Author Topic: Best suit for cold weather?  (Read 44453 times)

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Best suit for cold weather?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 24, 2011, 11:39 AM »
SNOSUIT bibs and parka, top of the line, will never get cold
That may be true, but they don't float.  The older I get the less I feel like taking chances so safety is important.  I went years without wearing a flotation suit but suddenly feel the need to do so.  Maybe it has something to do with the lousy ice conditions this year.
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline Skinnybenny

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chasin' Only Monsters,Catchin' Only Bait
« Reply #31 on: Dec 25, 2011, 03:01 PM »
I checked out my first artic armor suit yesterday and I am soooo glad I went with the striker suit I feel as if the most I would ever pay for the AA suit would probaly be 150 bucks because it's so thin and doesn't feel nearly as solid as the striker reg suit  and not to mention the stiching and overall look of quality  is far supieor to that of the AA suite, not just the AA suit but I looked at the new frabill suit and the clam gray suit
Give a man a Fish,Feed him for a day:Teach Him to Fish And He will Be Preoccupied the rest of his Life

Offline CravingIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Dec 28, 2011, 11:18 PM »
Lots of great info on these suits.  I've been considering purchasing a suit for a couple years, glad I waited.   Thinking of getting the bibs first, then a jacket next year.  The lite looks like it would be fine for me, as I'm usually in my Clam portable hut.
Almost looks like Korkys will ship to my location in Canada for free, think it might just be the website not working properly, think I'll call.
Seventy percent water, thirty percent land...it's an ANGLERS WORLD!!!

Offline bosco2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 29, 2011, 12:52 AM »
I'm on my 3rd year with my AA and I've had no problems. I can't speak to customer service because I haven't needed it. I guess I'll consider myself fortunate based on what I've read on other threads. Even though I'm not in the market for a new ice suit I thought I'd investigate just to take a look at the new, new thing. Best price I'm seeing though is $350 plus $40 shipping. The AA discounted "Packers" suit is still at $269 with free shipping. Same price as 3 years ago. Spending thousands on snowmobiles or ATV's to pull our gear and hundreds more on shelters and power augers makes a measly $120 in savings seem rather insignificant but for those who walk to their favorite spots with a sled and hand auger in tow and who wear their shelters on their backs, it's real savings (especially considering that it's limited, seasonal, recreational outdoor wear).  My ice suit is far and away the most money I've spent on any single ice fishing product so I imagine I would get really uptight if it didn't perform or if it consisted of shoddy crafstmanship or materials. Thankfully,  to date it's not been a disappointing purchase.

Offline IceKrystal

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Dec 29, 2011, 04:33 AM »
Comparing these brands side by side, fit, finish and style I would definitely pay the extra cash.
Red Rock has the Striker Ice (regular) 350 shipped and lite for 330 shipped. Includes a free pair of gloves, A $30 value.

Offline Minnowhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 29, 2011, 05:00 AM »
Those pics of the Striker suit from TheDl are awesome.  I got my AA suit in camo for dual purpose.  So I'm very pleased with it for my applications. I would think the Striker suits would make a great ice/snowmobile suit.  It looks very well made and thought out.  A few guys around Ohio are getting the Strikers.  I would be willing to bet that Ice Armor and Frabill are going to offer a float suit in order to keep in the market.  Because that Striker suit should take over real quick! Are they real heavy like the Frabill and are they the same price as AA?  Great pictures, thanks for sharing.
Confucious say: "Wise man waits till Winter to walk on water!"

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 29, 2011, 10:42 AM »
Yeah, they are "heavy" with insulation - i.e. they feel warm, but not heavy enough to weigh you down.  The striker suit is about $350, and well worth it in my opinion.

Lots of great info on these suits.  I've been considering purchasing a suit for a couple years, glad I waited.   Thinking of getting the bibs first, then a jacket next year.  The lite looks like it would be fine for me, as I'm usually in my Clam portable hut.
Almost looks like Korkys will ship to my location in Canada for free, think it might just be the website not working properly, think I'll call.
I don't know about free shipping to Canada - I'd be surprised, but please post if you find some.  I've been burned by UPS and thier brokerage fees coming over the border - so I'd say have the company ship USPS if possible, or try a border pickup service like kinek.com - very easy and $5/package.  A good option if there's a border within driving distance.  I've used Kinek at Wellsley Island building supply and it was easy-breazy.
Tight lines

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 16, 2012, 08:02 AM »
I've wore my striker regular suit out a few times now, and I love it.  Functionally it's great!  The pockets and zips are all very conveniently placed.  The venting is a life saver!!  I walked 4km last weekend in it and zipped open the pits, and used the 3-way leg zip to vent at the knees...boy did that make a HUGE difference!  I also wore it this weekend, 8 hours on the ice both days in -15 to -20 weather, sitting on a bucket.  I was toasty warm with only a wicking polypropylene (not warm) base layer...and I normally run pretty cold.  I often forgot I had the vents open, it's that warm.  When I did break a sweat, it seemed to evaporate quickly and I was NEVER wet or cold. 

Awesome suit!!
Tight lines

Offline finnbear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 17, 2012, 01:10 PM »
I wish I had bought anything but the Arctic Armor. AA has poor design in that there is no venting in the crotch or pits. The suit is very warm, but the sweat builds and your wicking underwear has no where to wick to anymore. The bibs are very warm and I can spend hours on Lake Superior ice sitting on a bucket and not get cold.
 But the real problem is trying to stay dry. You get soaked from sweat on the inside and the parka soaked through entirely when I was early spring fishing in rain/ snow mix up at Copper Harbor in the tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula, there was a driving North wind and the rain soaked through in about 45 minutes. AA needs to do some work on their suits before I would recommend them and their customer service really is about as poor as you can get.
When I called and emailed for the 4th week in a row, they finally answered the phone, I heard nothing but excuses as to why I was wet only on the right side - facing the wind driven snow/rain mix. From sweat to rain dripping down my neck - even though I had the hood up. They never offered to fix or replace the suit.
Too many lakes
Too little time

Offline colsac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 17, 2012, 04:00 PM »
TheDL great job on the review, although I thought the picture with the bottle of Labatt's was in poor taste....but that may be because I prefer a whiskey and seven.

I have the striker lite.  First outfit I have ever owned so I cannot compare to others.  What I can say is that I am impressed with the fit and finish.  I am 6'-3", 290 pounds, 42+ waist, 34+ inseam and 52+ chest.  I usually need to buy clothing in tall size.  I went with the XXL parka and bibs.  Bibs are a little snug around the belly but still room for a few layers if required. plenty of length in the legs.  Parka fits great with room to layer and sleeves that are long enough for my long arms.  Only used a few times so far but I'm impressed.  Will try to give a review at the end of the season after I have used it more.   

Offline Novak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 23, 2012, 07:57 PM »
I now own the Striker Regular floating jacket and bibs and I love them.  Both of them are awesome quality and I have no regrets so far.  Very very warm!  I was going to get the lite but my buddy reminded me that it's always nicer to have to take layers off than to put layers on so I decided to get the regular and I am loving them.  I am 6'1 and 180lbs and the Medium bibs are a bit tight when pulling them on with jeans but they do fit fine without problems.  However on my chest for the jacket, I am 39" and I bought the Medium which is 40 - 43 and is baggy on me.  Definitely stay within the measurements on the website unless you like it baggy for layers.

Don't get me wrong, the jacket works fine and fits fine, just a little big for me and a bit baggy but it's not causing me any issues.  So far the quality of the suit is fantastic and there's pockets galor.  The customer service is fantastic too.  I got an email response back within a few hours because my bibs were missing a snap on the bottom left  pant leg.  He immediately took my address and sent me 3 additional snap kits in addition to the snap kit that comes with the bibs so I had no problems fixing the snap right away.

I can't comment on AA but from the things that I've heard about them, they wont be around much longer if Striker continues their amazing product line and customer service that they have.   I'm sure I'm forgetting to mention stuff so feel free to post on here or PM me for additional questions or comments.

~Novak

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Jan 25, 2012, 04:24 PM »
I am definitely going to put one of these on the Christmas list for next year!  I have never worn any dedicated ice fishing bibs, usually just some warm long underwear and lightly insulated snow pants.  How warm are the Striker bibs?  I am a "hot-blooded" person and VT is definitely not as ridiculously cold as many of the areas on this forum.  Most of my spots are  a 1/2 to 1 mile walk and I wouldn't want to be too sweaty when I start fishing. 

Offline macchia182

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 25, 2012, 06:49 PM »
I went with the Striker Ice Lite suit. It's very warm but has half of the insulation of the regular suit. I also walk long distances and hole hop a lot.  The regular suit is more super extreme cold temps. Thats what I was told.

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #43 on: Jan 25, 2012, 09:17 PM »
Have never seen the Striker, but have read that one of the main selling points is that it has the vented armpits that prevent overheating.  Someone mentioned that its a great option til you go through the Ice and come up really wet.  They pointed out that if the AA suit is worn properly it is air tight so you do not get as wet as you would in the striker.  I have the AA suit and I know I sweat my butt off with very little movement, and would like the option of the striker suit, but not sure if the function limits the safety.  The only way to know is to go through the ice in both of them and I'm not voluntering for that experiment !!!!!!!!!!!! 

Offline cousin eddie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 26, 2012, 12:58 PM »
I assume if you are in the ice for any longer than several seconds, you are getting wet in either suit, pit zips or not.  Water will still seep in to a degree through your zippers, at your arm/leg cuffs, and under your coat, no matter how tight you are buckled down.  I doubt one extra zipper in your pits makes a difference.  I honestly wouldn't care if I'm wet, as long I float so I can get out or get rescued easier.  I don't think you will find a true water tight float suit unless you go with a true cold-water immersion suit.

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #45 on: Jan 26, 2012, 07:58 PM »
I don't care to test and I believe your right

Offline GILL GRABBER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 27, 2012, 12:06 PM »
i have got the all black arctic armor suit. Have had it two years. Started coming apart after the first few times of using it. Called customer service and they were the worst.The guy i talked to did nothing but tell me about some pair of 150.00 jeans that he bought that  were junk.Had to have my Mom who is a seamstress fix them. now this year when i kneel down on the ice my knees get wet. Anybody that ask me about them on the ice or sports shops i tell them they are junk. All that i asked is let me return it for a different pair. when  i first called them i had only wore it about 4 times.

Offline GILL GRABBER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Jan 27, 2012, 12:14 PM »
After looking at the pics the dl posted i can say that suit is far superior to the arctic armor.

Offline cousin eddie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 27, 2012, 12:38 PM »
I don't care to test and I believe your right

I don't care to test the float feature, either, but if that time comes I'll let you know!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH8WwtAGsQw&list=UU0eHCo3zKs31KcX_k398ewg&index=1&feature=plcp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddp-h4E_LkI&list=UU0eHCo3zKs31KcX_k398ewg&index=2&feature=plcp

Sure looks like it floats you good, though!

Offline finnbear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Feb 02, 2012, 10:08 AM »
I have had my AA suit now for 2 seasons. First season was disappointing that the suit was NOT water proof. I mean from all the advertising you would think you could use it instead of rain gear for early season fishing - simply not true. It is not water proof, mine soaked through very quickly last spring. When I called customer service, they were really bad, they treated me like I was stupid and were actually cocky to me.
I hole hop a lot and the floatation aspect sounds real good to me, but you have to be wearing the suit for the floatation aspect to work, since there are no vents in the pits or crotch and the side zippers don't go very far up the boot, I end up with the jacket tucked on my sled and the bibs unzipped so as to not build up a huge sweat.
If your fishing style is to drive to your shack on a vehicle and do no walking or get any exercise and there is no chance of rain or wet snow - buy the Arctic Armor suit.
If you plan on walking and working from hole to hole and you might get caught in wet snow or rain, buy the Striker.

AA suit also has these slits in the front of the bibs so you can easily access your pants pockets. Nice idea, but the slits have to flaps, so there is an opening where wet snow can get in and soak your pants when sitting on a bucket. AA does not have any D rings, they have some handy pockets, but I love having D rings to attach my line cutter, measuring tape and hemostats. I know these are small thing, but if you are selling a product for ice fishing why not actually talk to an ice fisherman before you design the thing.
Too many lakes
Too little time

Offline revpilot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Feb 02, 2012, 10:11 AM »
the striker suits are on sale at redrock right now!!!!

go to redrockstore dot com and click    on the   WINTER ONLINE CLEARANCE SALE BANNER

Offline MLBob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Feb 02, 2012, 04:10 PM »
the striker suits are on sale at redrock right now!!!!

You have to go to their "new" catalog to see them on sale.

Offline fishman31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Feb 12, 2012, 02:10 PM »
For those concerned about keeping warm in the wind the Striker Ice is your suit. This is sure to keep you warm on even the most windy of days. As far as how to dress with them. In a recent outing of 19 degrees and 30 mph winds a person wearing jeans and thermals with an under armor shirt was perfectly comfortable.  On the sunny active days you can dress down wiht a single layer of under clothing and in the event you get warmed up a simple zip down of the legs will cool you down in the event you need it. All in all you will not be any happier with the thickness of the fabric, durability and fit.  It is a suit that will sure fit you like a tailored tux.    FISH307.com also has them now.   Give them a call.

Offline Seacat145

• IceShanty Rookie
  • NRA Life Mem- It's only cold if you peak outside!
« Reply #53 on: Feb 14, 2012, 01:05 PM »
To all those that posted, I cannot thank you enough. I have been considering buying a new suit, the refrigiwear has begun to show it's age. Another reason is the floatation added to the suits. Most times I fish alone due to work and the added safety on first and last ice means a lot. When you are in your twenty's you don't even consider falling in, but as you get older you start rethinking your position. Does anyone know where I could try these on in PA or NY? In NY, I have a camp on Sandy Pond.

Thanks again!

Offline fishman31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Feb 14, 2012, 05:01 PM »
Seacat.   
There will be a retailer in the Syracuse area soon.  Try to make a trip to FISH307.  They have them.

Offline Seacat145

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Feb 14, 2012, 05:34 PM »
Thanks Fishman, I was thinking about coming up this weekend but the poor ice conditions at the pond is holding me back. I am sending you a pm.

Offline NyPaHunter789

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Feb 14, 2012, 09:42 PM »
korkys outpost or something like that has the striker lite jackets for $96 bucks i just ordered one

Offline Seacat145

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Feb 15, 2012, 05:23 AM »
Thanks NyPaHunter789, I will check it out on line.

Offline cousin eddie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Feb 15, 2012, 08:05 AM »
korkys outpost or something like that has the striker lite jackets for $96 bucks i just ordered one

Damn, they're practically giving the suits away!  At that price, I might have to order the regular Ice suit for those extremely cold/windy days and save my Lite suit for the reasonable weather.

Offline killa1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Feb 15, 2012, 08:38 AM »
korkys has the striker lite jacket 95.99 and bibs 89.99 plus free shipping.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.