New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Mud Puppy??  (Read 3679 times)

Offline sneekybobber

• IceShanty Rookie
Mud Puppy??
« on: Mar 06, 2011, 06:44 PM »
I caught a mud puppy in 22' of water on Oneida yesterday.  What are these things.  Are they bad - should they be left on the ice for a seagul or a fox?

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
Re: Mud Puppy??
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2011, 06:49 PM »

they are native and should be put back unharmed . i do not belive in throwing anything on the ice for the gulls to eat  :tipup:

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2011, 07:00 PM »
gobies!
It'll eat.

Offline sneekybobber

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2011, 07:17 PM »
This guy had legs and was around 16" long - not a gobie

Offline EarlyIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2011, 07:25 PM »
From last year I think. 35fow

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2011, 07:33 PM »
gobies!
they're a different story all together , invasive non native and destructive .

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2011, 07:41 PM »
those mudpuppies are some weird little critters put them on the ice chances are they will find a hole. I always set them free but I did run into a guy who really disliked them for some reason. Those gobies aren't so bad... Lake Erie has shown a marked increase in fish size (walleye,smallmouth, and perch) due to them now focusing on gobies for food. They are a pain and there was a time a few years ago where they did ask you to kill them all, but the guys I spoke to in Dunkirk after a trip last year said they are a great addition to the food supply. Not sure if the DEC still asks for them to be killed but the biologist I spoke to didn't thikn it was needed.

Offline Barebow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always fishing for something!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2011, 07:46 PM »
I believe in New York they are a protected species and are endangered....Barebow

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2011, 07:50 PM »
those mudpuppies are some weird little critters put them on the ice chances are they will find a hole. I always set them free but I did run into a guy who really disliked them for some reason. Those gobies aren't so bad... Lake Erie has shown a marked increase in fish size (walleye,smallmouth, and perch) due to them now focusing on gobies for food. They are a pain and there was a time a few years ago where they did ask you to kill them all, but the guys I spoke to in Dunkirk after a trip last year said they are a great addition to the food supply. Not sure if the DEC still asks for them to be killed but the biologist I spoke to didn't thikn it was needed.
  im no expert , but i do belive it is a short term boom . they feed heavily on eggs and young fry . it is true that they are easy pickins for adult fish but in the long run i think it will hurt the fisherys . i hope im wrong  :(

Offline IceEyes

• IceShanty Rookie
  • USAF Veteran
« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2011, 08:00 PM »
They are aquatic salamanders, mudpuppy are also called waterdogs.
 The mudpuppy diet consists of small fish and many invertebrates, including crayfish, snails, and worms.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline Chainsaw

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2011, 11:23 PM »
They are PROTECTED and not a problem in our fishing. Put them back down the hole and raise your bait 2or 3 more inches. Don't use 'em for bait either. They are unique creatures and a good health indicator in any body of water they inhabit.

You might try keeping one or two in an aquarium for observation..., but don't get caught by EnCon. They are rather interesting to watch.
All folks follow Chainsaws first law of diminishing enthusiasm, "Ya just hafta want to do some things more than others."

Offline NNYIceangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 07, 2011, 02:06 PM »
The gobies dont seem to be a problem in the Great lakes system....YET.  Maybe they wont hurt but maybe they will, but one thing is for sure....they will be detrimental to any new body of water that they are introduced to.  Please follow the rules on cleaning your boat hulls and making sure there is no cross contamination, we need to do our best to protect our own fisheries.

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 07, 2011, 05:13 PM »
Every goby I catch I bounce the fruckin thing off the top of my boat motor and watch it float away
It'll eat.

Offline chevy rotbox

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 10, 2011, 06:25 PM »
I also caught one about 15inches on Sandy Pond two weeks ago. :sick:
retired let the fishing begin

Offline slabspanker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • i sell wood and wood products
« Reply #14 on: Mar 11, 2011, 06:33 AM »
Every goby I catch I bounce the fruckin thing off the top of my boat motor and watch it float away
Chief i have seen that firsthand on boats i've been on. one less goby will hurt no one  ::)
wood is good

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 11, 2011, 08:43 AM »
they're a different story all together , invasive non native and destructive .

In NY they are considered amphibians and are therefore protected under Encon law. I looked it up the first time I caught one a few years ago in the "Dead Sea".

Offline FROZENGOOSE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 11, 2011, 08:52 AM »
 i cacth them when iam snorakling for crawfish at the thousand island and let them go very carefully, realy cool little bugers
just for the fun of it, let them go haddeck taste better

Offline Huntyeraws

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hey! You got a flag!
« Reply #17 on: Mar 11, 2011, 09:26 AM »
My 11 year old caught a few mudpuppies one night at a walleye spot this past winter.  Before we went fishing, I told him it wasn't unusual to catch one while ice fishing there.  I told him that about 20 years ago, I caught one through the ice and kept it for a pet for almost a year before releasing it.   That sucker would just inhale perch minnows and nightcrawlers in a fraction of a second.  It was really cool!  ;DHere is one of three that my boy caught.  His big hand is next to it.

Usually, they just suck in part of a bass shiner and hold onto it but this one inhaled it.  Here is a video of one going back down the hole via lantern light http://www.facebook.com/v/1859407211676- this one still had hook and shiner in it's mouth - I cut the line as close to it's mouth as possible before releasing it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.