Author Topic: 2wd truck?  (Read 5337 times)

Offline diabetik11

• Team IceShanty Addict
2wd truck?
« on: Jun 22, 2010, 10:31 PM »
i m thinking about getting a 4 cly 2wd ranger and was just wondering if you guys think it will have troubles out on ice, or in the Wisconsin winters. give me your thoughts please

Offline MEMAGGIENCOMET

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: 2wd truck?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 22, 2010, 11:12 PM »
my dad has a 2wd f250 and makes it out and back here in central wisco.  He has been stuck once in 2 years but, the weight difference is a lot though. if you stay on the paths you should be ok.

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jun 23, 2010, 01:07 AM »
With some extra weight in the back and some chains it might work. I have a friend who has the exact truck you describe and he tows his wheeler to the lake with it. He got real tired of getting stuck I suppose. 

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jun 23, 2010, 05:45 AM »
after having 4wd Id have a hard time buying any 2wd veh  I have the gmc 4x4 pickup and a gmc envoy also 4wd wife has a 2wd honda   I like the security!   but only go as far as I can in 2wd  that way I hopefully can make it out  if I have 2 in 4wd  lol
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Relheok

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Swamp Yankee
« Reply #4 on: Jun 23, 2010, 08:41 AM »
Plowed lakes with level access fine but I'd save for a 4WD. I got stuck twice with 4WD on un plowed lakes this winter :(

Offline yoslick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jun 23, 2010, 06:10 PM »
My kids got a 93 4 cyl 2wd ranger, got stuck in the driveway!!!!  What a POS, stay away if you can, 4x4 or stay off the ice......  I'm usually the nice guy that gets to pull you out.......
DCC(SW/MTS) US Navy retired 75-95

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jun 24, 2010, 10:51 AM »
A good set of off road/all terrain tires and a limited slip or locking rear diff make a huge difference on a 2WD truck. My '91 Ranger 2WD had neither and got stuck quite often. My '06 F150 2WD has BFG All-Terrain T/A KO's with a limited slip rear end, and I'm not afraid to take it off the beaten path. I do carry heavy duty V-bar chains as a "just in case" and they've gotten me out of some surprisingly tough spots. I've even been the first down a logging road with 12" of fresh snow and climbed a few hills without getting stuck (without using the chains) in the F150.

These options won't make a 2WD better than a 4x4, but they will still allow you to get out on the lake if a 4x4 isn't in your budget.

A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #7 on: Jun 24, 2010, 11:23 AM »
I have a 3/4 ton van 2 wheel drive. I got stuck twice last year on level ground. Good thing I carry kitty liter and ice melt at all times. I even leave it in for the summer. With a two wheel drive, you can't take chances.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline gasman707

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold is a state of mind!!
« Reply #8 on: Jun 24, 2010, 05:39 PM »
i m thinking about getting a 4 cly 2wd ranger and was just wondering if you guys think it will have troubles out on ice, or in the Wisconsin winters. give me your thoughts please

I also live in WI and drove a 2 wheel drive V6 ext cab ranger till it died at 190,000 mi. If you spit on the ground it was stuck due to no weight on the rear tires and heavy V6 in the front. 
 I solved the problem with a good set of snow tires 200lbs of weight (fishing gear and a couple of cement blocks) and a must in any ice fishing/ hunting vehicle TIRE CHAINS!
 One of my  best ice fishing memories is, pull up to my fishing partner in my 2 wheel drive ranger with tire chains on, pulling a trailer with a snowmobile, and asking if he needed me to pull  his full size 4 door 4x4 chevy out.
 I then spent the next 5 minutes laughing myself silly, as he beat that poor chevy to get to the road. In the chevy's defense, ( I normally don't defend a chevy) a good set of tires and there would have been no problem.   
 I now own a 4x4 ranger and still carry tire chains, just havn't had to put them on!

Offline newfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jul 23, 2010, 06:54 AM »
owned a  2 wd 85 ranger, i put  a lot of weight in back. took it down unplowed forest service trails, unplowed roads and packed snow mobile trails. always carried chains and used them when stuck or going really bad. when stuck bad in snow, chains will dig you down to soil and get you unstuck.( if too deep you can get hung up on frame)(never had to be towed, but I had time and energy to spare) I was younger then, and liked the adventure of it, but I did put myself in foolish situations that I would not today.Today I'm older, wiser, lazy and own a 4x4. ;)

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
« Reply #10 on: Jul 23, 2010, 07:52 AM »

Our winters out here in PA are no where as bad as they are out there...I have a 2wd 4cyl Ranger...not too good in deep snow or tractionwise, not good on ice...

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #11 on: Jul 23, 2010, 09:47 AM »
Some good studded winter tires and some weight in the box and you can go pretty good in 2wd, at least till you get hung up on the frame, but that happens with 4wds too.  Tire chains are nice to have as mentioned, but studs are nice because they are on all the time and good for icy highway driving as well.  I even run studded tires on the back of my 4wd in the winter.

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #12 on: Jul 27, 2010, 07:46 AM »
Some good studded winter tires and some weight in the box and you can go pretty good in 2wd, at least till you get hung up on the frame, but that happens with 4wds too.  Tire chains are nice to have as mentioned, but studs are nice because they are on all the time and good for icy highway driving as well.  I even run studded tires on the back of my 4wd in the winter.
Studded tires are not legal in Michigan. I loved using them on my old vans. The sound they give off going down the highway would resonate into the back. Old men have weird memories.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Jul 27, 2010, 09:09 AM »
Id think that would be a foolish law in a snowbound state   I would go anywhere without studded tires unless I had 4wd   def keeps wife on the road early in the am on her way to work with her honda   only rule in maine is if ya got front wheel drive  you have to stud all 4 tires  and if the tires didnt cost too much Id stud all four of my pickup and envoy too

Offline wilenard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jul 27, 2010, 04:33 PM »
Level access as noted earlier is key as I made it down the hill onto the lake and fished all day. On the return, I spent 3 hours making it half way up the hill back to the main road then I slid back to the bottom. Was laughed at by numerous folks in 4x4's and on snowmobiles and ATVs. Finally called a tow truck and they didn't laugh at me to my face but they did gladly take my $90.00 check!That was 20 years ago and I have never owned a 2 wheel drive truck again!
"Success comes before work only in the dictionary"

"No God, no love; Know God, know love!"

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #15 on: Jul 27, 2010, 07:48 PM »
My friend had a bone stock F150 2WD, 5 speed V6.  Stuck all the time.  He had the rear loaded with his tools and often material, plus fishing gear (he is a tile setter, so we're talking some equipment).  I've pulled him out a few times last year with my Durango, pushed more times than I can count.  He had an aggressive tread tire with some decent rubber too.  You see guys out on lakes all the time with 2WD in MN, just use common sense and have the gear ready for a push/pull.  If you can swing the gas mileage and extra $$ for 4WD do it, you'll be happy you did.  At the end of the winter he ended up trading it in for a 4WD Chevy. 

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Jul 27, 2010, 07:59 PM »
I have owned plenty of twoolies and frankly, it sucked!

You will be alright most of the time if you have good tires and some weight in the back. The 4x4s usualy provide some decent packed down trails, but it takes a few days after a new snow before they appear. Bring a tow strap and bring an extra beer for the guy who pulls your stuck ass out!

Most guys out there have owned a twoolie and know how it goes, they are happy to lend a tug.

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Aug 10, 2010, 12:54 PM »
You should be okay if you follow a few simple rules.
Don't get cocky. Bring a shovel. Bring a recovery strap. Extra weight in the back (think sandbags.) Tire chains would be a great idea. I've seen plenty of people with 2wd's on the ice.  Stay on the ice roads if you can and make sure the ice is right. One time I had to push a snowmobile because he got stuck. Fresh snow over glare ice. My 4wd ran fine but he couldn't even move.

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Oct 19, 2010, 02:45 PM »
2wd drive is fine if you pick your time & place but it will limit your options.
Last winter on Lake Simcoe I used my old Ford Taurus (4X4 Jimmy broke down & now gone) during a tournament without problems. With snow drifts caused by huts (either present or recently moved) I had to be careful where I went.
So yes a 2wd can work (good tires, weight on drive wheels & chains help greatly) if you pick your place & time but is no where near as good as a 4X4.

Good Luck: Rick

BTW: I have a 4X4 Ford Explorer for this year & am going to set-up an old garden tractor for before the ice is good enough for the Explorer.

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Oct 19, 2010, 05:59 PM »
only go as far as you can in 2wd leave the possible way out if you get stuck then you got the 4wd      then there is always the 6 pack drive....lol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.