Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake  (Read 431505 times)

Offline fuddster28

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Clear Lake
« Reply #2130 on: Jan 18, 2014, 04:21 PM »
Making an end of the week trip to clear lake, anybody have any insight on what they are biting on and FOW to try.

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2131 on: Jan 18, 2014, 11:14 PM »
We were in 17-18 fow today & didn't catch crap, fwiw.

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2132 on: Jan 19, 2014, 04:54 AM »
How much snow is on the ice on Clear Lake & the little lake?
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2133 on: Jan 19, 2014, 01:33 PM »
Not much. Two wheel drive fine. Im on with a van. No problem or drifts. Acces is great as well. No fish though. Dnr check he said not much happening. Disappointed. I've never had it this bad on clear.

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2134 on: Jan 19, 2014, 09:11 PM »
Stay away from the aerators, a pickup truck went through the ice.

http://www.kimt.com/news/local/pickup-truck-goes-through-the-ice-on-clear-lake

Offline fishndude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2135 on: Jan 20, 2014, 07:36 AM »
I have pictures.Ill post later. The truck went through just W of Dodges. Looked to me like its sitting right on top of the reef out there?

On a side note, the wife, son and I all went through on our snowmobiles just outside the markers by the downtown beach. It was a loooong way from the aerators!! To say it scared the crap out of all of us would be an understatement. I would have thought  a guy could drive a truck out where it happened?

We were all able to get out without going under thank god, ( I am very thankful that we have talked many times about what to do if this were to ever happen while riding a body of water. They both did a great job. She shed a few tears when back to safety, said " Please dont take me over there again" LOL. )

Be safe out there guys. It definately is making me think twice about ever driving out again!

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2136 on: Jan 20, 2014, 08:10 AM »
Yes I can speak from my own experience to stay away from the aerators. One time I was walking just west of Dodges drilling holes. I thought  I was far enough away from the open water. I drilled a hole and there was only about 4" of ice under me, good thing I wasn't driving.  When the wind blows hard it doesn't take long to erode the ice.

Offline fishndude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2137 on: Jan 20, 2014, 08:54 AM »

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2138 on: Jan 23, 2014, 03:11 PM »
Yes I can speak from my own experience to stay away from the aerators. One time I was walking just west of Dodges drilling holes. I thought  I was far enough away from the open water. I drilled a hole and there was only about 4" of ice under me, good thing I wasn't driving.  When the wind blows hard it doesn't take long to erode the ice.

I don't think it was so much the wind that eroded the ice. The guy at Crazy Minnow made it sound like an ice sheet relatively close to the aerator broke loose & prob left a swath where it may have started to refreeze but not to the ice depth of the rest. I think this is what happens on occasion, especially around where the aerators are. Just be careful on the big lake. The little lake is fine. The DNR on a fish survey the other day said they did an oxygen check & found low % of oxygen on the bottom. He thinks they are deprived on the bottom which is consistent with the horrible bite. He did say to try up a few feet from the bottom which is what we saw on the locator. they did seem to be up in the water column some. The water was real murky as well last Sunday. That didn't help.

Offline spazly120

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Damn it, I should be on the hardwater
« Reply #2139 on: Jan 27, 2014, 09:50 PM »
any new news about clear lake, thought about heading up there for the first time this year, didnt know if it would be worth the drive? had a buddy go up there 2-3 weeks ago and got skunked, so im nervous i guess...

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #2140 on: Jan 27, 2014, 11:34 PM »
How thick is the ice we have 12-14" down south just wondering ?   Definitely the low oxygen is slowing the fishing down because we had more snow on the ice down here and the oxygen is low but I adjusted my presentation and caught probably 50 crappies an hour after that switch then I used up all my secret weapon (Maki plastics in pink - glow red ) and after that the fish were on fire  :icefish: :icefish: :clap:
Never to many short poles

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2141 on: Jan 28, 2014, 09:48 PM »
Oh. I would estimate 30+ inches of ice. My auger was well over 3/4 down before punched through.

Offline spazly120

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Damn it, I should be on the hardwater
« Reply #2142 on: Jan 29, 2014, 12:52 AM »
absolutly, ive had awesome luck with the pink/glow red maki plastics this season. On all sorts of species, Crappies, gills, trout, and perch. but especially crappies, love them

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2143 on: Jan 29, 2014, 11:11 AM »
30+ inches! I'm not sure how much ice my Eskimo Stingray can handle w/o an extension. I'll be there in a week and will find out, I guess, but has anyone actually measured?
 If I need to get quick extension, I better be looking now!
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2144 on: Jan 29, 2014, 04:04 PM »
30+ inches! I'm not sure how much ice my Eskimo Stingray can handle w/o an extension. I'll be there in a week and will find out, I guess, but has anyone actually measured?
 If I need to get quick extension, I better be looking now!

The guy at the bait shop said 15", but all in our party thought it was well over. Somewhere around 25", give or take some. We didn't need an extension, but on that first hole I was wondering after expecting 15. Finally went thru though. The locals would know for sure.

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2145 on: Jan 29, 2014, 04:16 PM »

The guy at the bait shop said 15", but all in our party thought it was well over. Somewhere around 25", give or take some. We didn't need an extension, but on that first hole I was wondering after expecting 15. Finally went thru though. The locals would know for sure.
I investigated Eskimo's website, my Eskimo has a 42" shaft, so no problem...yet.
Thanks,
Mike

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2146 on: Feb 17, 2014, 08:19 PM »
Omg!! Bump. This thread never gets buried to page 3. What's. Going on over there? Lake dry up or what?

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2147 on: Feb 18, 2014, 04:28 AM »
A partner and I fished the tourney up there.  It was tough finding quality fish, but we took in 50 quality fish which was great for only having 20 total (including small ones) for the first half of the tournament.  Pre fishing I would guess we caught over 300 on Friday.  To accomplish this we fished little lake which was going to be our last resort during the tournament if stuff really hit the fan.  It was nothing to catch 25 fish in very short order (as fast as you could as soon as it hit bottom) on little lake.  Speaking of short, those hogs were around 3" each!!  It should be one heck of a lake in 2 years for those yellows.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #2148 on: Feb 18, 2014, 03:32 PM »
I finally got my extention delivered today was so glad to see it because where im going its over 30" and still growing
Never to many short poles

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2149 on: Feb 19, 2014, 04:09 PM »
Anyone getting into any quality yellows out there?

Offline icefisher4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2150 on: Feb 25, 2014, 10:08 AM »
How much snow is on the little lake?

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2151 on: Mar 06, 2014, 04:53 PM »
Anyone been getting anything out here?

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2152 on: Mar 12, 2014, 07:30 PM »
Anyone been getting into anything? I went out last weekend, fished all day, drilled til the gas tank went empty, maybe 50-75 holes, caught about 50 3 inch yellows with 4 quality 9-10s in the little lake

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2153 on: Mar 13, 2014, 02:07 AM »
When fishing the tournament and prior I never caught quality fish out of little lake this year (last year was a different story).  Big lake had by far better quality.  I'm just curious if a person can get around on big lake with a truck or if there is too much snow on top?

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2154 on: Mar 14, 2014, 09:13 AM »
Can some locals shed light on the snow situation please. How much slush etc...

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2155 on: Mar 15, 2014, 09:27 PM »
Can some locals shed light on the snow situation please. How much slush etc...

They seemed to be pretty tight lipped this year. There were literally only 3-4 pages since ice set up this year.

Offline Bockster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2156 on: Sep 06, 2014, 10:59 PM »
Getting ready to restock the tackle box for hardwater, opinions on best baits for running and gunnin Clear for a little of everything? Yellows, eyes, craps?

Offline icyclone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2157 on: Sep 11, 2014, 07:49 AM »
my go-to is usually a Swedish pimple tipped with waxies or spikes, seems to catch just about anything

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #2158 on: Sep 14, 2014, 09:49 PM »
acme kastmasters and vmc tumbler spoons are good too!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #2159 on: Oct 20, 2014, 01:50 AM »
So are most of hou clear lake guys targeting Yellow bass? Do they taste like perch? How the numbers and size?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.