New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: owasco lake bs thread  (Read 20541 times)

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: owasco lake bs thread
« Reply #210 on: Mar 27, 2014, 06:49 AM »
Heading to owasco at 10 will post what was going on fishing north end heard the monster sunnies were esting pretty good im gonna go find out ;D :icefish:

Offline [email protected]

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #211 on: Mar 27, 2014, 08:38 AM »
Good luck hope you find em, hoping to get out on sunday up there

Offline Sneezy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #212 on: Mar 27, 2014, 09:21 AM »
Big Guy - where would you fish for sunnies on Owasco's north end and what would be your technique?  I have access between Burtis and Martens.

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #213 on: Mar 27, 2014, 04:23 PM »
I got on at the old polish home camp ....small orange dot...there were at least 15 guys out there.all perch today..a few guys did .some big sunnies..tip the dot with a spike jig agressive ;D

Offline Sneezy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #214 on: Mar 27, 2014, 11:54 PM »
At what depth water would you typically target the sunnies?

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #215 on: Mar 28, 2014, 02:08 AM »
Sneezy kind a hard to say exactly..find some good weedbeds..they could be any wheres from 5-20 fow...i. myself look for them in shallow first..then go deep ;D

Offline alfed

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #216 on: Mar 29, 2014, 03:44 PM »
Received my angler diary report today from the DEC today. It looks like the management survey leans heavy to the Salmon/trout vs the walleye by 2 to 1. I'm glad to see that. It also outlined the problems in Owasco. predatory problems from lakers and walleyes, and the beaver dam problems in the tribs. being the top two concerns. It will be interesting to see what route they take with future stocking and stream management. One thing is for sure. the beaver dams have to go.
"Can't catch'em if you are on the couch!"

Offline FishReaper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When hell freezes over, I will ice fish there too!
« Reply #217 on: Mar 29, 2014, 07:11 PM »
Anyone else out Saturday or Sunday morning, please post ice conditions? Especially interested in mid lake area for lakers. Thanks!

Offline [email protected]

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #218 on: Mar 29, 2014, 08:08 PM »
I think we have enough quality walleye populations in the area and would personally like to see the trout/ salmon program become the focus again on Owasco

Offline alfed

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #219 on: Mar 30, 2014, 06:57 AM »
The walleyes will be in Owasco for years to come. There is still a good population existing in Owasco even with a halt in walleye stocking in past years. I'm not sure natural reproduction has taken hold, but Dutch Hollow fills with spawning walleyes every spring. Spawning may be successful but the fry face many predators. I guess the way to answer that question is, how many juvenile walleyes are caught? Something to think about, how many walleyes have been caught thru the ice this past long ice season. Very few, one here one there, yet this year My buddy viewed a school of large walleyes on cam and a few solo cruisers. Owasco unlike Onieda, Otisco or the Seneca River is more a nocturnal walleye fishery. Its not impossible to catch them just unlikely. Owasco can grow trout better than any other fingerlake without lampreys, especially brown trout.  The smelt population has bounced back since the moratorium on walleye stocking, giving credibility to what the DEC biologist have been saying. I love my walleyes but not in Owasco.

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #220 on: Mar 30, 2014, 08:42 AM »
I gotta agree with the last two statements... Would much rather see better returns of bows and browns, like the old days...
I caught an eye out of there this winter. 22incher. It was fun and all but like pulling a unicorn through the ice  ;D That's about as big as we keep eyes and honestly it didn't taste good at all. Sure I could have put an over seasoned breading on it and smothered it with tarter or ketchup, would have tasted great then...

Offline alfed

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #221 on: Mar 30, 2014, 09:23 AM »
I got most of my eyes on the north end they do spawn near the pier..if u get there at the rite time of the yesr u can see. 100s of them.there are alot a eyes in owasco..on the north end...are the perch hitting on the south end or the big sunnies
Spawning at the pumphouse? really? Wonder why Dutch Hollow is closed to the first bridge, until the first Saturday in May them? The reason they are at the pumphouse wouldnt have anything to do with the Mooneyes or Alewives moving into the shallows followed by the Eyes and Lakers. Have you ever been on Owasco near or at the pumphouse at night to hear the Gulping noise? Those arent spawning noises they are feeding noises. Prior to the Walleye introduction, the Lakers did the same thing. They would push the mooneyes into a big bait swarm near the pumphouse during the day. You could literally watch this happen. First the guys at the pumphouse would catch them. then the guys just out of casting range would catch them. One big circle that would just continue for hours. Spawning no, feeding yes. The same is true for the area near Burtis Pt.

Offline FishReaper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #222 on: Mar 30, 2014, 09:54 AM »
Any ice reports after last nights rain??

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #223 on: Mar 30, 2014, 04:41 PM »
Tes ive actualy seen the eyes there they come up go down rite on the corners of the walls just last year i seen them and ive seen them st the bridge going from park to island also

Offline FishReaper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #224 on: Mar 30, 2014, 08:35 PM »
The ice at Ensinore was good today, once you get away from shore there was about 13" of good solid ice. Shoreline is getting soft, it was ok when I came off tonight, so it will be fine for Monday... but not sure what the warm temps Monday and Tuesday will do though.

As always, be careful and use your own judgement.

Oh yeah, and I caught a nice laker! probably last one of the season for me.

Offline RNsurfnturf

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #225 on: Mar 30, 2014, 11:18 PM »
Was out yesterday and today south of bucks point
kept 48 perch sat and 36 today

i am done ice fishing for the year, owasco was good to me the last couple days...shore ice is poor .....13"  i was on today...

Sometimes you have to fish when you can,
not when you want, but guess what?

You're still fishing!!!

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #226 on: Mar 31, 2014, 12:46 AM »
Take care turf msybe we will run into one another over the summer..im gonna hit owasco again i had to work over the weekend .iim on mff. Also nice sharing info with ya

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.