New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Seven tip ups next year?  (Read 3925 times)

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Seven tip ups next year?
« on: Mar 13, 2015, 08:57 AM »
I just got an email from NYDEC, and they have made some changes in the regulations, effective in April.

They wrote:
"Regulations Pertaining to Gear and Angling Methods:

Streamlining what devices may be used for ice fishing by modifying the statewide regulation to allow for a total of seven devices that may be used to fish through the ice; as well as allow for a total of 15 devices that many be used to fish through the ice at Lake Champlain."

Seven tipups/six and a jigging rod...????

Cool. Sometimes I can barely get my five in, let alone sit and jig. Lol
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline krazyk

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Seven tip ups next year?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2015, 09:51 AM »
Seems like a good way to strip fisheries dry through the ice.
All fish welcome - even suckers!

Offline felix

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2015, 10:02 AM »
Right now you are allowed 8 devices. As of April 1st you will be allowed 7. That's one less, not more. How is that supposed to "strip fisheries dry"?

Offline krazyk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2015, 10:14 AM »
Right now you are allowed 8 devices. As of April 1st you will be allowed 7. That's one less, not more. How is that supposed to "strip fisheries dry"?

Wasn't sure what you were talking about but looked it up in the regulations and turned out I was mistaken. didn't realize we could have 3 jigging rods and 5 tip ups. Thought it was 5 tip ups and 1 jigging rod lol
All fish welcome - even suckers!

Offline felix

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2015, 10:24 AM »
Your a good man for looking that up before responding. Lot's of people would have got defensive. Seems like a reasonable law to me, at least it should cut down on the "is a tip-down or a jaw jacker considered a tip-up or hand line?" debate.

Offline Pickeralpicker91

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2015, 10:29 AM »
Your a good man for looking that up before responding. Lot's of people would have got defensive. Seems like a reasonable law to me, at least it should cut down on the "is a tip-down or a jaw jacker considered a tip-up or hand line?" debate.

I think it is a good law as well.  It might put a little extra pressure on the fish because most guys I know fish with five tip ups and a jigging rod and some just use the tip ups.  Don't know anyone who actually deadsticks three rods on top of the tip ups although I'm sure some people do.   

Offline felix

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 13, 2015, 10:56 AM »
 I used to use three hand lines but I lost a rod down the hole one time while using three. "fish on! OOOPS there she goes!" I don't mind the change, but I'm sure it will bother others.

Offline tblaster123

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 13, 2015, 11:09 AM »
I'm pretty excited about this law.. As a tip up guy exclusively now I can put out 2 more lines with live minnows! I heard there is also new regs on baitfish and certain trout waters..  Anybody have details on this???

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 13, 2015, 11:18 AM »
Here is a copy of the email.  Sure that there is more detail on their website.

NYSDEC Press Release
You are subscribed to receive updates from DEC.

DEC Adopts New Freshwater Fishing Regulation

New or Modified Regulations Pertaining to Sportfish Species, Baitfish and Other Non-Game Fish and to Gear and Angling Methods

Statewide Fishing Regulations Eliminate Unnecessary Special Regulations

New freshwater fishing regulations go into effect April 1, 2015, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) Commissioner Joe Martens today announced.

"DEC modifies its freshwater sportfishing regulations as necessary to help maintain the fantastic freshwater sportfishing New York is known for," said Commissioner Martens. Changes are made to the regulations governing sportfishing and related activities to address management needs in specific waters, as well as to accommodate angler and other stakeholder desires. Many of the proposed changes resulted from DEC's focus on consolidating regulations where possible and eliminating special regulations that are no longer warranted and have become outdated."

The modifications to the sportfishing regulations are a result of a two-year process which included biological assessment, discussions with anglers and a formal 45-day public comment period. DEC used public input to finalize the changes. These regulations will be published in the 2015-16 Freshwater Fishing Regulations Guide which will be available at all license sales vendors in March.

Highlights of the final changes include:

New or Modified Regulations Pertaining to Sportfish Species:

Establishing a closed statewide season for sauger.
Modifying the statewide regulation for muskellunge by increasing the minimum size limit to 40 inches and adjusting the season opener from the third Saturday in June to the last Saturday in May.
Providing consistency between the proposed statewide muskellunge regulation changes and the existing muskellunge regulations for specific waters including Lake Champlain, and St. Lawrence County rivers and streams, as well as for both muskellunge and tiger muskellunge at Chautauqua Lake.
Increasing the minimum size limit for muskellunge to 54 inches in the Niagara River, Lake Ontario and St. Lawrence River.
Increasing the minimum size limit for walleye at Honeoye Lake from 15 to 18 inches.
Establishing year-round trout seasons, with catch and release fishing only from October 16 through March 31, at the following streams in Western New York: Chenunda Creek, Oatka Creek, Clear Creek, Fenton Brook, Prendergast Creek, and waters in Allegany State Park.
Initiating a catch and release season for trout for sections of the Salmon River (Franklin County) and Ninemile Creek (Onondaga County), and extend the catch and release season at Fall Creek (Cayuga Lake).
Establishing a special trout regulation of a daily creel limit of five fish with no more than two fish longer than 12 inches, for some waters in Herkimer, Jefferson, Lewis, Oneida, and St. Lawrence counties, as well as for Little River and Oswegatchie River (St. Lawrence County), and Oriskany Creek (Oneida County).
Establishing an all-year trout season, with a 12-inch minimum size limit and daily limit of three fish, at Hinkley and Prospect Reservoirs in Herkimer and Oneida counties, North Lake in Herkimer County, and for an additional section of the North Branch Saranac River in Franklin and Clinton counties.
Establishing an all year season, with a 12-inch minimum size limit and daily limit of three fish, for both trout and Landlocked salmon at Millsite Lake in Jefferson County.
Expanding the current special trout regulation for Pine, Boottree, Town Line, Deer and Horseshoe ponds (St. Lawrence County) to the entire set of waters that are a part of the Massawepie Easement.
Expanding the current trout and salmon special regulations for the Fulton Chain of lakes to the connected water body Old Forge Pond.
Establishing a 15-inch minimum size limit for lake trout and clarify that the statewide regulations apply for other species for Owasco Outlet (Cayuga County).
Modifying trout and/or salmon regulations for Star Lake and Trout Lake (St. Lawrence County), by increasing the minimum size limit for trout to 12 inches and reducing the daily creel limit to three. Add landlocked salmon to species with an open year-round season for Star Lake.
Establishing an open year-round trout season for Sylvia Lake (St. Lawrence County), with a 12-inch minimum size limit and three fish daily creel limit, with ice fishing permitted.
Extending Great Lakes tributary regulations upstream to the section of the Genesee River (Monroe County) from State Route 104 Bridge upstream to the Lower Falls.
Exempting Old Seneca Lake Inlet from the Finger Lakes tributary regulations.
Clarifying, in regulation, a definition for "catch and release fishing" and defining how incidental catches of untargeted fish are to be handled.
Elimination of special regulations that are no longer warranted. Statewide fishing regulations now apply:

Deleting the special minimum size and daily creel limit walleye regulation for Fern Lake (Clinton County), Lake Algonquin (Hamilton County), and Franklin Falls Flow, Lower Saranac Lake and Rainbow Lake in Franklin County, and Tully Lake (Cortland and Onondaga Counties).
Eliminating the special regulations (examples being minimum size limit, daily creel limit, season length and/or method of take) for trout, landlocked salmon and/or lake trout, at several waters including Schoharie Reservoir, Susquehanna River (between Otsego and Goodyear Lakes), Launt Pond (Delaware County), Basswood Pond (Otsego County), Lake Algonquin (Hamilton County), Jennings Park Pond (Hamilton County), Hoosic River and Little Hoosic River (Rensselaer County), Hudson River (Saratoga County), North Branch Saranac River (Clinton and Franklin Counties), Clear and Wheeler Ponds (Herkimer County), Cold Brook (St. Lawrence County), and West Branch of the St. Regis River (St. Lawrence County).
Eliminating the special brown trout and landlocked salmon regulations (minimum size limit, daily creel limit and season length) at Otsego Lake.
Eliminating the 10-inch minimum size limit for black bass at Lily Pond and Pack Forest Lake in Warren County; eliminate the "all year - any size" special regulation for black bass at Cayuta Creek in Tioga County; and adopt a consistent minimum size limit for black bass for sections of the Schoharie Creek at 10 inches.
Eliminating the daily creel limit special regulation for sunfish and yellow perch in Cumberland Bay (Lake Champlain), as well as eliminate the prohibition on the sale of yellow perch taken from Cumberland Bay.
Eliminating the minimum size limit special regulation for lake trout in the Essex Chain of Lakes.
Eliminating the separate special regulation for trout for Ischua Creek, and apply the Cattaraugus County regulation.
Regulations Pertaining to Baitfish and Other Non-Game Fish:

Prohibiting the use of fish as bait in newly acquired trout waters: Fish Hole Pond and Balsam Pond in Franklin County; and Clear Pond in Washington County.
Removing the baitfish prohibition on Harlow Lake, Genesee County.
Removing all currently listed eligible waters for the commercial collection of baitfish: in Clinton County, except Lake Champlain; in Essex County, except Lake Champlain and Lake Flower; in Franklin County, except Lake Flower, Lower Saranac Lake, Raquette River, Tupper Lake and Upper Saranac Lake; in Fulton County; in Hamilton County, except Indian Lake, Lake Pleasant and Long Lake; in Saratoga County, except the Hudson River, Lake Lonely and outlet Lake Lonely to Kayaderosseras Creek, Mohawk River and Saratoga Lake; in Warren County, except the Hudson River; and in Washington County, except the Hudson River and Lake Champlain.
Adding madtoms and stonecats to the approved list of fish that may be used, collected and sold as baitfish.
Eliminating "snatching" of burbot in Scomotion Creek (Clinton County).
Eliminating smelt "dipping" in Raquette Lake (Hamilton County).
Modifying smelt regulations for Cayuga and Owasco Lakes, for consistency with five Western Finger Lakes.
Eliminating the prohibition on taking smelt and suckers with a scap or dip net in Willow Creek (Tompkins County).
Removing the allowance for snatching lake whitefish at Otsego Lake.
Regulations Pertaining to Gear and Angling Methods:

Streamlining what devices may be used for ice fishing by modifying the statewide regulation to allow for a total of seven devices that may be used to fish through the ice; as well as allow for a total of 15 devices that many be used to fish through the ice at Lake Champlain.
Eliminating the gear restrictions at Follensby Clear Pond (Franklin County) that permits ice fishing but prohibits the use of tip-ups.
With the exception of the Salmon River, permitting the use of floating lures with multiple hooks with multiple hook points, on all Lake Ontario tributaries.
Clarifying the definition of floating lures on Lake Ontario tributaries to: "A floating lure is a lure that floats while at rest in water with or without any weight attached to the line, leader, or lure".
Clarifying that the current regulation for the Great Lake tributaries restricting the use of hooks with added weight was not intended to ban the use of small jigs.
Expanding the prohibition of weight added to the line, leader, swivels, artificial fly or lures to all Lake Ontario tributaries (i.e. beyond a limited group of tributaries) from September 1 through March 31 of the following year.
Clarifying the use of multiple hooks with multiple hook points on Lake Erie tributaries is legal, as well as clarify that the use of flies with up to two hook points is legal on all Great Lake tributaries.
Replacing Lake Ontario tributary regulations for St. Lawrence River tributaries in Jefferson and St. Lawrence counties with statewide terminal tackle restrictions.
Redefining the upstream limit for spearfishing on the Salmon River (Franklin County).
Clarifying the description of gear (gill nets) that is allowed for, in the Finger Lakes, for the collection of alewives for personal use as bait.
Reinstating the prohibition on large landing nets (nets larger than 50 inches around the frame or with a handle longer than 20 inches) for Finger Lakes tributaries except for those sections that are specifically identified.
In addition to the above, several changes were made to properly establish or clarify an earlier regulation change, better define an existing regulation (by rewording), or address regulations that have not changed but are now redundant and covered elsewhere in the regulations including as a result of consolidation.

Governor Cuomo's NY Open for Fishing and Hunting Initiative is an effort to improve recreational opportunities for sportsmen and women and to boost tourism activities throughout the state. This includes streamlining fishing and hunting licenses, reducing license fees, improving access for fishing and increasing hunting opportunities in New York State. In support of this initiative, $10 million in NY Works funding has been dedicated to fish hatchery repairs and 50 new land and water access projects such as boat launches, hunting blinds, trails and parking areas.

Under the initiative, the 2015-16 Executive Budget proposes an additional $8 million for state land access projects and an additional $4 million for the state's hatcheries in NY Works funding. The Budget also proposes to create a new capital account which along with federal Pittman-Robertson funds will be used to manage, protect and restore fish and wildlife habitat, and to improve and develop public access for fish and wildlife-related recreation. The complete list of sportfishing regulation changes can be viewed under "Recently Adopted (Previous Twelve Months)" on DEC's website. All comments received were categorized and reviewed for substance, and staff responses were compiled. A summary of the "Assessment of Public Comment" is available on the Department of State website.

This service is provided to you by New York State Department of Environmental Conservation. We respect your right to privacy and welcome your feedback.

Connect with DEC on Facebook and Twitter

Offline tblaster123

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 13, 2015, 11:22 AM »

Offline Prchmike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 13, 2015, 11:27 AM »
Seems like a good way to strip fisheries dry through the ice.
It was 8
Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it...

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 13, 2015, 11:39 AM »
I thought it was 5 TU and 2 hand lines.  Lol

I was up on Champlain and put my 15 out once, didn't catch a thing aside from a few dink perch, then had to put all that crap away. Too  much work.   I stick to 5 and a jig pole.   Now I might put the 6th out   Hmmmm

Offline ThisGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 13, 2015, 03:34 PM »
I don't think it will effect the amount of fish being caught for the most part. When the bite is hot, usually I can't keep up with 5 tip ups anyway. Usually jigging is the way to go in this instance. Depending on the species you are after. During a slow bite, you might be able to pick up a few more fish here and there. All said and done, and not to sound like a jerk, but I know some people need all the help they can get! Lol!
This house is protected by the good Lord and a gun

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 14, 2015, 05:02 PM »
X2
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 14, 2015, 05:19 PM »
champlain actually lost 2 now its 15 in any combination before it was 15 tip ups and 2 hand held  else where its now 7 in any combination i think they were tired of trying to figure out what was a tip up and what was not

Offline tblaster123

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 16, 2015, 01:27 PM »
Eliminating the special regulations (examples being minimum size limit, daily creel limit, season length and/or method of take) for trout, landlocked salmon and/or lake trout, at several waters including Schoharie Reservoir, Susquehanna River (between Otsego and Goodyear Lakes), Launt Pond (Delaware County), Basswood Pond (Otsego County)

Does that mean all these years we could have ice fished on basswood pond? Cause now statewide regulations apply.. What special regs were there for basswood pond? I love fishing there from shore in the spring

Offline Bear Lake Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 16, 2015, 03:59 PM »
 :tipup:

That has to be the quote of the year,

Offline Gary Minckler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 16, 2015, 04:19 PM »
I like the new change since I rarely do any jigging.
 :thumbsup:
Work is for people who don't fish!

Offline BillyGoat

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I GOT 99 PROBLEMS AND A FISH AIN'T ONE
« Reply #18 on: Mar 16, 2015, 06:02 PM »
most fish have a limit , so I think u should be able to do what ever u want to get that daily limit....... put out 1000 lines  ;D                 

X2

X3

Offline EatenByLimestone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 17, 2015, 05:56 AM »
most fish have a limit , so I think u should be able to do what ever u want to get that daily limit....... put out 1000 lines and still get skunked! ;D                 

X3

Fixt

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #20 on: Mar 17, 2015, 07:05 AM »
putting out 1000 lines could get a little pricey, not to mention the weight in the sled. The government usually does not give you anything with out taking something away

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 17, 2015, 07:13 AM »
Just picked up the new 2015-16 fishing guide yesterday. With the change to 7 ice fishing devices/lines of any type they also eliminated the necessity of having name and address on said devices.
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 17, 2015, 09:48 AM »
Just picked up the new 2015-16 fishing guide yesterday. With the change to 7 ice fishing devices/lines of any type they also eliminated the necessity of having name and address on said devices.
:clap: :thumbsup: :bow:
Man. This is starting to get scary. Everything is making so much sense!

I might have to keep this a secret from my rugrats for a couple years. They'll have me running 14 tipups for perch.  :P
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Mar 19, 2015, 04:05 AM »
did i miss some thing i read the new reg 3 times and did not see where they eliminated the name on devices law

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 19, 2015, 05:56 AM »
did i miss some thing i read the new reg 3 times and did not see where they eliminated the name on devices law
You have to look in the "highlight of changes" section.

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Mar 19, 2015, 06:26 PM »
ok i did not get a new guide i get my licence in august i was looking at their web site

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Mar 23, 2015, 06:43 PM »
7 tip ups
7 bullets
coincidence I think not

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Mar 23, 2015, 07:05 PM »
It is either as high as they can count or their IQ....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Mar 23, 2015, 07:25 PM »
We can exercise this rule change in a little over a week, I think the ice will hold for most of us!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.