Author Topic: Jacket Suggestion?  (Read 6809 times)

Offline mccabedoug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Jacket Suggestion?
« on: Dec 29, 2005, 09:07 PM »
Well, the mice got to my old down parka over the summer and my wife made me throw away my 20 yr old, gasoline stained, ice fishing jacket.  Are there any suggestions for a cost-effective suggestion?  For pants I use a\rmy surplus wool pants over polypro long johns. I am considering some type of bibs as well.

I've scoured the other previously posted threads and there is no real concensus on a jacket.

Thanks.   ???

Offline frankrizzo

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Jacket Suggestion?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2005, 09:09 PM »
I got a carhart artic extreem jacket just for ice fishing....the bibs and jacket work great....

Offline Big W

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2006, 01:03 PM »
I would go with the carhart arctic extreme bibs
Big W

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2006, 09:41 PM »
In the "Great White North", home of the world champion jr. hockey team, we wear Helly Hanson parkas and Helly bibs.  They are the warmest clothing that I have found yet.

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2006, 09:10 AM »
i also recomend the carhartt, breaks the wind and is very warm and rugged :tipup:

Offline Auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicks dig blaze orange!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2006, 09:47 AM »
If you're big shouldered like me, check out the Columbia Gallatin Range wool coat and bibs.  They put the shoulders together in a way that allows me to reach without any pulling whatsoever at the cuffs or waist.  It's the only coat I have that does that.  It's wonderful.  And it's very warm.  It's my best coat by a long shot.
High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement .

Seattle Seven Member #000003

Offline lester

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2006, 06:34 PM »
I wear an old Army fishtail parka with the fur hood.  When you look at it, it doesn't seem like much, and as a stand alone it isn't.  I combine it with layers, depending on conditions, like a vest, 300 weight fleece, wool shirt, etc.  By doing that I've worn it from -10 to 50 degrees and always been comfortable.  When I used to jig for lakers the long end in front past the zipper made an excellent cutting board for cut bait!   It's big, long (so the wind doesn't blow up your back), the hood is awesome when the wind blows, and best of all it didn't cost an arm and a leg.  Somewhere around 35 bucks from sportsman's guide. At the end of the season I take the hod off, button out the liner and throw it (les the hood) in the washing machine, comes out like new.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2006, 06:38 PM »
The Company "Canadian Goose" Makes a sweet down jacket...I have a Columbia Down jacket and ti does the trick..make me look like Im 400lb...but it keeps me warm

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2006, 08:57 AM »
The Company "Canadian Goose" Makes a sweet down jacket...I have a Columbia Down jacket and ti does the trick..make me look like Im 400lb...but it keeps me warm

qustion about the down, doesnt it make you cold and weigh you down when it gets wet ???

Offline gillchaser

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Live to fish and hunt
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2006, 09:45 AM »
Go with the carhart. The price is right for great clothing

Offline J_MAKI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2006, 11:22 AM »
qustion about the down, doesnt it make you cold and weigh you down when it gets wet ???

Down does loose its insulating value when wet, but up here that really isn't an issue because it is seldom warm enough to rain while on the ice except for late season.  Down combined with a goretex shell is my first choice for ice fishing. I usually wear  wool sweater under down jacket with the goretex shell from my Browning parka in inclement weather conditions. Wool is very nice also and it does keep its insulating value even when wet.

Jeremy

Offline Smeltecca

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Never mess with another man's hole.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2006, 01:51 PM »
You can't beat a Wool jacket and bibs on the ice.  Check out the stuff from Woolrich its good stuff and priced right.
  Ice Fishermen Walk on Water!

Offline molsonport

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Sep 24, 2006, 03:42 PM »
wool is much warmer than carhartt but there is quite a price diff.

crowkiller

« Reply #13 on: Sep 24, 2006, 04:50 PM »
wool is much warmer than carhartt but there is quite a price diff.
I'm sure if you asked nicely PIKEGUY can supply you with all the wool you need    ;D

Offline backatit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 28, 2006, 08:24 AM »
I'm sure if you asked nicely PIKEGUY can supply you with all the wool you need    ;D

Yea but he'd be soooooooooooo lonely :D

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #15 on: Oct 28, 2006, 08:32 AM »
I wear the LL Bean (I know I know, yuppie clothes) Maine Warden Parka--MMMMMMM....Toasty!!!!!  Plus it comes w/ hood and is windproof.  Flannel lined jeans w/ski pants round it out and I outlast my buddies when we're open air fishing

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Oct 28, 2006, 09:11 PM »
I got a carhart artic extreem jacket just for ice fishing....the bibs and jacket work great....

Me too, mine is warm as hell and INDESRUCTUBLE!! Get one with a hood, Like the active Jacket. You put your back to the wind, flip up you hood, and think of girls in bikinis! ;D
I would go with the carhart arctic extreme bibs

I have a pair of them too. I always wear the knees out of my bibs after a few winters, these are five years old and still look like new! :thumbsup:

Offline BAZOOKAJOE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 02, 2006, 04:44 PM »
I'd go with gore-tex bibs and a jacket.  Check out http://www.sierratradingpost.com/  they usually have some good deals.  The carharts are nice...but not real waterproof.

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 09, 2006, 02:07 AM »
I also have the artic extreme jacket and insulated bibs from Carharrt.  They are virtually indestructible, very warm and waterproof.
Call me wierd, but I think they look cool once they've been broken in and faded.  :cookoo:
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 09, 2006, 02:34 AM »
Question...for those who have the carharrts, what's the best way, or...your way of washing/drying them?
Wishin' I was Fishin'

hali-man

« Reply #20 on: Nov 09, 2006, 05:39 AM »
I wear a Gore-Tex shell (jacket and pants).
You can wear as much (or as little) as needed underneath for the day's weather conditions.

Offline dachmation

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #21 on: Nov 09, 2006, 06:19 AM »
I like the Carrhart Arctics too but get em in black, dont fade like the duck and show dirt as bad.

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 09, 2006, 09:48 AM »
I 16th the Carhartt Artic!  The have the snap on hoods for them, but I like to look like a hick and wear a bomber hat instead. 

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Nov 09, 2006, 04:11 PM »
Question...for those who have the carharrts, what's the best way, or...your way of washing/drying them?
\

In the washer and dryer! ;D

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 09, 2006, 04:30 PM »
Wash it??? ???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.