Author Topic: atv 2x4 will it work on ice?  (Read 7147 times)

Offline MDeppe

• IceShanty Rookie
atv 2x4 will it work on ice?
« on: Jan 19, 2014, 12:51 PM »
A friend of mine has a Honda four wheeler for sale but it is two wheel drive, runs very well but, I want it for ice fishing.  I know 4x4 bound to be better but the price on this unit is very good and know my friend takes great care of all of his things.  Will it work or wasting my time?

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
Re: atv 2x4 will it work on ice?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2014, 12:54 PM »
It all depends on Mother Nature.  If you have a fair bit of snow, even a 2x4 with chains may struggle.  Up to about a foot of light snow you'll be okay, after that, chains for sure and help on speed dial.

Offline harry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2014, 12:56 PM »
Most times just rear drive is fine if slick ice maybe some chains but i studded a set of tires red neck style and no problems.  Biggest stopper is deep snow abd if it's a commonly fished local there will be a beaten path any how. I say good deal go for it. You'll find many uses for the bike. I actually down sized to small machine for maneuverability.
Also known as Bailey or Bailey63

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2014, 01:38 PM »
I only buy 4x4's. With that said for many years I used my Big Red 3 wheeler. It served it's purpose for many years. I will also add that many times I never had a need to engage 4x4. If the 4 wheeler you are looking at is sound mechanically, and you can get it for a Good price I would say go for it.

You may have to dodge a few drifts and pull your house by hand from time to time, but that's part of a two wheel drive in the snow. A set of chains will come in handy. Good luck!

WS

Offline SKAMPO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2014, 04:49 PM »
It's the same concept as a 2x4 truck, a little common sense will take you a long ways. Lot's of guys drive 2wd trucks in the winter and get around just fine, are they the guys busting trails in 2' of snow... no, but they get where they need to go.

Chain that bad boy up and choose the paths of least resistance.

Offline augergas

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2014, 02:42 PM »
Cut down a good set of pickup chains and you'll get around just fine until the snow gets really deep.

Offline themooser98

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2014, 03:46 PM »
Neighbor had a 2X4 Honda and when lake was glare ice he couldn't turn or steer. Had to get off and point wheeler in the direction he wanted to go. Put some ice studs in the front tires and had big improvement!
Ya shoulda bin here yesterday!!!!!

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2014, 05:07 PM »
Used a honda 2wheel drive for years till I got the 4wheel drive one worked good unless u got a lot of snow. Chains or studs will greatly improve it.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2014, 05:30 PM »
How about strapping some skies to the front WHEELS?

Offline feklar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2014, 10:35 PM »
They are terrible, sell it to me and I'll use it.

Offline scottperchguy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • dont drink and drive, you might spill your beer
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2014, 10:19 PM »
How about strapping some skies to the front WHEELS?
I was thinkin the very same I notice on my 86 Honda trx200sx 2x4 once my front tire drop into the snow and  no longer  float n top I get stuck im running it in 2 ft of snow now with a slight crust. ide say buy it
a bad day ice fishing is still better then a good day at work.

Offline boxcar

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • RETIRED!!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2014, 07:24 PM »
As stated above, I had a 86 honda 2x4 that I used for many years. Put chains on it and you'll be fine. I liked mine becaused it had a kick start. Didn't have to worry about a dead battery.

Offline scottperchguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2014, 07:32 PM »
As stated above, I had a 86 honda 2x4 that I used for many years. Put chains on it and you'll be fine. I like mine becaused it hat kick start. Didn't have to worry about a dead battery.
mine only has pullstart the starter is done but it does the job

Offline scottperchguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2014, 05:24 PM »
I got skis on my 86trx200sx today. Works awsome picture soon

Offline scottperchguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2014, 09:46 PM »
heres what I was talkin about fellas it works surprisingly well not so good on roads http://s324.photobucket.com/user/Scott_Dowdall/media/20140124_144640_zpse6993a9f.jpg.html?filters[user]=139040639&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

Offline fishondwan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2014, 10:28 AM »
Buy a cheap used snowmobile, unless your in an area that rarely gets snow.

Four wheelers work until the snow gets deep..... and then they don't... Been there done that, wasted a bunch of fishing time trying to get them un-stuck..  >:(

P.S. Snowmobiles will travel across open water, quads don't, however they do float...... upside down.  :o

Not trying to talk you guys out of anything, just looking back on past experiences.

There's an old man that uses a John deere lawn tractor for transportation on a lake I fish until the snow gets too deep.  It's slow but it beats walking !
JEZYNOWKA !

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2014, 04:20 PM »
heres what I was talkin about fellas it works surprisingly well not so good on roads http://s324.photobucket.com/user/Scott_Dowdall/media/20140124_144640_zpse6993a9f.jpg.html?filters[user]=139040639&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

Gonna need more information on those, are they ski's from a scout? Or is that something people really sell, i'm looking to get into a quad this year and those would be perfect if I got to deal with a bunch of snow.

Offline scottperchguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 31, 2014, 11:06 PM »
Gonna need more information on those, are they ski's from a scout? Or is that something people really sell, i'm looking to get into a quad this year and those would be perfect if I got to deal with a bunch of snow.
these are just simple ski skins from kimpex drilled some holes so I could use bungees until I built a better system

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 08, 2014, 02:11 PM »
these are just simple ski skins from kimpex drilled some holes so I could use bungees until I built a better system

Mine is a 2x4, 4x4. I can turn the 4x4 off. It works well, in 2x4, until you get just glare ice or deep snow. So, I got tracks. Goes anywhere now!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.