ;)
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline fishon814

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Dec 07, 2022, 07:06 AM »
Lol. Same here. But either I've gotten better at cleaning up or she just got used to it.  ;D

Sidenote: When I did scale fish ( mostly pannies) I would put a few inches of water in the sink and scale them underwater. Kept them from flying all over the place.

I find jumbo perch armor is the main culprit

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #64 on: Dec 07, 2022, 07:34 AM »

:thumbsup:

Offline hangemhigh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Dec 07, 2022, 08:15 AM »

Yep, those things really go flying - I even find them stuck to my skin after a couple days of showers ..... although that may have more to do with my shower technique too.  LOL

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #66 on: Dec 07, 2022, 08:22 AM »
 Fillet my perch and eyes in the kitchen no issues and no scaling , I’m a pretty good house keeper 😊

Offline nykonsdream

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Dec 07, 2022, 10:13 AM »
I have mastered the art of filleting pike and pike real. Now I get excited when we get them home.
.... AND TO THE FISHING GODS WE SHALL PRAY

Offline Steidyj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Dec 07, 2022, 11:03 AM »
Clean away, as I say, you paid for the room, do it neatly and courteously. If ya get a scale or some blood try to clean it, but the source is better than 99% of the stains in the room. I've cleaned many a flounder and stripped bass in hotel rooms and don't give a second thought. Take the guts bag it and lob it into the dumpster, extra points if it explodes upon impact, gives the animals something to eat while pondering the best way to clean a pike.
When I'm local I clean everything on the kitchen counter cause it's warmer inside than in the yard on the board, if its warm outside do it in the grass or on the board. On the grass it gives the animals something nice to lick, don't let the dogs lick it though. Guts at home get put in the trash and get to ferment for 4-8 weeks till they get thrown away. Creates a nice aroma and makes you contemplate getting trash pickup.

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Dec 07, 2022, 11:58 AM »
If you are gonna scale fish, you can't beat a tumble drumm.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #70 on: Dec 07, 2022, 03:35 PM »
I don't scale anything - too much work - too much mess - Fillet it off and it's gone.  Don't care a whole lot for the skin anyway. As for the motel room,  well I did it once on the Maryland shore with some Drum in the bathtub.   I felt guilty as hell and never did that again.  I guess if I rent a room I don't want to find a mess, so I won't do anything that I don't want to find for myself. As for home, I do it in the yard over a pair of saw horses in the summer. Winter time it is done in the garage with the wood stove working.  I have a seasonal water supply and sink out there that works for me.
     This all works if I don't do it on the ice

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #71 on: Dec 07, 2022, 04:42 PM »
i  ain't cleaning  fish or cutting up deer in a  motel room   i  can't imagine  a  motel owner  giving his blessing  over those shenanigans.....that's  just  wrong to  do something on  some ones property you know they  don't want you to  do ..... now  hang  a  pressure  washer and a  can of gunk will get those  scales off ya 

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #72 on: Dec 07, 2022, 05:01 PM »
 I’ve been places for a couple days , mix snow in a bucket or grain bag , bury in snow bank, will keep for days , then clean at home been doing this for 45+ yrs , I to won’t clean fish in a room ,

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #73 on: Dec 07, 2022, 05:14 PM »
so your  saying as long as you  don't get caught it's ok  to do  something you know the owner  would not allow?????  i just want to understand  what your  saying here......

I don't know if it is allowed or not, and I don't ask. They probably never thought to put it in their rules, as they do with smoking. The reason smoking is prohibited in motels, and they can charge you a stiff cleaning fee if you violate this, is due to the unmistakable smoke smell that is left behind. If my fish cleaning leaves no signs whatsoever that it ever happened, I have not done anything to harm the establishment, and therefore I do not feel like I am doing anything wrong.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #74 on: Dec 07, 2022, 05:19 PM »
A couple of things...

Whether it's a motel, hotel, rental cabin/ cottage, etc. best to ask first if it's ok to clean the fish. Honestly,  I'll bet most would say it's ok.

There are actually a few hotels/motels around the Detroit River/Lake Erie areas in Michigan that allow it. Many have cleaning stations outside, but during inclimate weather, inside cleaning has been done. Never known of any issues.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #75 on: Dec 07, 2022, 05:51 PM »
I don't know if it is allowed or not, and I don't ask. They probably never thought to put it in their rules, as they do with smoking. The reason smoking is prohibited in motels, and they can charge you a stiff cleaning fee if you violate this, is due to the unmistakable smoke smell that is left behind. If my fish cleaning leaves no signs whatsoever that it ever happened, I have not done anything to harm the establishment, and therefore I do not feel like I am doing anything wrong.

i never read  that i  couldn't  milk a cow in my room  or  park my motorcycle inside  during the rain  ....... so i guess its ok huh?

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #76 on: Dec 07, 2022, 06:06 PM »
i never read  that i  couldn't  milk a cow in my room  or  park my motorcycle inside  during the rain  ....... so i guess its ok huh?

Yes, those activities should be OK, but if you are not careful and your cow poops on the carpet, or your motorcycle leaks oil and leaves a big oil stain on the carpet then you may get hit with a room cleaning fee   ;D ::)
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #77 on: Dec 07, 2022, 06:25 PM »
naaa it's  not right   no matter what and i know that....see  when i rent a  room  i feel i have  been intrusted to  act  as a gentleman and  respect  the  mans property and  wishes  ice is  right   you should  be man  enough to ask ......this is  a  moral issue  not  just  how  clean you are .......you  drop a  bucket of  fish guts on a  carpet and that  room  might  not  be  able to be rented  for  days  not to mention  the  cleaning  ...the fees  mean  nothing what if  the  man can't get  someone to clean it????  thats   messing with  a  mans  property  and  peoples  living ..... all over a  fish?  i  ain't going to  do that  throw  em in the cooler with ice  i fished all  day i want a  hot shower  cold  beer  and  the tv on  ;D

Offline Iceman1899

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Dec 07, 2022, 06:38 PM »
I don't scale anything - too much work - too much mess - Fillet it off and it's gone.  Don't care a whole lot for the skin anyway. As for the motel room,  well I did it once on the Maryland shore with some Drum in the bathtub.   I felt guilty as hell and never did that again.  I guess if I rent a room I don't want to find a mess, so I won't do anything that I don't want to find for myself. As for home, I do it in the yard over a pair of saw horses in the summer. Winter time it is done in the garage with the wood stove working.  I have a seasonal water supply and sink out there that works for me.
     This all works if I don't do it on the ice
X2. If it’s warm enough it’s done outside.. if not I do it in the garage on an old countertop next to the wood stove and refrigerator full of beer close by. God I can’t wait for good ice!!!!!!! Sick of reading this beaten horse of a thread lol

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #79 on: Dec 07, 2022, 06:46 PM »
why wait  fish the open water  plenty of  panfish  and  eyes  not to  mention  trout  ;D

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #80 on: Dec 07, 2022, 06:56 PM »
naaa it's  not right   no matter what and i know that....see  when i rent a  room  i feel i have  been intrusted to  act  as a gentleman and  respect  the  mans property and  wishes  ice is  right   you should  be man  enough to ask ......this is  a  moral issue  not  just  how  clean you are .......you  drop a  bucket of  fish guts on a  carpet and that  room  might  not  be  able to be rented  for  days  not to mention  the  cleaning  ...the fees  mean  nothing what if  the  man can't get  someone to clean it????  thats   messing with  a  mans  property  and  peoples  living ..... all over a  fish?  i  ain't going to  do that  throw  em in the cooler with ice  i fished all  day i want a  hot shower  cold  beer  and  the tv on  ;D

Wow, if you feel so strongly about the evil thing that I am doing, maybe you want to call the Super 8 motel and tell them to be on the lookout for me from now on, and let them know I have been destroying their property for the last 10 years and they never noticed it. It is the one in Ticonderoga, NY and the phone number is 518-585-2617. I will be checking here for your update on what they tell you about this situation. It is only because I want the other members reading this to laugh that would I ever consider engaging an individual as mentally challenged as you are.  :'(

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #81 on: Dec 08, 2022, 06:58 AM »
FISH ON !!!!!  first of the year  :roflmao:

no update it appears i  just have more respect for other peoples property then  some.... :)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #82 on: Dec 08, 2022, 07:00 AM »
 this  video  although its a  bit  of adverticing   really got me  wanting to be on the  ise  it also  shows  how  big a  7  inch  blue gill actually is  and how  good of a dinner you can get ...hope ya  enjoy it i did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR75bGl4LyI

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #83 on: Dec 08, 2022, 07:46 AM »
Been a long time since I enjoyed a fish fry on the ice. Dad always put a few small lakers in the pan. Wow those were the days.    May have to put together a small cooking kit.

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #84 on: Dec 08, 2022, 07:47 AM »
Looks like temps are dropping nights for the next week    Let's keep our fingers crossed

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #85 on: Dec 08, 2022, 07:56 AM »
boggy put on a  nice  get together on sandy  pond  we  should   clean and fry up  some  perch  next time  for  everyone to  enjoy  ;D.....

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #86 on: Dec 08, 2022, 08:14 AM »
boggy put on a  nice  get together on sandy  pond  we  should   clean and fry up  some  perch  next time  for  everyone to  enjoy  ;D.....

X2
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #87 on: Dec 08, 2022, 09:08 AM »

X3

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.