Author Topic: chains for quad  (Read 2813 times)

Offline chuckrudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
chains for quad
« on: Aug 18, 2013, 05:56 PM »
I want to put chains on the quad this year.  Best place to buy any ideas :tipup: :icefish:

Offline staggerin

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: chains for quad
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18, 2013, 08:25 PM »
We made some for my buddies quad. The are not the best but they work nice.
Look at me I can walk on water

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Aug 18, 2013, 08:32 PM »
Lot of good places but think mine came from Cabelas 2 yrs ago for $50 and had the ice bars.  Google it and pick what you'd  like.  Check for the heavier weighted ones.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #3 on: Aug 19, 2013, 03:03 AM »
There are all kinds of chains available for ATVs.  From the "cheapie" 4-link (that's a cross tread link on every 4th side chain link) to some nice, smooth running 2-link chains and then into some specialty designs that are really rugged.  Really depends on what you want to spend.  I like the 2-link chains myself for on the ice.
I had put my own together from several sets I picked up at yard sales.  Worked out very well.

Offline bigZin315

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Sep 02, 2013, 05:28 PM »
got a wheeler with a locker last year didnt need chains it towed my permy across the lake and was plowing snow the whole way never had an issue....not even on glare ice the yamaha grizzly is the way to go im my opinion
It's not that fishing is so important, it's just that so many things in life are so much less important

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 02, 2013, 06:43 PM »
got a wheeler with a locker last year didnt need chains it towed my permy across the lake and was plowing snow the whole way never had an issue....not even on glare ice the yamaha grizzly is the way to go im my opinion

Same here. I haven't had any problems getting around on my Grizzly, and I still am using the stock tires. That locking hub makes a HUGE difference.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #6 on: Nov 09, 2013, 08:05 PM »
I have chains on the back of my artic cat as we have miles of bare ice out here.   I measured my tires, went to walmart and bought some light truck tire chains.   I got out the bolt cutters and cut the chains to proper length. Done deal, will never wear out those chains, about $50
Thread killer

Offline augergas

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 14, 2013, 09:24 AM »
I have chains on the back of my artic cat as we have miles of bare ice out here.   I measured my tires, went to walmart and bought some light truck tire chains.   I got out the bolt cutters and cut the chains to proper length. Done deal, will never wear out those chains, about $50

This is the best way to go IMO. If you can come up with some full sized pickup chains and cut them down with a grinder or bolt cutter, they work much better than those light chains you buy for ATV's. I've made quite a few sets this way. A couple problem I've run into, some ATV tire profiles just won't work with vehicle tire chains (big, round tires like on the back of older Sportsman or really wide tires) and the struts on the front of older Polaris ATV's won't allow you to run chains at all on front.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #8 on: Nov 14, 2013, 09:54 AM »
This is the best way to go IMO. If you can come up with some full sized pickup chains and cut them down with a grinder or bolt cutter, they work much better than those light chains you buy for ATV's. I've made quite a few sets this way. A couple problem I've run into, some ATV tire profiles just won't work with vehicle tire chains (big, round tires like on the back of older Sportsman or really wide tires) and the struts on the front of older Polaris ATV's won't allow you to run chains at all on front.

There are some very high quality chains available for ATVs.  Even the new Polaris models, with struts up front, have clearance issues.
Don't get me wrong.  I have done exactly as you have indicated, using garage sale purchases.  Lot's of work and worthwhile if you don't have, or want to spend, the cash.

Just an example.

Offline marapoint

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2013, 06:40 AM »
I have a set of "Twist Link" for my Artic Cat.  Have considered Diamond, though simply for the ease of install when caught out on large patches of glare ice. (I always carry mine - cause I have a tendency to find problems.............. .lol)

Question: Is there any noticeable difference between the 2 when running? Will the Diamond relieve the drag I find with the Twist (Twist digging in especially late in the season).

bobby
"Is anybody alive out there"
The Boss, Bruce Springsteen

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #10 on: Nov 15, 2013, 07:11 AM »
Never ran the diamond but I doubt there would be much difference in the "drag".  I have run ice screws though and I can say, they do not cause the same drag effect that chains do.   @)  And they are nearly as good in all conditions and better on hard ice than chains.  I installed a LOT of them.  Never lost one either.

Offline marapoint

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 15, 2013, 08:16 AM »
Thanks FishForPike for the Pic.
I can see the bite of those screws - looking a the bottom of the tire in the Pic.
That may be a better way for me. I trailer the bike to the ice, so no issues there - and it eliminates screwing around putting chains on when the winds rip and the snow cover disappears.
+ I'm old.............lol
Thanks for posting up,
bobby

Offline marapoint

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 15, 2013, 08:29 AM »
After seeing FishForPike's Pic I dug into MaxiStuds website.
Low and behold...............g uess what:

Ontario Prohibited, except for Aluminum studs permitted in Northern Ontario fromOct. 1st to Apr. 30th

Every other Province in Canada permits them - except the one I live in ??? - Unless I live in Northern Ontario - where ever that is......... >:(

Good discussion though - Thanks to all incl the OP for starting the thread.

bobby

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #13 on: Nov 15, 2013, 09:40 AM »
That is for all uses?  Including on the ICE, or just on the roads.  I am aware of the reg, living one mile from southern Ontario and making several trips over there in my vehicle.  Did not think it would apply to use on a frozen lake.  I think the reg is in place to save tearing up the road surfaces.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #14 on: Nov 15, 2013, 03:10 PM »
Yep, can't use them on roads in the southern half of the province, on ice no problem.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #15 on: Nov 15, 2013, 06:34 PM »
This is where I got mine.  They have held up very well and show very little signs of wearing.  I use them on trails in the winter as well as on the ice for fishing, and some plowing.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #16 on: Nov 15, 2013, 08:59 PM »
This is where I got mine.  They have held up very well and show very little signs of wearing.  I use them on trails in the winter as well as on the ice for fishing, and some plowing.

Did you feel the need to put these on your tracks as well?  I'm thinking that I'll hold of studding the tracks until I have a feel of what they can do on the ice.  Plus, with the possible exception of the first couple of weeks if even then, I'm seldom on glare ice with the snow that we usually get around here. 
Chris Raymond

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #17 on: Nov 16, 2013, 05:08 AM »
Did you feel the need to put these on your tracks as well?  I'm thinking that I'll hold of studding the tracks until I have a feel of what they can do on the ice.  Plus, with the possible exception of the first couple of weeks if even then, I'm seldom on glare ice with the snow that we usually get around here.
I did/am using them on my tracks.  Tracks will slide around and spin on glare ice.  Spinning is never a good thing, tires or tracks, in my mind.  I like to just ease on the throttle and start moving.  Don't like to have to be full on the throttle to get through bad areas either, though I do it when necessary  ;D

Offline marapoint

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 16, 2013, 06:05 AM »
Yep, can't use them on roads in the southern half of the province, on ice no problem.

Thanks Guys for the input.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I trailer my bike to the lake.
I plan on putting them on since there is no law that I could find eliminating the use of them for ice travel - Thanks Fisherman 1!

I'm new to owning an ATV - always sleds in the past - can I get away with just studding the rears only? Thanks,

bobby

bobby

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #19 on: Nov 17, 2013, 08:30 AM »
I would stud all four just for the simple fact of turning ability. I have had a quad refuse to turn on glare ice.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline bugchazer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 17, 2013, 08:42 AM »
Ive used both and prefer the studs over chains. They work almost as well as chains except in snow /slush over 12 inches. Smoother ride too. I' ve never lost any in winter and they grab better on glare ice. Just protect any wood floors or trailer deck as the will cut them up. :tipup:

Offline fishingguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 17, 2013, 10:49 AM »
I have used screw in studs, but after 5 or 6 years of putting them in and out they seem to need a new hole to get them to stay in. I used standard chains and they do make for a bumpy ride and you need to keep your speed down. Also with chains makes sure you have room for them so they don't hit on brake lines/control arms. I had to add 2 inch wheel spacers to get clearance to feel safe on running them. Chains need to be tight I remove the valve out of the stem and get them super tight and air them back up.
I haven't ever used chain like these but the are said to have a smooth ride.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.