Author Topic: First time sled buyer  (Read 4387 times)

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
First time sled buyer
« on: Sep 28, 2014, 10:51 PM »
I have been looking to get a decent sled strictly for ice fishing. I have been searching CL and there are several options in my price range... Here is the problem... I don't have ANY knowledge about them as far as good/bad or sleds that parts aren't available for anymore. I have narrowed it down to primarily two, both are 10 years old and appear to be in good condition by the photos. One is a 550 polaris and the other is a arctic cat 600. Give it to me straight as far as what to look for and possible design flaws that either may have. Thanks in advance!!!

Offline revpilot

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: First time sled buyer
« Reply #1 on: Sep 28, 2014, 11:24 PM »
check compression/ get under it and look for tunnel damage/Go over a/arms front suspension and look for any damage are just a few things to ck

Im assuming the AC is liquid cooled being a 600, but the Polaris could be either fan or liquid at 550.    Fan cooled will be better for ice fishing with not a ton of snow on ice compared to the liquid cooled, unless you want to add scratchers.  I use mine strictly for ice fishing so I looked for a fan cooled which works better for my area, but if you don't lack snow either would work great.

If its a Polaris 550 fan and around 10yrs old i would google about the Polaris 550 fan form those years, I  know they had a oil problem and a lot of people were burning up cylinders,   Stueuben1 from the IND board had that problem along with 1000 other guys, theres a update to do on them so keep that in mind.....

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 29, 2014, 08:45 AM »
Thanks for the information!!! Im going to check them out this week and knew I would be able to get some good info from the IS community.

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Sep 29, 2014, 12:17 PM »
If its a Polaris 550 fan and around 10yrs old i would google about the Polaris 550 fan form those years, I  know they had a oil problem and a lot of people were burning up cylinders,   Stueuben1 from the IND board had that problem along with 1000 other guys, theres a update to do on them so keep that in mind.....
I think it was the muffler was too close to one of the cylinders causing it to get hot and burn up.

Definitely do a Google search on any sled you plan to look at, that will give you an idea of common problems with them.

I'll give 3 quick recommendations... Fan cooled, long track, reverse.

I have a 97 Bearcat 340 strictly for ice fishing and I love it... cheap, reliable, and does everything I need it to do.  Unless you plan to pull heavy loads through slush or deep snow, don't get fooled into thinking you need a big snowmobile.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 29, 2014, 07:50 PM »
What would you actually consider big???

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 02, 2014, 02:25 PM »
I should replace the word "big" with "powerful" AKA liquid cooled.  I've had a lot of people tell me I NEED a 500 liquid or bigger to use for fishing because anything smaller doesn't have enough power.

My personal opinion is a 440 fan is the perfect size for ice fishing as long as it has a long track under it and is geared low.

Offline Sodusitous

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That hole ain't gonna drill it's self !
« Reply #6 on: Oct 02, 2014, 03:35 PM »
Unless you're using the sled to drag out a permanent shack, you would be fine with a 500 fan. I can pull a loaded up 2 man flip while carrying a passenger. I seldom exceed 25 - 30 mph because I am towing a flip and excess speed is tough on the hitch and the shanty tub even with hyfax.

A fan sled will handle bare ice better than a liquid cooled model because it requires only enough liquid to lube the sliders. Liquid cooled sleds require snow/moisture to cool the motor as well as lubing the sliders. just sayin....

A couple things  I would look for in a ice fishing sled are reverse, reverse and you might want to consider getting one with reverse.

and now you have my.02
"More is lost to indecision than wrong decision"

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 02, 2014, 07:31 PM »
Unless you're using the sled to drag out a permanent shack, you would be fine with a 500 fan. I can pull a loaded up 2 man flip while carrying a passenger. I seldom exceed 25 - 30 mph because I am towing a flip and excess speed is tough on the hitch and the shanty tub even with hyfax.

A fan sled will handle bare ice better than a liquid cooled model because it requires only enough liquid to lube the sliders. Liquid cooled sleds require snow/moisture to cool the motor as well as lubing the sliders. just sayin....

A couple things  I would look for in a ice fishing sled are reverse, reverse and you might want to consider getting one with reverse.

and now you have my.02

This, and one that can back up. ;D

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 02, 2014, 08:14 PM »
Love my 2001 Artic Cat Panther 440 fan 2up.  I use it 90% for ice fishing.  I bought it a couple years ago in good shape except the the cylinders were scored and needed to be replaced.  Fan cooled sleds are simpler (have less systems to break) so are less likely (does not mean they will not because they will) to break down. 

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 02, 2014, 08:21 PM »
I have a artic Cat 500 snow pro its water cooled and has reverse that's a good option also
Never to many short poles

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 02, 2014, 08:43 PM »
I bought mine off Craigslist in desmoines
Never to many short poles

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 03, 2014, 03:58 PM »
Apparently they were both good sleds.... They were both sold. Lol just my luck!!! Thanks for all the good tips/advice/comments.

Offline Harpz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Oct 18, 2014, 10:54 PM »
I was in your shoes a month ago... I pulled the trigger on a 99 Polaris Trail Touring 2up... from what I've been hearing, these sleds are bullet proof. I took a buddy who knows all about sleds with me when I went to buy. My 99 only has 2700 miles on it and was in immaculate condition. I can't wait to take it out. Good luck in your search.
Harpz

Offline stpaulslouch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Oct 19, 2014, 09:11 PM »
I was in your shoes a month ago... I pulled the trigger on a 99 Polaris Trail Touring 2up... from what I've been hearing, these sleds are bullet proof. I took a buddy who knows all about sleds with me when I went to buy. My 99 only has 2700 miles on it and was in immaculate condition. I can't wait to take it out. Good luck in your search.

X2, I was there 3 months ago and ended up with a 1997 Polaris Trail Touring with very low miles.  I hope what you say about these sleds is true!

Offline big-brother

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • bring on the ice!
« Reply #14 on: Oct 20, 2014, 08:00 PM »
X2, I was there 3 months ago and ended up with a 1997 Polaris Trail Touring with very low miles.  I hope what you say about these sleds is true!
You'll love it!  Very reliable machines.

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 01, 2014, 05:39 PM »
Depending on the annual snowfall, I'd go with a fan if you fish in an area with light snowfall.  I use to fish with a 500cc fan Arctic Cat Cougar.  It had just enough creature comforts with no electric start and reverse.  It had plenty of power to pull my large Otter sled with all my gear.  It was an awesome sled and was very reliable.  I upgraded it to an Arctic Cat Pantera last year which has a 136" track.  This goes great in the sloppy stuff.  Keep checking Craigslist there are a lot of good sleds out there.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 01, 2014, 10:16 PM »
Those Polaris Trail sleds, 488 Fuji motors, they are tuff. Said to be the best motor polaris ever used. I have a 95 indy classic with 12,000 miles, it can sit for months, 1/2 choke starts on 1st pull.
It must be something in the water.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Nov 04, 2014, 10:46 AM »

I have a '99 Poo Touring. It's like riding a couch in your living room.  Cush ride, grip and throttle heaters, Tall w-sheild so no brain freeze. Reverse.'Lectric start. Cadillac of ice sleds!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #18 on: Nov 06, 2014, 02:27 PM »
what about carbs vs fuel injection as far as reliability. Any difference when the temps drop? thanks

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Nov 07, 2014, 09:15 AM »
Have not experienced injected sleds but Have experienced more problems when the temps get WARMER vs. Colder-

If the machine is tuned and jetted properly carbs should not be an issue. They are designed to run in very cold temps.

The big issue is poor maintainence such as old gas, dirty carbs, neglect.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 07, 2014, 08:52 PM »
Polaris had problems with EFI sleds in the 90's. If I remember right when the battery dies you were SOL cause the battery would electronically cycle the fuel pump when turning on the key. If the battery didn't have the voltage to cycle the pump, you couldn't even pull start it. Not sure about newer EFI sleds though. I'd also stay away from anything with 3 cylinders. JMO.
It must be something in the water.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.