New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: owasco lake bs thread  (Read 20543 times)

Offline h2oworld

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Owasco Lake
« Reply #30 on: Jan 27, 2014, 06:47 PM »
Solid 8" just past 1st point north of restaurant. Then it drops to between 3 and 4 inches, but solid ice. I walked quite a ways up west side and drilled few holes. Some guys had tipups a ways out on the new ice in the middle.

Offline BearpawCNY

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 27, 2014, 07:39 PM »
I have been fishing North end and mid lake. Generally catching perch in the 18 ft. range. Did pretty decent over the weekend, went solo fishing and kept 72 between Saturday and Sunday. Caught well over 130, had to sort through them-2 real big perch the rest just that regular 9-10 inches. Ice here on the mid lake is a solid 5+ inches and I've fished many coves this way including the areas of Long point, Conings Point northbound half way to Burtis. Certainly been chilly out there! But like everyone else has said what a blessing to fish our "home" lake. For me its as easy as a walk out the door and down the stairs on to the hard water for me  :tipup: :tipup: Today was a very slow day covered a lot of ground couldn't find any fish and or they weren't on the feed. Picked a few here and there but in the end all fun! Good luck out there guys, look forward to gathering more reports on what you have been catching and the depth.

Offline bigbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 27, 2014, 11:35 PM »
Great update BearPaw, how thick was the ice at the North End on Sunday? Thanks in advance.

Offline alfed

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Jan 28, 2014, 06:46 AM »
we finally found them Sunday in shallower..started out in 25. found them in 12-14 fow. What was fun was sight fishing them, saw a few real slobs Nothing more fun than that kind of fishin but its tough on the back. lol
"Can't catch'em if you are on the couch!"

Offline BearpawCNY

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 28, 2014, 06:55 AM »
Awesome Al! North end had a good 6 inches Sunday in fished it Friday and their was was a good 4-5. Fishing south of burtis point working my way that way this morning. Caught a few here and there seems again like the fish are scattered or their is a black cloud of them down there and they just aren't biting time will tell. Solid 6 inches here today!

Offline alfed

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Jan 28, 2014, 07:30 AM »
My brother is out around Bucks Pt now. He called me to ask if the ice was okay because nobody was out yet. he is having a bad day already he forgot his spikes. the first one will be tuff to catch without some meat on a hook. he may be looking to barrow a perch eye from someone..lol

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 28, 2014, 08:04 AM »
Any updates on ensinore?

Offline BearpawCNY

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 28, 2014, 08:38 AM »
Tell him if he gets real desperate I have a perch eye but he will have to make the trek to burtis!  :'(

Offline h2oworld

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 28, 2014, 08:53 AM »
Sorry, my report above with the "I was the 1st to test" was Ensnore. Still need some time. Maybe someone other than I would be willing to venture out farther as I am a little whimpy about thin ice, but the ice was very weak and bouncy. Deep water is not far out so did not venture more than 30 yards or so. Still open water out in the 170' area, geese probably keeping in open.

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jan 28, 2014, 09:57 AM »
Sorry, my report above with the "I was the 1st to test" was Ensnore. Still need some time. Maybe someone other than I would be willing to venture out farther as I am a little whimpy about thin ice, but the ice was very weak and bouncy. Deep water is not far out so did not venture more than 30 yards or so. Still open water out in the 170' area, geese probably keeping in open.
We were hoping to hit Ensinore this weekend for lakers but it sounds like we had better wait another week or so before we make the trek up there.  Thanks for the update.   :-\ :tipup:

Offline jighead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 28, 2014, 11:08 AM »
[/quote

We need corn guns going off to keep the geese off it, I need to fish Ensinore Saturday!

Offline alfed

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Jan 28, 2014, 03:13 PM »
Just have to be patient..it will come soon.  I dont want to see anybody go in or worse drown. It may be ready this weekend. I will probably drill some holes on Friday some time for a accurate report at Ensinore look for the report Friday afternoon. :tipup:

Offline BearpawCNY

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Jan 28, 2014, 04:52 PM »
Al, how did your brother make out today by Bucks? I think the fish are shut down right now from the cold front that swept through and the pressure. My theory is the perch go out to deeper water. I seem to just pick a few here and there which are usually (on good days) lights out spots. If my theory holds true Thursday and on the fishing should get better again, we shall see!

Offline alfed

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Jan 28, 2014, 06:53 PM »
He struggled to find them today. He was in normally good water north of bucks. He didnt go any deeper than 25. The Barometer has been on the rise, its 30.4 now. I thinking as it warms up a bit and stabilizes the bite will come on towards the end of the week. At least I hope. Taking Friday off for a three day weekend on the ice. Come hell or high water I'm going to find them.

Offline BearpawCNY

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Jan 28, 2014, 07:39 PM »
Ok, I agree 100% with you Al. Do you normally have someone to fish with maybe we could get out sometime? Always fun to fish with someone new and exchange tips. I have a lot of access up and down Owasco and live by the Sportsmans club a mile down Rockefeller on the East side right on the lake. I'm a cash crop farmer so the winter time offers plenty of fishing time for me when I'm not cutting firewood/logging. (Thats all optional work anyway, when the fish are biting!) ;D ;D

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Jan 28, 2014, 07:57 PM »
Just have to be patient..it will come soon.  I dont want to see anybody go in or worse drown. It may be ready this weekend. I will probably drill some holes on Friday some time for a accurate report at Ensinore look for the report Friday afternoon. :tipup:
Thanks alfed. We've been waiting 3 years to hit that place and are getting ansy. We could just wait 'till the following weekend but that's the Crappie Derby here in my hometown and we haven't had that in 3 years either.  :-\  I see you're from Auburn. I went up to Bass Pro last weekend and was dissapointed that their ice fishing section was mostly sold out. Long drive to not get much. Tight lines to you.

Offline alfed

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Jan 28, 2014, 08:29 PM »
Its like that every year at Bass Pro. They stock it well in NOVEMBER then don't refill sold out items. Not as big of a selection for Ice fishing. What do they know about Ice Fishing in MO..lol They put on a pretty good derby on OWASCO or use to haven't heard anything yet this year. There should be no problem getting on in two weeks. the question is will it be okay this weekend. :tipup:

Offline eyeguy21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 28, 2014, 08:50 PM »
I asked this weekend if they planned on having a tournament and they said not this year

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Jan 29, 2014, 05:07 AM »
I asked this weekend if they planned on having a tournament and they said not this year
First time in years that we have entire lake frozen and they say no to a tournament?  >:( >:(  We did the last one that they had probably like 3 years ago and were a bit dissapointed in what they had for prizes. The payout was good for biggest fish, but hardly anything as far as door prizes. For a big store like that, you'd think they could do better than that. That's why we like the Crappie Derby here in Whitney Point. Over 10 grand in prizes and only 2 bucks entry fee.    ;D ;D

Offline alfed

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Jan 29, 2014, 05:58 AM »
The first two tournaments were great. good money and lots of prizes. I took third in the perch Division in one of the first tournaments, and came home with all kinds of stuff and money. I guess BPS feels it doesnt need to impress anyone anymore. Its apparent when you look at the unstocked shelves. With guys coming from all over the state to fish and SHOP and 2 months left for Ice fishing locally you would think they would take advantage of the opportunity. Go figure. They have put a hurt on the local bait and tackle shops...oh wait what bait and tackle shops. Maybe they will reconsider? Maybe Dicks would step in?

Offline iceman13166

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Jan 29, 2014, 06:33 AM »
Not that I'm coming up with excuses for BPS but in their defense I will say look at the last couple years.  We've had little or no safe ice unless you traveled to find it.  So when their sales are down and they have to sit on product it's just less merchandise they are going to buy for the following year.  So with 2 years of no ice naturally when they forcast for ice fishing this year they didn't know it was going to be a great year.  They were well stocked in Nov/Dec.  Once we had the first snow the shanties were flying out the door.  We've sold out of alot of stuff but you have to keep in mind we also have to get ready for a Fishing Classic that is the end of Feb beginning of March.  At least they didn't take everything down like Gander Mountain did.  I'm just saying.  If you sit around and wait for "the deals"  its all going to be gone sooner to the one who had the money and wanted to be prepared for the fishing.

Offline alfed

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Jan 29, 2014, 06:51 AM »
Waiting for deals isn't bad..but its sad you can't replace lost tackle..or even a set of auger blades in the first week of January before the season even started. Its the big box mentality. Three months ahead of a occasion. It wouldn't. Bother me if they didnt kill the Mom and Pop bait and tackle shops. There isn't one shop left in Auburn. Yes its a balancing act.

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Jan 29, 2014, 08:18 AM »
I guess we have to get our ice fishing tackle( that we figure on losing or need to replace ) in October or November? Pretty sad when you can't get what you need in mid- January. I drove 60 miles one way the other day to come home mostly empty handed.  ??? ???

Offline h2oworld

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Jan 29, 2014, 08:39 AM »
Even on a good week BPS in Auburn carries little to nothing. The fishing section in their Harrisburg store is the size of the whole store here. And the comment about the mom and pop stores is on the money. Sad that era is gone.

Offline BearpawCNY

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Jan 29, 2014, 11:11 AM »
BPS gear is terrible as well anyway, buy Cableas if you are going after their "redhead" stuff. Unless you plan on using it 5 times a year. I'm very upset with how slowly things get back stocked in as well, seems like eternity for anything to EVER come in, not in just the fishing section but the entire store. I don't even waste my time anymore unless I'm really desperate then I'll call and ask before I waste my time to see if it is in stock otherwise shop online. Spite the BPS after the first year as well, the only place I know of left locally is Bearwood Bait and Tackle in Skaneateles.

Offline alfed

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Jan 29, 2014, 12:33 PM »
Don't want to turn this into a BPS bashing thread. The hope is maybe someone from the store is listening. One size doesn't fit all. There is a lot of room for improvement. It is one of their smallest stores. But does the fisherman in New York Buy Bass Crank baits in January? or Ice Fishing jigs? My point is there is room in the store to do it well. Down size on the summer stuff until  the end of March. I thought the reason for hiring local sportmen was to match the needs of the locals hunting and fishing needs. Just a thought? back to Owasco I ran down the west side of Owasco after I was done working. I really dont like the open water straight across from Ensinore and south out in the middle. I know the current runs strong on that side but seems like it should be frozen back up by now. I think I will still drill some holes friday It may be fine on the the west side you dont have to go far to be in 150fow.

Offline BearpawCNY

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Jan 29, 2014, 06:51 PM »
Fished out front of my house near the Sportsman Club this morning on Rockefeller Rd, didn't do to well the fish didn't seem to be on the feed still. Going north of long point where I did good over the weekend will keep the updates coming, hoping for a good day tomorrow the last few have been few and far between and a lot of holes! happy fishing!!

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Jan 30, 2014, 06:23 AM »
Waiting for deals isn't bad..but its sad you can't replace lost tackle..or even a set of auger blades in the first week of January before the season even started. Its the big box mentality. Three months ahead of a occasion. It wouldn't. Bother me if they didnt kill the Mom and Pop bait and tackle shops. There isn't one shop left in Auburn. Yes its a balancing act.
I ordered 6" lazer blades from fishUSA and had them at my door yesterday for under $32. No gas on my end burned and quick. No tax or delivery charge. I'm done driving to BP

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Jan 30, 2014, 10:14 AM »
I ordered 6" lazer blades from fishUSA and had them at my door yesterday for under $32. No gas on my end burned and quick. No tax or delivery charge. I'm done driving to BP
I see you are from Syracuse. I was wondering if you have been to Gander Mt. lately and what they have left for ice gear?

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Jan 30, 2014, 01:19 PM »
Don't want to turn this into a BPS bashing thread. The hope is maybe someone from the store is listening. One size doesn't fit all. There is a lot of room for improvement. It is one of their smallest stores. But does the fisherman in New York Buy Bass Crank baits in January? or Ice Fishing jigs? My point is there is room in the store to do it well. Down size on the summer stuff until  the end of March. I thought the reason for hiring local sportmen was to match the needs of the locals hunting and fishing needs. Just a thought? back to Owasco I ran down the west side of Owasco after I was done working. I really dont like the open water straight across from Ensinore and south out in the middle. I know the current runs strong on that side but seems like it should be frozen back up by now. I think I will still drill some holes friday It may be fine on the the west side you dont have to go far to be in 150fow.
Thanks Al for checking for us. We are hoping for something this Sunday and will wait for your report.  ;D ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.