New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Lake George Access Closed---Vandalism  (Read 3953 times)

JJ

Lake George Access Closed---Vandalism
« on: Feb 13, 2019, 10:32 AM »
I noticed the gate at Diamond Point Beach on Lake Rd was locked last week, sign said due to vandalism. I had an idea what it was and confirmed it this week: apparently some ice fisherman(men) decided that getting on the ice there was more important than the new dock the town paid $80,000 to build... and they disabled the ice eater. The town council had no choice but to lock the gate, said it happens every year; told me they are open to suggestions.

Despite the locked gate and "NO TRESSPASSING" sign, I heard some are going over the fence to get on. Wouldn't be surprised if tickets are issued next time.

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Lake George Access Closed---Vandalism
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2019, 11:19 AM »
It's getting harder and harder to admit that I live in this country
Go to Heaven for the climate, to hell for the company!

Offline riverat24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2019, 11:32 AM »
Very disappointing.  Some icefisherman are a special kind of stupid.  Respect for public and private property is totally lacking by a minority that ruin things for the majority.

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2019, 11:40 AM »
Just once, I wish I could catch someone in the act of doing this crap! This is just plain stupid and disrespectful, now all ice fishermen get this bad rep and we all lose an access spot. 
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2019, 12:04 PM »
Don't call them fishermen. Call them what they are: Vandals and criminals.

Offline BOCHASER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2019, 12:26 PM »
$80,000 for a dock! I should get into the dock building business! If they were buying a new dock couldn't they have looked into a removable dock that could serve the same purpose and also would eliminate the bubbler in the winter? This would allow legal safe ice access to the public to prime fishing grounds as well as eliminate the temptation of some to trespass and/or damage property.

Offline chevy rotbox

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2019, 12:27 PM »
x2 that
retired let the fishing begin

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2019, 12:44 PM »
$80,000 for a dock! I should get into the dock building business! If they were buying a new dock couldn't they have looked into a removable dock that could serve the same purpose and also would eliminate the bubbler in the winter? This would allow legal safe ice access to the public to prime fishing grounds as well as eliminate the temptation of some to trespass and/or damage property.

They do not care about safe legal access.  Must keep rich taxpayers happy first with a new dock.  Nothing justifies the vandalism but lets be honest the communities around Lake George would be happy to see all fishermen off the lake.  Now keep in mind some anti's are crazy enough to do such a thing.  I know homeowner at vets....anyways. 

Offline icebuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2019, 01:16 PM »
No excuse for the vandalism. I’ve said before that we sportsmen can be our own worst enemy. The tax paying district of a small local lake asked me a while ago my thoughts on stocking walleye. I told them not to for this very reason; not to mention there’s no spawning habitat.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2019, 01:21 PM »
It's getting harder and harder to admit that I live in this country

don't  ever say that this  is the greatest country to have  ever existed  and a lot of good  men and women   died to make it that way ..... you take  a look around and  tell me  were you rather be  ....I don't  see any caravan headed  from America  to ecuador or venezuela

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2019, 02:01 PM »
This has happened before too and oddly enough Ive seen people use the access for commercial activity after the fact....not naming any names (OP) cough, cough, couch.  Wish I had time to mention that earlier...this year ill take a pic if that odd coincidence presents itself.  I always thought it was humorous. 

I bet you could get a local court to file an injunction to get that access opened.  Im tempted.

Offline tblaster123

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2019, 02:01 PM »
No excuse for the vandalism. I’ve said before that we sportsmen can be our own worst enemy. The tax paying district of a small local lake asked me a while ago my thoughts on stocking walleye. I told them not to for this very reason; not to mention there’s no spawning habitat.

no spawning habitat is really necessary if they continue to put fry in every year or so. Caught my personal best walleye on a lake that has absolutely no spawning habitat at all.. 31".. but this thread is about vandalism and honestly I cant understand why there would be an ice eater in close proximity to a public fishing access to a lake anyway... doesn't make it right to disable it, but it's kinda like putting a boat on shore for the public to use but it has a giant hole in the bottom of it.

Offline BOCHASER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2019, 03:06 PM »
There is no need to enforce resident only access here in the winter because the access is not safe. Basically no access. This seems by design to me and I can not take your reply seriously that this was ever intended to be available to the public in the winter. 

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2019, 03:09 PM »
If observing something I find to be humorous that has to do with this topic is trolling then toss me under a bridge and call me a troll.  Special interests control the use of that lake to an extent that unmatched by any other new england lake.  We could argue this for a long time but the need for solid access to take clients out is something I had to account for when I had the opportunity to guide.  Can't have clients roll up to a full lot at vets right?

Frogger call it conversation or complaining but if topics are not discussed this website would be kind of boring.

Offline Fishmarket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2019, 03:17 PM »
If they spent 80,000 on a dock and this problem has occurred in the past, the small expense of some security cameras in comparison to the dock seems like a good investment.  I'm glad I don't have to worry about access to the lake.  Who ever did do this deserves a blanket party from the rest of the ice fisherman.
AM

Offline Skunkhunt42

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2019, 03:22 PM »
Odd, 2nd time this area has been “closed”. I forget, was it the landowner has a you wash my hand, I’ll wash your hand relationship with a local business? Weird the bubblers at the major accesses were never tampered with. Wonder what’s special about this access that it gets “closed” so many times. Shame this happened here. Hope the person is caught, and nothing underhanded is happening.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2019, 03:38 PM »
There is no need to enforce resident only access here in the winter because the access is not safe. Basically no access. This seems by design to me and I can not take your reply seriously that this was ever intended to be available to the public in the winter.

This.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2019, 03:46 PM »
Its a shame that icefishermen work against each other when it comes to access,especially on lake george.  Sure would be nice if another angler, maybe someone that has some influence with the lake association and local politics, could really help out us fisherman with some of these access issues.

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 13, 2019, 04:26 PM »
Not the quickest, easiest, or most short-term cost effective route, but a lasting solution to this problem is for EVERYONE to raise the coming generations with love, respect, and kindness. Not just our own kids, not just our relatives, but all children. People who are vandalizing, or trespassing, or blocking off access, or leaving garbage, or keeping fish outside legal size or quantities, are all people who were not raised in a healthy, loving community.

I see people upset about an act of vandalism. That is justified. I see people upset about the nature of the judgments made on people living in America. That is justified. I see people upset with other people who are shaming anyone who lives in America. That is justified. I see people upset about how a thread on a fishing forum is evolving/devolving. That is justified. But what this shows me, is people are upset. People who are upset do not act with reason, respect, or loving kindness. IceShanty is one of my favorite places to come and chat and read about ice fishing with a community of people who also love the outdoors and the silly sport of ice fishing. I think we could all use a little Vitamin D, a day of rest (hopefully fishing), and to apologize (to ourselves) for being stressed and acting out of emotion rather than consideration for others. Stress causes the activation of the sympathetic nervous system which in turn leads to selfishness and defensiveness. Take a breath, relax, release that tension in your neck, shoulders, and back and realize we are talking about ice fishing here. No need to get worked.

Yes, vandalism is not acceptable. Yes, access to Lake George is limited, especially in the winter. Yes, we need to calmly come together and find a practical solution. Jabbing at each other won't help. We will have differing opinions on what the best course of action may be. However, I think this thread could pose as an extremely beneficial place to brainstorm practical, realistic options that CaptJJ might be able to propose at upcoming board meetings.

As far as my suggestion, I don't live close enough anymore to know the ins and outs of the politics at play. But I do know that stress hormones dont help develop helpful, lasting solutions.
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline T-Rok

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 13, 2019, 04:30 PM »
Well said. When I was younger. This kind of stuff was a lot more rare. Maybe it's because there was less people. But probably because people just care less now than they used to about others.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 13, 2019, 04:40 PM »
Its a shame that icefishermen work against each other when it comes to access,especially on lake george.  Sure would be nice if another angler, maybe someone that has some influence with the lake association and local politics, could really help out us fisherman with some of these access issues.

I'm with red . I rely on public access and respect areas that are private by not going there. Eventually as in this case it's now not so public.
Think of it this way . Ahhhhhh there's never anyone on that property so anyone is free to just go hunting there. In sense we are hunting fish.

Thanks to everyone who cares about the sports we do to help EVERYONE enjoy them as stewards of the outdoors.

My perspective of this thread message is someone holds a grudge towards that access by shutting off the bubbler. I would highly suspect its someone very familiar with it in close proximity.
As said above, the well traveled areas are not being the issue.
At any rate,  don't mess with what's not yours but focus on protecting,  expand things for others

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 13, 2019, 04:52 PM »
How did they disable the ice eater ?  Unplug it ?  Why don’t they just put a lock box on the plug.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Feb 13, 2019, 04:59 PM »
How did they disable the ice eater ?  Unplug it ?  Why don’t they just put a lock box on the plug.

I was kinda wondering the same thing

add a couple hidden  trail cams   and you got the  guy

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 13, 2019, 05:14 PM »
They would probably unplug it and pocket the free game cam.

Offline Fishmarket

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 13, 2019, 05:38 PM »
They would probably unplug it and pocket the free game cam.

They make cameras that send pics to cell phone as soon as its taken and they also make metal covers to protect them and can support cable attachments.  If you put them 20ft up a tree no one is going to know they are there
AM

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 13, 2019, 05:56 PM »
What is being asked and or suggested cost money.  Money to install , fee to wifi and maintenance to check. 
Not a solution because nobody I know these days works for free and it's tough to get people to pay.

Just stop and think what one is doing that impacts many.

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 13, 2019, 06:05 PM »
I don’t think a lock box or game cam is going to brake the bank if they spend $80,000 on a dock lol

Offline mdougla1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 13, 2019, 06:09 PM »
Folks talking about what steps the town should take to prevent folks from vandalizing property. 

Unreal.   

Close the access. 

Free solution to taxpaying citizens.

Shame folks can't respect public or private property.
I'm not saying they're biting on Brant.  But they probably are

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Feb 13, 2019, 06:22 PM »
What is being asked and or suggested cost money.  Money to install , fee to wifi and maintenance to check. 
Not a solution because nobody I know these days works for free and it's tough to get people to pay.

Just stop and think what one is doing that impacts many.

a lock  box  for the  plug would  cost about  25  bucks and  just for  safty reasons  should have  already been installed  the   trail cams i'm betting a local hunting  club would  be more then willing  to  donate the use of them  ....... you  do know this isn't a international jewel thief it's  someone unplugging a  basic  sub pump  .... you  could catch this  knuckle  head in no time   a  couple  trail  cams in the  dock area a couple  to get the plate  number ........you guys  got to watch  northern justice on tv

Offline T-Rok

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 13, 2019, 06:28 PM »
Together.. we can solve this crime if we just put our hearts into it. I too have watched Northern Justice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.