New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: owasco lake bs thread  (Read 20547 times)

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: owasco lake bs thread
« Reply #120 on: Feb 15, 2014, 06:43 PM »
It  would be a long drive for us to find we can't get bait when we go thru there.   :( :(  Mabe we should just wait for another time. Thanks for info.

Offline [email protected]

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #121 on: Feb 16, 2014, 03:19 PM »
I know it's too late now but Corey's bait shop is fairly new and is located by the north end on the corner of Elizabeth St and Osbourne St. I believe.  He carries fatheads and bass/pike shiners, that's what was there last week anyways.  He opens early during the week and 9 am on Sundays

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #122 on: Feb 16, 2014, 03:33 PM »
I fish Owasco about twice each winter (at least when there is ice) and have only caught lakers on tip- ups.  What do those who jig them up use?  White is usually my go- to color for open water lakers but not sure is jigging raps or other heavy jigs I have for deep water would work well.  Any info anyone is willing to share would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Offline trouter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #123 on: Feb 16, 2014, 04:08 PM »
A one ounce white or any color jig and a 3 or 4 inch white ice tube will get the job done. I like to cut i/2 inch of the head of tube off and then slide the tube over the hook so its just half way up the jig. Hold on!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #124 on: Feb 16, 2014, 04:17 PM »
awesome, thanks!

Offline trouter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #125 on: Feb 16, 2014, 04:35 PM »
Also, spread or separate  the tenacles out of the tube because sometimes they are stuck together. Good luck.

Offline FishReaper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When hell freezes over, I will ice fish there too!
« Reply #126 on: Feb 16, 2014, 08:14 PM »
Electronics are invaluable to jig lakers

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #127 on: Feb 16, 2014, 10:20 PM »
I have an older vexilar fl-8 that I don't even know if it reads up to or over 100'.  Just hoping to at least find my jig with it and see whatever else shows up even if I can't read the depth

Offline stingdave9119

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #128 on: Feb 16, 2014, 10:29 PM »
Stan I'll be out of ensenore also tomorrow.  I don't know bout the fl8 but I have the lx6  and haven't gone for Lakers before but I'll be in a flip over frabill more than welcome walk to join up

Offline krogals

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #129 on: Feb 17, 2014, 04:33 AM »
After reading back through the posts I noticed that there isn't much talk about machines, and that most people are walking.  Haven't ice fished Owasco since I was a kid and was going to head down on Thursday.  Wondering if I should leave the wheeler home or bring it along?  My access point is on the west side from poplar cove so it's not to far to the spots that I use to fish  but wheels would be nice! 

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #130 on: Feb 17, 2014, 08:04 AM »
cant wait to get down this weekend, get my wife on a good fish would be nice
Tight Lines and Flags!

Offline perch-hound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #131 on: Feb 17, 2014, 09:17 AM »
Fished Saturday off Ensinore with a bunch of guys. When I got there the sheriff had just pulled up, said if guys weren't careful with
the beers cans, whizzing, jamming up the road with thoughtless park jobs, etc, that we were going to lose the area entirely!!!!
All vehicles with tires hitting the pavement will get towed!
Be respectful of the folks that live down that road, will ya! >:(
Anyhow, the guys I was with got two lakers, and the mudpuppies were coming up high for the bait as well.
As for me, i grabbed a reel off one of my perch rods, slapped it on a jig rod, had braid on it, tied on a nice heavy jig,
dropped it down the hole, never made it to the bottom :roflmao: That's it, I'm done I said, visited with friends and
had a few beers!

Offline FishReaper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When hell freezes over, I will ice fish there too!
« Reply #132 on: Feb 17, 2014, 06:39 PM »
PLEASE KEEP IT CLEAN!!!!

Also, if everyone wrote one letter to the Town Board, thanking them for keeping this access open, and telling them how great it is and how appreciative we are.... I bet that would go a long way!!!

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #133 on: Feb 17, 2014, 06:56 PM »
We found some bait before going up Sunday. The drag out and back was a bit rough but we managed to land a few lakers for our efforts. Met a few guys from Virgil who said they only were fishing with fatheads because that's all they could find and they actually managed to land 3 lakers with them.  ::) :tipup:

Offline Ice hole77

• IceShanty Rookie
Looking for owasco lake advise
« Reply #134 on: Feb 18, 2014, 02:08 AM »
Looking to get out Friday I'd appreciate any info

Offline alfed

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #135 on: Feb 18, 2014, 07:04 AM »
As a Local I ask that WE pick up our trash, respect the property owners and do what ever it takes to keep the local land owners happy. A letter to the Scipio Board can't be a bad idea at all and I suggest it. I have received many PM's from fisherman from all over the State wanting info on Ensinore. Its a gem we take for granite. There isnt much access left on Owasco. There is plenty of ice fishing left this year, although it may be sloppy for a while with the warm up. Keep picking up your trash, stay quiet and respect the private land owners and we will have access for years to come "IF WE HAVE ICE" Thanks Guys in advance.
"Can't catch'em if you are on the couch!"

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #136 on: Feb 18, 2014, 08:26 PM »
I jigged up 3 lakers yesterday using fatheads.  After cleaning them and finding up to 5 alewives in each one's stomach I think they are feeding so voraciously they will hit about any minnow they see

Offline stingdave9119

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #137 on: Feb 18, 2014, 09:31 PM »
i was out yesterday as well out of south as i went out early and didn't find the ensenore spot and not wanting to park anywhere i shouldn't be i decided to play it safe even though a lot longer walk out. I landed 3 but they all had a completely empty stomach and wanted the biggest offering i could possibly give them.

Offline alfed

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #138 on: Feb 20, 2014, 07:01 AM »
A ATV got stuck on the northend yesterday. The paper said this morning the ATV broke thru. Actually there is a large pocket of slush that was frozen in the morning and softened durning the day. He broke thru the crust. One thing to remember there is a flow just east of the small boat launch, its the back channel. that going to be iffy from here out. We were out with Machines Saturday in the very same spot we were able to drive thru the slush. The slush was just starting to get bad. With this thaw we have to use extra caution. shore lines, pressure cracks and area with flow creek mouths will be shaky until the thaw is over.  Be safe and use caution. there is plenty of good black ice on the lake and plenty of fishing to be done yet.

Offline iceman13166

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #139 on: Feb 20, 2014, 07:35 AM »
Hey Bigguy13021 we ever gonna hook up and land some fish or what?

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #140 on: Feb 20, 2014, 08:33 AM »
headed here tomorrow afternoon, fishing sat, guess ill be wearing rubber boots  ;D
Tight Lines and Flags!

Offline mwajac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #141 on: Feb 20, 2014, 08:59 AM »
A ATV got stuck on the northend yesterday. The paper said this morning the ATV broke thru. Actually there is a large pocket of slush that was frozen in the morning and softened durning the day. He broke thru the crust. One thing to remember there is a flow just east of the small boat launch, its the back channel. that going to be iffy from here out. We were out with Machines Saturday in the very same spot we were able to drive thru the slush. The slush was just starting to get bad. With this thaw we have to use extra caution. shore lines, pressure cracks and area with flow creek mouths will be shaky until the thaw is over.  Be safe and use caution. there is plenty of good black ice on the lake and plenty of fishing to be done yet.

We measured 12"-14" black ice in 6 different locations on the N shore.  We fished from 20-26'.  That crusty slush/water was 16" deep down to the good ice.  Not pretty

Offline alfed

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #142 on: Feb 20, 2014, 04:53 PM »
I know exactly what you went thru. The same thing happened to us on Sodus 3-4 years ago. Early Morning the crust was solid. as the day warmed up so did the crust. It took us 2 hours to get back in. we broke thru every 50 yds. I have never been so exhausted from fishing. Glad to here it all turned out okay. It could happen to anybody thankfully there is plenty of ice under the slush layer. We measured 12 inches Saturday in the same area you were in. The slush wasnt frozen yet just a foot of slop for the first 500 yds. and that was tuff going.

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #143 on: Feb 21, 2014, 01:39 PM »
Iceman all you gotta do is call me...you know my rotation...I'm off this weekend but crappy conditions ill give it a shot Sunday morning if u want to....just send me a text it call

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #144 on: Feb 23, 2014, 02:38 PM »
Anyone been out

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #145 on: Feb 24, 2014, 07:02 AM »
went out this weekend, weather was beautiful, ice was slippery by afternoon it softened a bit making the walk easier sat morning seemed to be more action than sunday, with this weeks temps there should be plenty of ice for a while
Tight Lines and Flags!

Offline alfed

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #146 on: Feb 24, 2014, 07:17 AM »
the bite was good both Sat and Sunday. the crust was good in the early hours but softens fast as the day warms up. should be solid in a few days.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #147 on: Mar 02, 2014, 08:45 AM »
Does anyone know how the perch have been biting out by Buck Pt or the north end?  Thinking of heading out there this afternoon

Offline h2oworld

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #148 on: Mar 02, 2014, 10:11 AM »
If anyone at the north end found a bunch of bud-lite cans Saturday, they cam from Ensinore. I won't use the language i did on the ice, but my son and I chased down some of them as they came clanging by us. They were zipping up the lake at a high rate of speed so figured someone at Emerson would see them shortly after they came through us. I did see a guy in a different spot lose some and the poor guy raced up the lake to catch them(thank you)! The sheriff has been there at least once thid year already. I had a great conversation with the landowner next to launch and he has little use for icefishermen. He did appreciate our efforts and I told him there are many guys who do the same but unfortunately!!!!!!!!!!!! Not much access to Owasco, hate to lose what little we have. Enjoy the fishing, enjoy the beer, but take your stuff home and respect landowners!

Offline jrhsportster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #149 on: Mar 02, 2014, 09:17 PM »
I was on the south end yesterday, some of those cans came by us from guys in shallower.  I bet a few made it all the way up to you, we could't catch them all...bunch of f'*$%n pigs.  Anyway, we didnt do to hot.  Some good marks, not much interest or flags.  Ice about 12"-lots of noise.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.