Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake  (Read 431501 times)

Offline Bull_Gill_Mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Clear Lake
« Reply #360 on: Dec 04, 2008, 07:14 AM »
My brother purchased the Lowrance unit last year, I have the FL-18.  This year he is thinking of trading it in for the flasher.  I'll take the flasher unit with my handheld gps over it any day of the week on the ice.  But thats just me  8)

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #361 on: Dec 04, 2008, 07:32 AM »
I concour with bullgill on that one.  How long do lcds last?  The lowrance in my boat lasted around 5 yrs then just one day the screen came on all jacked up and they wanted 200 bucks to fix it!  Lcds do have their place in certain applications.  But ive seen 15+ yr old vexilars still going at it all dinged and knicked up and working in -20 degree temps.  Heck I dropped my FL18 off the tailgate onto concrete and that barely phased her.  Another thing is too flashers are INSTANT.  We could argue this all day long but to me lcd finders for ice fishing are just  very very expensive paperweights.

Offline bus33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #362 on: Dec 04, 2008, 08:40 AM »
I concour with bullgill on that one.  How long do lcds last?  The lowrance in my boat lasted around 5 yrs then just one day the screen came on all jacked up and they wanted 200 bucks to fix it!  Lcds do have their place in certain applications.  But ive seen 15+ yr old vexilars still going at it all dinged and knicked up and working in -20 degree temps.  Heck I dropped my FL18 off the tailgate onto concrete and that barely phased her.  Another thing is too flashers are INSTANT.  We could argue this all day long but to me lcd finders for ice fishing are just  very very expensive paperweights.

Good point....if it isn't broke don't fix it.

Offline crappieangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #363 on: Dec 04, 2008, 04:05 PM »
Thanks for all the help guys.  I've fished Clear probably a dozen times in the past couple years, and have had good luck on soft water, and iced it twice last year w/ smaller eyes and a nice yellow.  I've never had much reason to not fish the island or drift north to the cattails from Dodge's Point, so I'm not real familiar with other areas.  With reports of good ice I'm thinking about making a trip up that way Sunday.  I'll be in a black Shapell 3000 driving shortbox 99' silverado (gray).  Thanks again for all your help.

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #364 on: Dec 04, 2008, 04:22 PM »
good to hear.  heard there were quite a few over there last sunday, but i dont know if the bite has picked up yet or not.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #365 on: Dec 04, 2008, 06:29 PM »
5 degrees at 6pm.  Didnt make it above 15 all day long.  Yes yes we are making ice :laugh:
Spent the last 5days remodeling the shack.  She should be ready for this weekend. :tipup:

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #366 on: Dec 04, 2008, 06:33 PM »
With the talk of vex's a buddy told me today Polk City Bait and Tackle had fl-18 for 335. Might call 1st 515-984-6711 hope the info was correct.

Offline Bull_Gill_Mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #367 on: Dec 04, 2008, 07:54 PM »
How about 4 wheelers this weekend C.B.?

Offline bird3337

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #368 on: Dec 04, 2008, 08:06 PM »
I AM JEALOUS!  No ICE in SW Iowa!  PUKE

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #369 on: Dec 04, 2008, 09:21 PM »
i have a relative from southern iowa who is always irritated with that.  i try not to tease him.

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #370 on: Dec 04, 2008, 09:24 PM »
How about 4 wheelers this weekend C.B.?

isnt the rule 4 or 5 inches of black ice per ton?   im not sure, something like that.

Offline marble-eye03

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #371 on: Dec 04, 2008, 10:05 PM »
Been fishing out there three times so far this year lots of yellows and only one keeper eye.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #372 on: Dec 05, 2008, 02:08 AM »
I havent been over there for almost a week.  I found 4-5 inches of decent to marginal ice then even with warmer temps.  Now with the temps in the lower single digits at night and teens during the day it wont be long till drive out.  Id imagine quads will be fine.  Probably tow our house out Sunday or so with the quad depending on weather tracks.  Cross yur fingers :laugh:

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #373 on: Dec 05, 2008, 06:53 AM »
It is to my understanding that the lake is completely frozen over expect for by the aerators?  Anyone venture out into the deeper water north of the island yet or is it too soon?  Thanks  :tipup:

Offline bus33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #374 on: Dec 05, 2008, 10:36 AM »
With the talk of vex's a buddy told me today Polk City Bait and Tackle had fl-18 for 335. Might call 1st 515-984-6711 hope the info was correct.

Bill usually has pretty cheap fish traps and vex's.  He's not the most personable guy but he does sell for cheaper than most. 

Offline crappieangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #375 on: Dec 05, 2008, 02:59 PM »
I think he's been in a better mood lately.  He use to be kinda stand offish when I would go in, but he has been overly nice to me the past few times I went in.  Got some waxies in there Tues. or Wed. saw the vex but didn't check prices.

Offline bus33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #376 on: Dec 05, 2008, 04:03 PM »
Ya, he means well...just a different personality. 

Offline 515deerhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • bobbers down
« Reply #377 on: Dec 05, 2008, 04:12 PM »
got my fl 20 there last jan, for about a bill less than any were els.old man bill dont mean no harm, hell of a good guy once you get to know him, just must dont give him a chance.  i ve been going here for years, and will for many more.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #378 on: Dec 05, 2008, 05:42 PM »
Anderson_dc...... There was open water N.E of the island a week ago the geese were keeping it open..  May wanna keep an eye open for that.

Offline SetDaHook

• IceShanty Rookie
  • PhishinPhan
« Reply #379 on: Dec 05, 2008, 06:24 PM »
CrappieAngler, I live in Ankeny as well and have been over to Polk City to see Bill too.  You can't beat his prices and I do agree, he's been in a better mood.  I called earlier in the week for an ice report on Lost Lake and he actually had a candid response.  I was expecting him to hang up on me.  I'll always buy from the "little guy" whenever I can, it's great to have them around.  Good luck fishin, maybe I'll see ya out there.

Offline roberts

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #380 on: Dec 07, 2008, 04:03 AM »
did any one do any good saturday on  the lake wandering about farmers  beach   and how the ice  was holding up

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #381 on: Dec 07, 2008, 02:36 PM »
Taking the wheeler and the permanent house out tonight "hopefully". Heard through the grapevine there was 8 inches off farmers.  So if theres 8 she goes out!

Offline whip2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #382 on: Dec 07, 2008, 03:02 PM »
No rumor about it, there is 8" of ice off Farmers Beach. Fished for a couple of hours this morning. Dang, the wind was raw.

Caught 5 Eyes around 10 inches long using live minnows & one small Yellow on a wax worm. Hopefully next time out I will catch something large enough to keep.

whip2

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #383 on: Dec 07, 2008, 06:15 PM »
Gonna hold off since they upped the winter storm from 2-5 inches to 4-8 and 30 mile an hr winds.  We might be done for the season before we even get started.  8 Inches of snow would hamper ice building big time.  Hope it all blows over!

Offline nater3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #384 on: Dec 07, 2008, 08:15 PM »
My brother and I got out to Farmers at about 9:00 this morning and fished until about 5:30 tonight.  The morning was kind of slow with my brother picking up about 10 hole hopping and we picked up a few on our tipups.  Middle of the day from about noon to 3 it just died.  At 3 they started to turn on again and we hammered them for the last hour and a half.  They were hitting really well on minnows tonight.  My brother got all of his on waxies this morning.  We finished the day with about 40 yellows.  Only saw one walleye that got off at the hole, but didn't look too big anyway.  Great first day on the ice, but holy smokes was it cold out there.  The heater had a tough time keeping up and the entire interior of the shack had a frost layer on it.  We grilled brats for lunch and the sure taste awesome when it is -3 wind chill.  Also, there were two permanant shacks brought out by four wheeler while we were out there. 

Offline bob32racing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #385 on: Dec 07, 2008, 08:50 PM »
We did pretty good in the big permanant. Alot of yellows. You all looked at us like we were nuts pulling that shack out there!

Offline nater3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #386 on: Dec 08, 2008, 09:01 AM »
Not nuts,  ok nuts.  :)   We were in the Frabill just to the west of you.  What were you guys getting them on?   

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #387 on: Dec 08, 2008, 05:43 PM »
Said ta heck with the lake since she wasnt producing the eyes I liked and found my own tonite.  Caught this one inside Mason City city limits.  Dunno where though ???.  22 Incher.

Offline bob32racing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #388 on: Dec 08, 2008, 08:04 PM »
o i was catching them with a hook and bait.  ;) just a plain hook and minnow, but the didnt work tonight, we barely caught anything.

Offline Wally Lindner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #389 on: Dec 08, 2008, 10:05 PM »
  Crappie buster if thats 22" you must be seven foot six inches  ???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.