Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake  (Read 431490 times)

Offline Joboo2334

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Clear Lake
« Reply #2340 on: Feb 18, 2015, 06:28 AM »
Lmao!!! Think I'm gonna stick to my farm ponds.
I'm gonna miss her,when I get home.

Offline Dukkilr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2341 on: Feb 18, 2015, 06:48 AM »
Unfortunately it's true.  A construction crew building a bike trail hit a sewer line under the lake last summer by the grade while driving in pilings it was broke for quite a while.

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2342 on: Feb 18, 2015, 03:54 PM »
Caddy Shack and Babe Ruth bar.

Be careful what might float by your hole. Just sayin'.

Offline KrappieSlayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Pool 9 Pro

Offline KrappieSlayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2344 on: Feb 21, 2015, 04:50 PM »
We got 2nd with 13.85. Caught close to 200 yellows today. Was a good and fun day. Until right at the end never had people closer than 200-300 yards. Nice day and fun event.

does this mean you are now #1????
Pool 9 Pro

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2345 on: Feb 21, 2015, 07:00 PM »
I'd assume so.  I sure hope they don't stop doing this tournament because of this.  It sucks more for the tournament hosts trying to run an honest quality tournament than anyone.

Offline andypromx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2346 on: Feb 21, 2015, 07:08 PM »
They should be banned for life from all fishing tournaments!!!

Offline ranger185

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2347 on: Feb 21, 2015, 07:35 PM »
I feel bad for Kevin Paul. You can tell he puts his heart and soul into this. At the same time.....what do you expect? Think about it. Guys could fish all week, get a net under the ice that was tied down by a tent spike driven into the ice. Keep putting decent fish into it. It refreezes every day. Use your GPS to mark the spot and there you go. All this is hidden by pulling your portable lid over so nobody can see what you are doing. Doesn't take a great deal of imagination. How can you really expect to run a tournament like this without some scumbags figuring it out.
Regarding tournaments, I simply do not understand the need to feel that you have to spend the money to enter, travel, lodge, and so on. To each their own I guess.

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2348 on: Feb 21, 2015, 07:52 PM »
I expect that a lesson will be taught here harsh enough that people won't consider it again.  I'm very sure you aren't alone in the way you think of a tournaments, but there are a lot of us out there that love it.  By the number of people who not only entered the tournament, but got turned away after the field was closed I can say that many of us love it.  If there were more tournaments like this I'd fish as many as my wife would let me!

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2349 on: Feb 21, 2015, 07:54 PM »
Maybe put differently you don't have to sign up, you want to

Offline Iowan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2350 on: Feb 23, 2015, 06:15 PM »
There were a few flaws in the interview.  He states the fish stopped biting when the sun came up.  The tourney didn't start until after the sun was up.  Then the other one states it took them a half hour to find fish. 

Not sure what the solution would be to this or what the larger tournaments do other than a ploy test and don't think the tournament has reached that size yet.  Maybe interview the winners separately and ask a few "investigative" questions.  Other than doing my part in being honest, not much I can do about others.  I am sure no matter what if there is a will there is a way.  As sad as this story is I am still looking forward to next year.  I will have a good time doing what I love regardless of guys like this that are willing to sacrifice their integrity for a little recognition and prizes. 
Catch a man a fish and feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime.

Offline crappie98

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2351 on: Feb 23, 2015, 09:08 PM »
Ok lets let this issue die out of this thread.  Anyone been out on the lake???  Thinking about trying it tomorrow if the bite is slow on Crystal.

Offline Crappyfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2352 on: Feb 23, 2015, 09:34 PM »
He was referring to the sun coming out. It was pretty cloudy all morning then the sun came out and the fish slowed way down. But if they cheated that sucks. Hope they get all that figured out soon.

Offline FISH-MITS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2353 on: Feb 26, 2015, 07:12 PM »
The YBB is doing a ton for this lake. Crappie, Walleye & Musky are starting to do well. Nothing better then making competition out of yanking yellows out of the lake. Buddy & I made top 30 last year & top 10 this year. For us as much as anything it's the tourney strategy & networking with good company which does it for us. Last thing this tournament needs is a couple of individuals who get arrested and come across as being dishonest in an interview when their not able to subconsciously answer questions like how deep they fished or by making statements that the fish we're stacked top to bottom while fishing 9'. Using this thread to bring awareness is positive...risk cheating, get caught & you'll become famous for all the wrong reasons. We all have some stock in upholding the reputation of what it means to be "REAL" Iowa Sportsman.
"Catch Em' While You Can"

Offline crappie98

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2354 on: Feb 26, 2015, 08:10 PM »
Anybody been fishing the lake lately???  All I hear are people bashing the people who cheated.  As if no one on here has ever done anything wrong from speeding to not wearing a seatbelt or an OWI.  Lets get back to fish reports as that is what this is all about. 

Last report I got was the bite had slowed from a few weeks ago. 

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2355 on: Feb 26, 2015, 08:25 PM »
So the guys that won it come across as dishonest for not wanting to share information about the depth they caught their fish in?  Also for saying fish were stacked top to bottom in 9 feet of water?  I'm not trying to defend them, but that's about the dumbest thing I've heard.

Offline FISH-MITS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2356 on: Feb 26, 2015, 09:33 PM »
Just saying if your interviewed and are asked how deep you're fishing and you make a legitimate attempt to answer but sound like stu-der-ing sssstanlyy there's probably something up. Either you know how deep you fished or not - end of story. If you don't want to tell folks how deep your fishing then at least answer, "I'm only here so I dont get fined" ;). Lets be honest the top 10 teams we're basically fishing the same depth so its not as if its a secret for Davey Jones Locker. On top of it and just saying guess I cant remember ever catching a ton of chunky yellow bass suspended 7' off the bottom mid February.   

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2357 on: Feb 27, 2015, 07:37 AM »
Every year I've fished Clear Lake and the tournament I've had times where the fish were extended above my 6' bottom zoom. Just saying. 

Offline FISH-MITS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2358 on: Feb 27, 2015, 09:18 AM »
Might want to leave that zoom off then  ::)

Offline CL_UCS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2359 on: Feb 28, 2015, 11:39 AM »
Unfortunately it's true.  A construction crew building a bike trail hit a sewer line under the lake last summer by the grade while driving in pilings it was broke for quite a while.

Unfortunate but that was 12 years ago. http://www.radioiowa.com/2003/07/16/line-break-spills-sewage-into-clear-lake/

Offline CL_UCS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2360 on: Feb 28, 2015, 11:45 AM »
Out fishing east side of the island today. Only one other person out here. Decided to try a new location. ~7ft

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2362 on: Mar 10, 2015, 05:40 PM »
Still any safe ice?

Offline Corkycal

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2363 on: Mar 11, 2015, 06:13 PM »
I was wondering the same thing about Clear Lake. I saw two people out on the ice at Ada Hayden this afternoon. But the conditions are deteriorating quickly. Wouldn't mind heading North if there are any safe areas on Clear Lake. Thanks!

Offline SouthBear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2364 on: Mar 11, 2015, 08:27 PM »
I was on little lake today. I did see 5-6 others out on little lake. Tiny bit of water at the shore, ice was soft but not too slushy out further. I would avoid big lake quite a bit has opened up. I walked out with spud bar, Ice was soft, the ice cubed up when slamming the spud bar. Safe to walk on today I would think 2 more days before it gets completely trashed. Did catch some nice bluegills.

Offline Corkycal

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2365 on: Mar 11, 2015, 08:55 PM »
Thanks for the info SouthBear!

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2366 on: Dec 24, 2015, 02:12 PM »
Plan on hitting the Little Lake the 27th(Sunday)
Anyone else going? Always bring a friend early ice and bring picks and a spud bar!

Offline tracksnorth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2367 on: Dec 25, 2015, 01:34 PM »
I am thinking about heading there tomorrow actually. Anyone have a recent report on thickness?
OEF vet Cco 2/505th PIR 82nd airborne division

Offline bassfishineric12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2368 on: Dec 25, 2015, 03:27 PM »
I just drove by didn't see anybody out there yet

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2369 on: Dec 26, 2015, 01:06 PM »
Any word on the ice?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum