New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Buffalo Union Ship Canal  (Read 22804 times)

Offline gregbishere

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Buffalo Union Ship Canal
« Reply #120 on: Feb 05, 2015, 12:39 PM »
bunch of huts out there today, any updates?

Offline Rob W

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #121 on: Feb 08, 2015, 06:39 PM »
Fished the canal entrance from 830 - ~ 130 today.  27 FOW, had ~ 12 inches of ice with snow and slush on top.  Drilled the holes and got 2 inches of water around them.  Was a surprisingly strong current taking everything to the south.  One small perch landed and nothing else.  We were seeing fish along the bottom, use a Lowrance HDS so get a good view of the water column. They were following lures even, but couldn't get them to bite on anything.  Did see one huge mark at 21 feet in 27 FOW, and saw a smelt ( we believe it was anyway) come up into my ice hole, but didn't jig any up.  Maybe next time :-\

Offline Bflowings

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #122 on: Feb 09, 2015, 06:42 PM »
We were on the Union Ship Canal Saturday.  Fished 4 tip ups and 6 poles, 2 of which we were jigging for walleyes.  Only got 1 perch on a pole and 1 perch on a tip up.  Time to head out this weekend to Sturgeon for those jumbos.  Last winter was unbelievable we got so many huge perch on Lake Erie.  Just hope the path out of Sturgeon is beaten down some for the 4 wheeler.

Offline NickVic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #123 on: Feb 10, 2015, 06:29 AM »
Fished all over the union canal from 6am till 1pm 3 dink perch one dink bass. we walked from there heading to the small boat harbor with no luck on the way. 6 inches of snow the 4 inches of slush ice thickness was great

Offline jakemanges

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #124 on: Feb 14, 2015, 06:16 PM »
this will be my first time fishing the shipping canal, which spot is usually better small boat harbor or the buffalo union ship canal?

Offline steel123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #125 on: Feb 17, 2015, 06:54 AM »
Think this walleye spot is myth.. a few may show here and there but nothing is numbers.. nothing but smelt for me.
"There's no head like steelhead".. -a wise fisherman

Offline clammule

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #126 on: Feb 28, 2015, 01:55 PM »
Fished my double secret spot at the Union Ship Canal today 7:30-1:30. Left with 11 keepers including 3 Jumbos! Not many people out and the day was bright and crisp. Ice was at lest 18" and walk wasn't bad.

Offline AON09

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #127 on: Jan 11, 2016, 01:57 PM »
Anyone check out the canal recently?

Offline dog4up7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #128 on: Jan 11, 2016, 03:30 PM »
I drove by it about an hour ago and it was ugly and almost white capping. It was skimmed over one day last week from rt.5 inland toward the big ladle. Maybe next week.

Offline AON09

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #129 on: Jan 11, 2016, 08:54 PM »
Gotcha! Thank you!

Offline BIGFISH

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #130 on: Jan 12, 2016, 03:44 PM »
  no ice what so ever like the Dog said white caps     gonna be a couple weeks        Bigfish   !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline dog4up7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #131 on: Jan 14, 2016, 04:12 PM »
The ship canal has a skim on it when I drove by this afternoon, the only daring ones out there were the seagulls 😀 they were standing and not swimming that is a good sign !

Offline outfisherman1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #132 on: Jan 20, 2016, 03:19 PM »
Still has open water. Shouldn't be much longer.

Offline dog4up7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #133 on: Jan 20, 2016, 04:13 PM »
It is interesting, from rt5 inland it has been open to the newer foot bridge until today, there is skim ice. From that foot bridge inland more toward the big ladle it has been frozen since my report of sea gulls standing on the ice. Almost a week ago. This section will be much thicker than rt5. Outward. Looked hard today still no one brave. / dumb enough to try it. Stay on top guys!!

Offline outfisherman1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #134 on: Jan 20, 2016, 04:31 PM »
It is interesting, from rt5 inland it has been open to the newer foot bridge until today, there is skim ice. From that foot bridge inland more toward the big ladle it has been frozen since my report of sea gulls standing on the ice. Almost a week ago. This section will be much thicker than rt5. Outward. Looked hard today still no one brave. / dumb enough to try it. Stay on top guys!!
It should be pretty good the furthest away from rt 5 but I want to stay dry. Lol

Offline 04toyota79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #135 on: Jan 21, 2016, 03:12 PM »
Stopped at the canal after fishing the SBH. Froze over except for the edges. Nobody out on it yet. Maybe next week. Bonus though, saw a nice 8pt buck crossing the road at the very end of the canal.

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #136 on: Jan 23, 2016, 09:16 PM »
on my way to harbor I saw 2 or 3 huts between the far back and walkway bridge. but ice still had that "wet" look closer to rt.5 bridge. i'd still spud my way around if anyone ventures in there. 1 hut was in there on way home. no word on thickness. also did see one hut not that far out, between the 2 barges on north side of old grain mills, off Gallagher beach. walk at own risk with a spud bar as I don't know the ice conditions there either. south side of mills didn't look right.
When hell freezes over, i'll be ice fishing there too!!

Offline outfisherman1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #137 on: Jan 24, 2016, 05:35 AM »
On my way home Saturday afternoon from the harbor I saw what looked to be open water just past the barges  by the grain mill. So yes be careful going out there.

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #138 on: Jan 24, 2016, 03:21 PM »
an update on grainmill area. was by again today and it opened up quite a bit since yesterday. wouldn't recommend that spot for a while. although there were still some huts on north side maybe 50 yards from shore by barges. still wouldn't go farther than that... no one in canal today

Offline Pause Game

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #139 on: Jan 24, 2016, 11:03 PM »
So far everything looks like open water. Sub'd for an update.

Offline adkmountainman1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #140 on: Jan 29, 2016, 10:08 PM »
 any new reports on union shipping canal?
Timbo

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #141 on: Jan 30, 2016, 02:49 PM »
no reports because no one wont go on it. This morning it had a not so good looking color to it and now there's either open water or a lot of water on top. entire south gap is wide open and so is part of channel between inner and outer walls. these next 4 days of warmth and wind is going to kill it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.