New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Honeoye Lake  (Read 22861 times)

Offline jkowal

• IceShanty Rookie
Honeoye Lake
« on: Dec 31, 2009, 08:16 AM »
Tournament this weekend out of boat launch 7am, what is the fishing like there?

Offline devo

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Honeoye Lake
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2009, 08:18 AM »
that lake can be "Hit or miss".
-Voted most likely to get hurt 2010
-Secret Agent Man
-2013 Icemasters "Ironman" Angler of the year
-NY State Record Drum boat Captain, 2014-2016
-"Worst crew in all of drag racing” 2003

Offline DAN1681

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2009, 08:19 AM »
The reports and conditions page should get you up to speed: http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=13692.140
Good Luck!

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2010, 10:58 PM »
Fished her today,5-6" solid ice. 2 rock bass,6 LM bass & a lot of dink gills. Had a BIG northern attack my aqua-view camera 5 times.wish i could have recorded it.   Looking for big gills & perch. Any advice on where to start looking?

Offline Professor Finessor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2010, 11:31 PM »
Sandy bottoms....north end....weeds......wall eye's.......easy access......less crowds.....    8)
If I wanted to remember something stupid like that,.......... I'd have to forget something intelligent...!

Offline beni

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2010, 02:49 PM »
Im new here would like to go tommrow. whare ie the marina everyone is talking about.

Offline Grady95

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Stay Sharp, Be Safe
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2010, 03:48 PM »
The marina is on the east side about a mile down.  It's called Trident.  It's easy to find.
Stay Sharp, Be Safe
Grady

Offline Lost Kangaroo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2010, 03:53 PM »
I am an Australian (hence the screen name...) I had my first ever ice fishing experience at Honeoye (thanks Dan!!) and have been hooked ever since. I love the lake, but as has been said already, it really is hit or miss...my first time was miss, but it didn't stop me :)
I hear talk of good pickerel and a eye or two every now and then.

Sean.

Offline ICEMAN73

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2010, 04:51 PM »
I am an Australian (hence the screen name...) I had my first ever ice fishing experience at Honeoye (thanks Dan!!) and have been hooked ever since. I love the lake, but as has been said already, it really is hit or miss...my first time was miss, but it didn't stop me :)
I hear talk of good pickerel and a eye or two every now and then.

Sean.
Can you ice fish "down under" during your winter (our summer)?
Thanks

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2010, 08:00 AM »
Sandy bottoms....north end....weeds......wall eye's.......easy access......less crowds.....    8)

Not anymore......... :-\

Offline fishingpaul

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2010, 08:43 AM »
ive fished this lake for a few years now and ive noticed a pattern about every two years the blugills and crappie are monsters i mean absolute giants most of the time we catch them late in the ice season i mean really late liek last ice on the east side down about 500 yards if you can get there 12 -14 fow with minnows and plain grey round ball jigs but in the off years everything is dinks if you notice in the summer months the lake gets fished really hard almost to hard
Keep your worm in the water and your eye on the prize.

Offline Norman Schrader

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born to fish
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2010, 10:23 PM »
My family has had a cottage on the lake since 1933 and I have been going to the lake since I was born (1957).  In that time there have been several major changes and lots of minor ones that have affected the fishery.  A lot of folks are talking about it on the "Conditions and Reports" board but I think this is a better spot for the discussion.
Back when I started ice fishing in the 60's and through the 70's, we used to catch tons of perch 7-10 inches and the weedline was well defined at about 10 ft.  Walleye were being caught deep for the most part and pickeral were very prevalent in the weeds. Most everyone I know or saw took just about every perch caught and left the small ones on the ice. I don't remember many bluegill catches being big at that time, but that could just be where I was fishing and what I was using.
In 1979, sewers were put in around the lake. This caused the 1st major change that I remember as the water cleared up and the weed line moved out to about 14 ft.  Also, the perch fishing slowed and I heard about alewife being found in the lake. Fishing equipment started to improve  also and depth finders became more advanced.  Using a paper graph and a flasher, I located a number of underwater structures during the summer, which I found also held fish in the winter and I started to catch more bass, walleye, and bluegill ice fishing.
In 1995-96 another major change happened as there was a massive die-off of the alewife.  The ice was littered with them.  There was also a massive die-off of weeds that year.  I was able to find small patches of weeds on some of the underwater structures I found, and had one of my best years ever on big gills fishing those spots.
The next major change came around 2002 with the zebra mussel. The water cleared up and the weed line moved out to 18-20 ft.  I also started catching lots more bass ice fishing then.  Now it also is evident that somebody has introduced Northern pike into the lake.
My main reason for going through this is to illustrate that the lake is very dynamic and we have to adapt to it, as it will not adapt to us.
I hope others will share their observations and hopefully we can all learn  from it without anyone being offended or insulting anyone else.  Let's keep the Reports board for the reports.
Good luck.
Norm
Norman J. Schrader

Offline Professor Finessor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2010, 10:36 PM »
 8) 8) 8) very well said ....and nicely put...Thanx   8) 8) 8)
If I wanted to remember something stupid like that,.......... I'd have to forget something intelligent...!

Offline pikehunter14580

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2010, 01:09 AM »
well put it is always changing thats why it is called fishing!! ;D

Offline mrlongbeard1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flags up and rods bent...
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2010, 01:13 AM »
Nice report! A long time obsevation is a valued tool .
When the ice is on. I'm on the ice.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Jan 14, 2010, 03:27 AM »
Well Norm, I for one am offended. You've just proved you know more about your home water than I do.

You have just hit the nail square and drove it home.  Fishermen need to adapt. I dare say that most waters I fish...year round....change frequently. If you're a stream fisherman, you know that the stream flushes each spring and a few times throughout the year. The pools and eddys change. It's basically the same. but with subtle differences.

Lakes, especially smaller lakes like Honeoye, change too. Yearly temperature changes, rainfall and available sunlight can affect weed growth and, conversely, fish  reproduction and feeding areas. The changes can be dramatic or very subtle....but....there's always a change. The word DYNAMIC is accurate.

I'll be down there tomorrow morning testing my ability to adapt ;D

Thanks Norm. Local insight is more valuable than a jig collection.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Lost Kangaroo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 14, 2010, 07:19 AM »
No ice in Oz....some snow in a very few select places for a very short time.
I have fished my whole life, took 40 years to find my favourite type!!

Offline Fisher Pol

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 14, 2010, 07:26 AM »
Norm,

Very well said.  The fish are there and so are we.  It is still always fun to be out.

Offline deebsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 14, 2010, 08:18 AM »
No No No...Keep doing and fishing like you have been for the last 10 years ::), ::).  The whole enviroment is changing everywhere, we need to adapt.  Thank you Norm for your post  :bow:, you know this lake very very well.  It is funny you  posted that I was just talking to and older friend over the weekend about Honeoye and he was saying about the same exact stuff.....If I just could get my hands on his journal.
;

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 14, 2010, 08:28 AM »
Norm is 100% correct.  If you don't change with the times, you are going to be left behind.  I have found that this lake changes more than any other lake I fish.  The pike issue, they could be getting in there other ways other than people dumping them in.  Honeoye Creek ( which has a pike population) dumps into the Genesee River.  The Genesee River has a decent pike population also.  Nothing stopping pike from getting into the lake for years. 

Offline Norman Schrader

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born to fish
« Reply #20 on: Jan 14, 2010, 10:54 AM »
Norm is 100% correct.  If you don't change with the times, you are going to be left behind.  I have found that this lake changes more than any other lake I fish.  The pike issue, they could be getting in there other ways other than people dumping them in.  Honeoye Creek ( which has a pike population) dumps into the Genesee River.  The Genesee River has a decent pike population also.  Nothing stopping pike from getting into the lake for years. 
Hi Gambell,
Good to hear from you. Hopefully we can fish together sometime this year.
I don't think the pike came from Honeoye Creek for several reasons.  The pike population in the creek is near the Genesee.  Between there and the lake you have the dam at Rush and Honeoye Falls which are pretty formidible barriers. Another reason is I talked to a business owner in the area a few years ago.  He said that one of his more "backwoodsy" customers admitted to him that he caught a bunch of pike at Conesus and threw them in the lake because he was tired of catching small panfish and wanted to clean them up.  I couldn't get a name from him however.
Good luck.
Norm
Norman J. Schrader

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 14, 2010, 11:00 AM »
Hey Norm.  I might be on Honeoye Sunday.  If I'm in your area, I will let you know.  I have a buddy that has caught pike on both sides of that dam.   I do believe some of it is from boneheaded bucket biologists.  I might rig one tip up with dead bait next time I'm at Honeoye  ;D.  

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 14, 2010, 11:09 AM »
Another reason Honeoye is tough is because a lot guys fish the close to the major public access areas of the lake that get hammered all season.  Get away from the crowds ( and the well trained fish) and you will find active fish.  If you drive down the lake, you seen crowdes of people off of the 3 major public access spots (Trident, Sandy Bottom Beach, and the South end boat launch).  Look at rest of the lake and there are a few (and I mean a few) guys in all the rest of the lake. 

Offline FishinFoool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 14, 2010, 04:32 PM »
hey Norm ,hey Gambell, I agree about what you guys are saying about the lake.It is my favarite lake to ice fish,but sometimes it realy humbles me .lol      Those fish dont get that big being stupid. lol   >*{{{<         will be there friday, maybe?  well see ;D
maybe sunday.  but good luck to you guys hope I see you out
.Ch.7 on radio   right norm? will call.

T
                                                                 "The FishinFoool" :tipup:_________________tight lines!
steve plum can't stop fishin!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #24 on: Jan 14, 2010, 05:34 PM »
hey Norm ,hey Gambell, I agree about what you guys are saying about the lake.It is my favarite lake to ice fish,but sometimes it realy humbles me .lol      Those fish dont get that big being stupid. lol   >*{{{<         will be there friday, maybe?  well see ;D
maybe sunday.  but good luck to you guys hope I see you out
.Ch.7 on radio   right norm? will call.

T
                                                                 "The FishinFoool" :tipup:_________________tight lines!

I guess that theory doesn't apply to people.  ;D ;D
Pete Lewis

Offline Hunter44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 15, 2010, 08:05 AM »
hey norm thank for the great report

Offline Hunter44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 15, 2010, 08:09 AM »
Sorry Gambell thank you and the rest of guys for your reports

Offline Overly Hackled

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 15, 2010, 11:17 AM »
Another reason Honeoye is tough is because a lot guys fish the close to the major public access areas of the lake that get hammered all season.  Get away from the crowds ( and the well trained fish) and you will find active fish.  If you drive down the lake, you seen crowdes of people off of the 3 major public access spots (Trident, Sandy Bottom Beach, and the South end boat launch).  Look at rest of the lake and there are a few (and I mean a few) guys in all the rest of the lake. 

Roger Copy.
If ya need more access spots, during then on ice fishing season knock on a few doors with some of last seasons venison ,or jerky or Moms apple pie   and  a six pack of pop or beer and introduce yourself. Access is only an issue because some folks abuse the privilege. There are a lot of good folks that if you ask em and are respectful will let you on the lake and you can get away from the crowd and over fish.
Your Pal >>>>>>>> Overly Hackled

"Sic Vis Pacum,Para Bellum"

If You Want Peace,Prepare For War"......

Offline FishinFoool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 16, 2010, 11:06 AM »
Pete I fished just north of California ranch yesterday and was in a spot that was NOT heavily fished and gut a bunch of dink perch, so I went to coneseous for an hour or so to get some better action.   IT WORKED!!!

"The FishinFoool" :tipup:______________tight lines!
steve plum can't stop fishin!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 16, 2010, 01:32 PM »
Pete I fished just north of California ranch yesterday and was in a spot that was NOT heavily fished and gut a bunch of dink perch, so I went to coneseous for an hour or so to get some better action.   IT WORKED!!!

"The FishinFoool" :tipup:______________tight lines!

Steve, sorry we haven't got together yet this year. My Honeoye experiences have been spotty at best after that first week. Conesus does have a ton of 7-8 1/2" 'Gills though. I'm actually heading South (where it has been cold since you left there) next week. Let's hope things cool down up here as ice is going as we speak. Cya....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.