Author Topic: studs in tires?  (Read 2718 times)

Offline wheatfield Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
studs in tires?
« on: Jan 03, 2013, 09:57 PM »
Never seen studded tires nor do I  have much experience with ATVs.  I'm wondering how this is done on a ATV. Could I do it myself with stock tires, or do they have to be special tires to not damage them to badly.  Maybe any suggestions on where to get them.

Offline bait trap

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Original Iceshanty Join date Feb 2004. FRESHBAIT
Re: studs in tires?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2013, 11:08 PM »
It can be done, there is a stud tool that you can use the same studs as car tires.  I've always just had a spare set of tires that i put ice screws in.  They have a sharpened v shaped head,  only down side is taking tires/rims off and on all the time.  The same thing can be done with small hex head machine screws, but then again you are screwing screws into your tires.   Chains are good too if that is an option as you can keep your tires and just put chains on.  And not worry about putting new tires and rims off and on all the time.
Checkin traps and making sure there's FRESHBAIT!!!
[

Offline wheatfield Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2013, 05:05 PM »
thanks BT I don't think I can get chains on the front. I will do a little more research to find out, tires are like new so I will stay away from studs for now. Unless I can find some cheap used tires to put on front.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2013, 05:15 PM »
Most people use chains on the back tires only and get enough traction.  Why can't you get chains on the front of your ATV? 

Offline wheatfield Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2013, 05:55 PM »
It's a polaris 300. Not much clearence in front. Not sure I can't get them on but not recommended by dealer. I'm going to talk to a dealer about it again.

Not sure I will even need them. Mostly concerned about turning on clear ice. Not nesecarily traction.

Offline bogmanjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't Tread on Me.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2013, 06:54 PM »
I have used the ice screws and taken them out in the spring then reinstalling in the winter. Doesn't take long with a cordless drill.

Offline Orion7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2013, 10:22 PM »
Ok use 1/4" self tapping screws in the thick parts of tread. Keep track of the wear and remove them when needed. I do this every two years. Works fine...

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2013, 06:05 AM »
I just have chains on the rear of mine and have been more than happy. I like the option with putting them on or taking them off in about 10 min. The screws for me would be a pain if I had to switch tires. Just depends on your needs.

WS

Offline Yooper77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2013, 09:11 PM »
I personally use 3/8s sheet metal screws in my tires. I have around an inch of tread, so they will nit poke through. They work great and a box of 200 is only a few bucks. Ice screws do work better, but are A LOT more expansive. I run 1 into the largest chunk of tread and there are usually 2 screws on the ice at all times. In the past I did not remove them, most would come out during my summer riding and I just replace them, this year I will probably take them out in the spring. Make sure you use screws that are atleast 3/8s shorter than your tread depth and you'll be fine.

Changed my middle name to "You should have been here yesterday".         Remember it's called fishing, not catching.

Offline wheatfield Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2013, 11:19 PM »
Thanks for the info. guys. I decided to get 1/4" screws for front tires. I'll try it with these and probably need new tires next year anyway.  Now I just need enough ice to get the wheeler on.

Offline EasternCentralNY21

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love The Great Outdoors
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2013, 03:49 PM »
Make sure you have fenders or something on that thing. the little drywall screws work good but if one comes flying out in your direction could take yours or someones eye out

Offline TinyTim

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2013, 09:20 PM »
Thanks for the info. guys. I decided to get 1/4" screws for front tires. I'll try it with these and probably need new tires next year anyway.  Now I just need enough ice to get the wheeler on.
Hows that working for ya?
I just use chains now and it will turn at SLOW speeds, but not very good. I'm avoiding putting screws in my tires.  :-\

Offline EasternCentralNY21

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love The Great Outdoors
« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2013, 07:33 PM »
i use drywall screws with the 10mm nut head on then it makes it easy to put alot of them in.

Offline wheatfield Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2013, 01:56 PM »
Only had it on the ice 1 time so far. Nothing on tires with only 2" snow on ground. Had no problems. Still looking to get second set of tires before i stud these.

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
« Reply #14 on: Feb 19, 2013, 05:54 PM »
 I would rather have chains.

Fishmon

« Reply #15 on: Mar 13, 2013, 06:21 PM »
Cabellas has chains for approx. $59 per set.  Worth the investment.   Can go virtually anywhere through anything with my Arctic cat 450. :)

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #16 on: Aug 04, 2013, 08:38 PM »
I just have chains on the rear of mine and have been more than happy. I like the option with putting them on or taking them off in about 10 min. The screws for me would be a pain if I had to switch tires. Just depends on your needs.

WS
Me too, I really like my rear chains.
Thread killer

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #17 on: Oct 03, 2013, 01:32 PM »
As long as you keep the chains good and snug you should not have any problems with clearance in the front. Just keep an eye on them.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #18 on: Oct 03, 2013, 03:14 PM »
Not sure about the Polaris 300 but I know there is not room for chains on the front of the Sportsman 500.  The front strut suspension is just too close to the tires.  I have used ice screws and they work great.  Had them in all for tires.  In my opinion, better than chains.  And safer, if you break a chain, you'll loose a fender in no time flat.Had chains all around on a Yamaha 400 BigBear.  They worked well too.

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 04, 2013, 07:48 PM »
I'm not a fan of chains, studs all the way.  I get the good hardened ones, they end up coming out easier IMO and don't wear on hard surfaces.  Trial and error on how many to go with, too many can make traction on pavement/asphalt less than what you're used to.  In my experience it seems the studs stay in really well except for if you lock em up and do big slides at high speed across the ice. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.