Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake  (Read 431489 times)

Offline Joboo2334

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Clear Lake
« Reply #2310 on: Feb 08, 2015, 07:33 AM »
X2 I'm curious myself. I do real good on them in the spring.
I'm gonna miss her,when I get home.

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2311 on: Feb 08, 2015, 05:05 PM »
Well how'd everybody do!?

Offline Bullhead King

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Diehard Chicago Bears Fan!
« Reply #2312 on: Feb 08, 2015, 06:21 PM »
We ended up in 72nd place with 28 fish weighing 7.21lbs.

There were 5429 total fish weighed in according to the official results.

Offline buttontate

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2313 on: Feb 08, 2015, 06:45 PM »
We placed 24th with 10.25 lbs.

Offline dekalbnick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2314 on: Feb 08, 2015, 08:58 PM »
We got 2nd with 13.85. Caught close to 200 yellows today. Was a good and fun day. Until right at the end never had people closer than 200-300 yards. Nice day and fun event.

Offline Crappyfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2315 on: Feb 08, 2015, 09:16 PM »
Came in 92 place. Caught 31 fish. People were all around us. Couldn't hardly breathe they were so close. Had 2 guys 20 yards from us and they said they caught upwards of 150. Unreal what a different jig and 20 yards can produce. Guys on the other side of us didn't catch anything. Overall very happy. My brother caught fish so he will be going back again next year haha!!

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2316 on: Feb 09, 2015, 08:20 AM »
We finished 25th with 10.2 pounds. Man it was packed though, was really hard trying to avoid the crowd at Baptist but we managed our 50. Ran our gas auger out of gas and the drill out of both batteries. Good event and looking forward to next year's...Especially sense I'll have my new thermal we got for 25th place ;D

Offline jiggerjohn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2317 on: Feb 09, 2015, 08:50 AM »
me and my son ended up 49Th.  50 fish weighed 9.20. caught at least 150 just no size.

Offline Iowan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2318 on: Feb 09, 2015, 09:58 AM »
Wife and I finished 33 with 50 fish.  By the end of the day she understood the value of hole hopping and held her own on the ice the entire day.  Looking forward to next year. 
Catch a man a fish and feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime.

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2319 on: Feb 09, 2015, 04:17 PM »
20 feet (not yards) made more than all of the difference.  The lure shape or color did not matter at all. If there was a fish in the hole that wouldn't bite it was a waste of time.  At second place we didn't have a fish in our bucket in the first hour.

Offline Crappyfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2320 on: Feb 09, 2015, 04:39 PM »
Next year i will definetly be more mobile. We stuck around our holes for the last 1.5 to 2 hrs. Should have kept drilling and kept moving. I figure not bad for our first time targeting yellows and first one on the lake. We beat out over half the competition and my brother has only ice fished 3 times haha.

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2321 on: Feb 09, 2015, 05:32 PM »
Thanks to everyone that fished our event!!!!!

Hope to make it better for 2016.

Thanks
Chris

Offline trex59

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2322 on: Feb 09, 2015, 05:45 PM »
Congrats to all of you that caught fish to get into the top 100! Did most of you fish the big lake or little lake?   My son and I thought we had it figured out on the little lake as that is where we fished last year and didnt too bad for our first time on the lake and finished in the top 100.  We prefished on Friday afternoon on the big lake but it was tough going with the drifts out there so my son thought we would do ok in the little lake so that is where we prefished on Sat and we got into some decent 8-10 in fish. Not alot but we were prefishing and adding some spots to our list where we had caught yellows. Boy did that change on Sunday. We could not buy a bite and we moved alot! In shallow, out deep, 20 ft this way,20 ft the other to no avail. Tried all 5 spots that we had caught yellows before and nothing.  Lots of teams around us were experiencing the same thing. With nothing to check in for fish, we fished right up to the deadline thinking all we need is one, Tagged fish!!!  lol  Had lots of fun anyway. A well run event and next year, we will be learning the big lake!

Offline Outdoor_Joe_26

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2323 on: Feb 09, 2015, 07:07 PM »
Similar for my dad and I trex...We did it last year and it was our first time on that lake and couldn't prefish, but missed $100 payout by ounces.  This time I wanted to do it right so I prefished Friday and drilled a ton of holes but only found perch. Saturday I battled auger problems but my wife and I found a few spots and felt pretty good by 3 on Saturday evening.  Sunday we raced to our spot on foot but couldn't beat the teams on quads. Set up and fished but we just weren't in the spot. Checked a few other spots, the places we found them last year and then hole hopped our way back to the ramp but only found one. My dad and I weighed in one fish and my wife and uncle got skunked, although my uncle did land a nice crappie which was his first fish through the ice.

All in all the guys that run it do everything but catch the fish for us.  The bash, the prizes and experience make it the best ran tournament I've been to, even though clear lake seems to kick my butt! 
God is Great, Beer is Good, and People are Crazy!<br /><br />[IMG]

Offline waterfowlhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2324 on: Feb 09, 2015, 10:58 PM »
I was unable to pre-fish the lake and haven't fished it since last years tourney so we went in completely blind. We probably moved 10 times to new areas of both the big lake and little lake. It wasn't until around 12:10 when i caught the first yellow and i was really excited to be on the board  ;D My partner and I then fished the same hole and caught our 50 within the next half hour giving us just enough time to get picked up and back to the weigh in. We ended up placing 70th so overall a pretty good day

Offline IowaHardWater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2325 on: Feb 10, 2015, 11:26 AM »
Finished up 133rd, if I remember right, weighing in 15 fish.  We had 2 fish in our bucket the first three hours, and we decided to make our way back to the boat ramp and start fishing closer to the ramp, instead of having a heck of a walk to end the day.  We found fish right away, added 13 to our bucket in probably 20-25 minutes, and then got in line to weigh in.

Pre-fishing went well, we caught the 9-10" fish, and decided we'd make that trek the morning of the tournament.  However, the walk was a 12 minute walk, pulling the ice house, just to catch dink walleye, perch, and two yellows.  Needless to say that I was a bit tired after pulling the ice house all the way out.

Regardless, it was fun, we'll be back next year, and hopefully with an ATV in tow.

Offline trex59

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2326 on: Feb 10, 2015, 12:53 PM »
Hey Iowahardwater, did you make the trek to the big lake or little?

Offline IowaHardWater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2327 on: Feb 11, 2015, 10:16 AM »
We stayed on little lake, but we went a long, long ways west.  I'm sure people had 10 fish in the bucket before we got to our spot, and it wasn't worth it!

Offline trex59

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2328 on: Feb 11, 2015, 04:40 PM »
Yes I think saw you out there and wondered if there was any action out there!  We were over that way but by the other ramp.  The navionics app on my phone showed a fish attracter just off the ramp and we were hopping all over to find a bite on the little lake, but wanting to stay away from the crowds! Just couldnt find it! 

Offline kbrandel4314

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2329 on: Feb 12, 2015, 03:48 AM »
Im looking to fish Clear Lake this weekend (2-14).  Any suggestions on jigs, bait, location???  Driving 3 hours from Northwest Illinois to visit family.  Thanks for any advise!!

Offline IowaHardWater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2330 on: Feb 12, 2015, 10:26 AM »
Yes I think saw you out there and wondered if there was any action out there!  We were over that way but by the other ramp.  The navionics app on my phone showed a fish attracter just off the ramp and we were hopping all over to find a bite on the little lake, but wanting to stay away from the crowds! Just couldnt find it!

Yeah, they were there the day before, just not on Sunday.  Heck of a walk, I was awfully tired.  That darn ice house doesn't pull the greatest on the snow!  Good thing that plowed road went pretty much to our spot, which made it a bit easier.  Marked a lot of fish, caught some perch and really small walleye, and two yellows out of that spot before we gave up on it, a bit too late, but we still weighed a few fish.  We'll be back next year! 

We were going to borrow a buddies four wheeler, but he's a farmer and it isn't registered.  I feared the DNR would be doing the check in, so we didn't bring it.  Turns out maybe we should have...

Offline trex59

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2331 on: Feb 12, 2015, 06:19 PM »
I keep asking myself what makes fish disappear like that? I think maybe that front that moved through that gave us the need for ice creepers early morning in the parking lot may have caused them to go somewhere where we weren't!!  We still had a good father/son outing and are looking forward to doing it again with a different strategy!  IowaHardwater, build yourself a smitty sled and a walk like that will be a breeze. I built two, one for the shack we had and one for my one man. I wish I would have done it years ago, Thanks smitty!!

Offline IowaHardWater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2332 on: Feb 13, 2015, 11:17 AM »
Yeah, a smitty sled would be awesome to put under the house, it sure would make the pulls easier.  I'm sure that little front that pushed through had something to do with the fish not being where they were on Saturday, which was 12-13' of water.  However, on our walk back, when we found them, I was fishing in 6', with a vertical spoon jig, and a treble hook, and the fish were slamming it.

I'd drop down, not even get half way, and up they'd come!  Too bad there wasn't size to them, and too bad we didn't move there an hour earlier!

Offline ShortStix

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2333 on: Feb 14, 2015, 08:32 AM »
Is whitebreast safe for a Polaris ranger?

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2334 on: Feb 14, 2015, 05:52 PM »
Might try that under Red Rock Ice Report.

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2335 on: Feb 17, 2015, 04:59 PM »
Anyone else heard anything about them hitting a sewer pipe while working on the Ventura grade? Heard they hit a sewer pipe and it spilled a bunch of gunk into the lake and what's why the lake has an awful odor. We fished next to the channel a few weeks ago and brown gunk was flowing up the hole and the water absolutely reeked..And the fish I've been cleaning have a pungent smell...Ask some locals and hears about the pipe

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2336 on: Feb 17, 2015, 05:03 PM »
Anyone else heard anything about them hitting a sewer pipe while working on the Ventura grade? Heard they hit a sewer pipe and it spilled a bunch of gunk into the lake and what's why the lake has an awful odor. We fished next to the channel a few weeks ago and brown gunk was flowing up the hole and the water absolutely reeked..And the fish I've been cleaning have a pungent smell...Ask some locals and hears about the pipe

Oh boy, I hope not. I've heard people complain about the taste of the fish.

I know when I went last year, I was surprised at the poor quality of the water. Very dirty & green. But, there was a large ice cap for a very long time last year with low oxygen levels. After punching a hole, I was just surprised at the water when it came up.

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2337 on: Feb 17, 2015, 05:22 PM »
Not sure how credible the pipeline deal is. Just know the fish flavor is definitely "Different" and the lakes water has a real bad smell..At least it did when the auger splashed water in my coat and I've seen nasty gunk in the channel...Sounded like a logical explanation just trying to see if it's verified

Offline JiggingIowa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2338 on: Feb 17, 2015, 10:18 PM »
Unfortunately I believe it's true, I'm not sure it's a sewer pipe that was hit, but the water has been affected by something. I'm probably going to contact the DNR and get something more officaial, but I'm not keeping fish out of the little lake until it's taken care of.

Offline wittyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2339 on: Feb 17, 2015, 10:30 PM »
Gives new meaning to catching a crappie!
FTWGA

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.