Author Topic: Any ideas?  (Read 4670 times)

Offline cSpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
Any ideas?
« on: Nov 05, 2010, 08:39 AM »
I have a friend that is wheelchair bound (within the last two yrs). He loves fishing. We are thinking about converting his flip over to a different base that his wheelchair can ride out on the lake on. I was wondering if anyone else had any ideas about transporting wheelchair bound anglers on the ice in all conditions. Goal is not to have to pick up or transfer if possible.
Spike
Traps? Who needs traps? I have a jig rod and a Vexilar!
gallery

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2010, 08:53 AM »
How about a Komatik syle sleigh like they use up in the arctic? They're low to the ground, they seem to tow well, and should be easy to load a wheel chair on and gear onto.

Or something similar to one of these could be an option:
http://www.northernsledworks.com./Cross_Fox.html

A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2010, 02:56 PM »
I don't know if this is an option?

http://tankchair.net/
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2010, 07:38 AM »
I'm assuming that your friend no longer has 100% use of only his legs.

I have 2 friends that are bound to wheel chairs that love to fish that don't have the use of their legs. The big Otter sleds are great for hauling their chairs along with gear. The only problem is that if it's not covered it will get wet. If you use a snowmobile in certain conditions, you could create a rooster tail and spray your friend if their in the sled. Been there, done that. Plus a stiff hitch is needed, especially going down hills onto the lake and for braking.

One friend owns his own wheeler so he drives himself out with the chair attached to the rack. The other catches a ride with either me or someone else. A little help here and there is all it takes. We find it better to have them either drive or ride and haul their chairs for them in a sled.
I could see turning the big Otter house / sled into what your trying to do. Wide enough for the chair, put your buddy in it, attach it to your ATV w/ a stiff hitch and away you go. Maybe build a removable snow shield out of polycarbonate unless you only go on certain days (when conditions are right). If you do this, you will need to have your buddy wear a helmet (full face) and goretex or some kind of waterproofing clothing. Obviously your not going to travel at 50 mph down the lake either. Another thing that would worry me is windy days. We've all been there when the wind catches your sled and tries to push it ahead of your ATV.

I think it's great that your buddy still wants to fish and has friends that are willing to lend a helping hand.

Let us know if you come up with something different. It would be nice to spread some other ideas so that ice fishing is enjoyable for everyone.

JIGGIN.

Offline AdamT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2010, 09:59 PM »
How about a Wilcraft?

Offline steven girard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2010, 10:11 PM »
Hi Spike... If he can do that... ==> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq9gBNlgkpw  I"m sure you're going to do more if you built the first sidecar snowmobile(add a windshield for your boddy ;))

Steven.
I was going to break a world record when the clock rang.....

Offline Stump Puller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2010, 10:32 PM »
I wouldn't be getting any fishing done if I had one of those, they look like to much fun. lol
Be safe out there, and set the iron.

Offline danakaiggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2010, 10:42 PM »
what about something like this
http://www.evaluation-pep.qc.ca/anglais/

come on all you welders out there this looks like something you can make

http://www.praschberger.com/en/wintersport/langlaufschlitten/

put some kind of flipover to the back of this and i would want one LOL

who knows with our ideas you might make a new product that gets more people out on the ice

Offline danakaiggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2010, 11:21 PM »
this is what i want out there
http://www.blokart.com/product.php

Offline guardbr8kr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2010, 09:05 AM »
An argo may be a solution for your friends ?

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2010, 04:40 PM »
If your not looking to spend thousands of dollars on Argos etc...,  I was just up to Kittery Trading Post and they have the biggest Otter Sled I've ever seen. Huge and Wide! Plenty wide enough for a wheel chair (fairly tall back). This would work perfect for someone in a wheel chair, set em up in it and go using a ATV or snowmobile. Would hold plenty of gear too. All kinds of room for a day trip. You would need a trailer though to haul this sled its so big. Would fit on a double wide trailer along with a snowmobile or ATV.
Not sure if Otter makes a flip over for this sled but I bet they do. Might even be the 4 man flip over. Of course that's more money.
Cabela's had some too but not the big Otter. I didn't get a price on it unfortunately for you.

JIGGIN.

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2010, 01:32 PM »
I'm kinda going through the same thing Here Spike. The Mrs wants me to take some of the younger residents from the nursing home out on the ice, but transporting someone that's in a wheelchair, is a major issue when you have little or no help !

I think Jiggin has the best idea so far ! but i would think you would have to cut a door in the stern end of the sled, just like you would in a  tuna boat. that way you can load the wheelchair pretty easy, and if you have a hub shack, your freind would never have to leave the sled, once you get to the ice.

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2010, 05:53 PM »
 iam handicap myself i use a gas powered golfcart with a 4 inch lift on it and have had no problem with it or get on or off of it

Offline cSpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 29, 2010, 12:05 PM »
Well we finished the basic design. We used 2x10 for skis and built a 4x8 floor using 2x3's. The goal was to integrate his Frabil flip over to the platform. We did this with 1x2 framing and three walls. Two ramps (one for each wheel) fill in the fourth wall when traveling. It doesn't leave much room for equipment inside after you load the rider with the chair.
We are still working out the hold downs for traveling across the rough terrain (thinking about boat buckles like what is used on the transom of boats, quick and dirty). There will be a snow shield added to the front for anything that is kicked up by the source of propulsion. Also a box to carry the fishing gear he would use. Lots of details to be worked out as the season progresses but the initial design is in place.

I do like the Wilcraft. The problem is it is limited to the season and for the cost wasn't an option at this point. I did like the fact that he would be pretty much self reliant for the parking lot out and back. If he wanted to move to another spot he could just up and move instead of asking someone to move him. At any rate it is a learning experience as was the boat fishing this spring and summer. One step at a time and constant improvement as we go.

Thanks for all the ideas.

I will put up pic's when we get out. He expects to be ready to go in a couple weeks.

Spike
gallery

Offline wally-eye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 29, 2010, 07:35 PM »
If you have access to a drop gate trailer your problem is solved so long as the ice is thick enough and there isn't too much snow.

I always haul my quad to the lake in my drop gate trailer, when at the lake unload quad and then hook the trailer to the quad, load up and go fishing.......

Mine is a 5X8 with a composite floor.   Once at the lake you should have no problem pushing a wheelchair up the ramp and once you're at the spot you want to fish then just drop the gate and wheel out the chair........easy on easy off and a safe ride.........just my .02..

Heck on my 5X8 I know you could probably get at least 6 wheelchairs on at the same time.........

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 31, 2010, 09:17 PM »
If you have access to a drop gate trailer your problem is solved so long as the ice is thick enough and there isn't too much snow.
Mine is a 5X8 with a composite floor.   Once at the lake you should have no problem pushing a wheelchair up the ramp and once you're at the spot you want to fish then just drop the gate and wheel out the chair........easy on easy off and a safe ride.....
(Image removed from quote.)

Good idea. Would be nice if you could weld on a pair of snowmobile ski to replace the wheels.

JIGGIN.

Offline wally-eye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 31, 2010, 10:38 PM »
They make special ski kits for trailers like this..drive onto the skis...bolt on and slide away.........not sure of the price though.......

Offline cSpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 29, 2011, 07:11 PM »
Well conditions would limit most modes of transport and we had some issues today but did get out eventually. I posted pics of the "sled" here: http://mermaidchartersfishing.com/Gallery/12911?page=1.
On a day with better conditions I will post better more detail pics of features of the design.
Naturally there are revisions to be made.

Spike
gallery

Offline hawk01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 31, 2011, 06:46 AM »
I think this may be your answer.

www.actiontrackchair.c om

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #19 on: Jan 31, 2011, 02:24 PM »
I saw a young guy in one at the ST Paul ice show my only thought is how to keep him warm.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline truckhuntfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • You'll have that
« Reply #20 on: Feb 03, 2011, 11:38 AM »
the action track chair "should" haul a hub style no prob , build a smitty sled and the person prob wouldnt need anybody then. only downside is that you might lose a fishing partner then.    ;D
-Truckin , Huntin , and Fishin , That's how I roll

Ha Haa Haaa  Did that hurt right away ???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.