Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake  (Read 431489 times)

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Clear Lake
« Reply #1950 on: Feb 09, 2013, 06:53 PM »
luckydog thanks for the reply.

If the weather more like roads aren't too bad I might go over and check it out.  In the little lake what depth of water was you in?  Was you using cutbait or minnows? And finally what color and type of jig were you using?  I know you need to hole hop is key, but whenever I go to fish the lake in either hard water of soft water I have no luck and might get a few yellow bass when everybody else says they are on fire.  If you want you can PM me more specifics if you don't want to share on here.

I was using small spoons with spikes today. hole hopping was not a requirement today.
Focus was on a 20 hole set in 8 fow.

We hit 103 contestants today....with several more on the way..

Thanks
Chris

Offline Iowan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1951 on: Feb 09, 2013, 07:13 PM »
Planning on coming up but won't know until Friday afternoon because of work.  Got a few other guys that are planning on coming up with that have also not preregistered.  Sounds like there will be a good turn out and sure it will be a great time!! 
Catch a man a fish and feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime.

Offline DougU

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Where did I leave the extension?????
« Reply #1952 on: Feb 09, 2013, 07:46 PM »
Must have been a different Clear Lake than the one that I and my buddies hit today fighting 30mph winds and watching guys pulling their permies off.....several locals said its a very time sensitive bite, miss the time, miss the fish.

Offline Crappyfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1953 on: Feb 10, 2013, 09:48 AM »
Im not gonna be able to cime up friday, but me and a buddy will hopefully make it. What kind of bait and tackle should I bring?

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1954 on: Feb 10, 2013, 07:05 PM »
75th place will be sponsored by steggall farms.

Clam pro tc shelter

steggall farms will also be sponsoring the vexilar fl-12

place will be decided based on number of entries.

Thanks
Chris

Offline okie22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1955 on: Feb 10, 2013, 10:46 PM »
You can add three more.  Just a little late mailing the registration.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1956 on: Feb 11, 2013, 12:05 PM »
How is the ice after the rain and wind?

Offline bassfishineric12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1957 on: Feb 11, 2013, 12:17 PM »
I drove out yesterday around noon on the little lake and drove off around 7 it was pretty slushy but thrre was still plenty of ice. Id go off at McIntosh tho, there was a massive pond in front of lerenzos

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #1958 on: Feb 13, 2013, 12:43 PM »
Was on the little lake yesterday ice was still 16 to 18 inches everywhere we checked. We got out about 7:30 or 8 and the bite was really slow or we weren't on them. Hooked up with a couple local guys and brought home 126 yellows and 4 real nice crappies. Also caught a couple dink perch but they went back down the hole. All were pulled from 18-19 feet and they were really hugging bottom.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline Crappyfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1959 on: Feb 13, 2013, 04:35 PM »
For the Ice Fishing Bonanza, is it going to be free for all on the lake, or stay within some boundaries? Trying to decide if its worth bringing my 2 man flip over, or just a bucket to sit on. Thanks guys

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #1960 on: Feb 13, 2013, 05:26 PM »
Is ice still good ? Did you get much rain?
Never to many short poles

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1961 on: Feb 13, 2013, 09:04 PM »
For the Ice Fishing Bonanza, is it going to be free for all on the lake, or stay within some boundaries? Trying to decide if its worth bringing my 2 man flip over, or just a bucket to sit on. Thanks guys

all contestants will start at Macintosh boat ramp.
Boundaries are the thin ice markers extending from the pump house to dodges point.
Maps will be provided in your tournament pouch.

We are at 128 entries.

Thanks

Offline IAEYE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1962 on: Feb 15, 2013, 05:56 AM »
Tonight is the big night! Yellow Bass Ice Bash 5-8 at the Ventura Community Center.

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #1963 on: Feb 15, 2013, 03:58 PM »
Go get em boys.. if two dummys who have never fished clear before can bring home 120 in about 2 hours you guys should have no problem.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"

Offline notime

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1964 on: Feb 17, 2013, 10:56 AM »
How did the tournament go

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1965 on: Feb 17, 2013, 12:47 PM »
Excellent!
195 contestants. They caught 4545 fish that weighed over 1000 lbs. Caught should be replaced with weighed.  I think my buddy and I probably ended the day catching 300-350 fish between us (at least 150 each).  Not bad for 8 to 12:45.

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1966 on: Feb 17, 2013, 04:37 PM »

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1967 on: Feb 17, 2013, 04:42 PM »

I forgot the newspaper might not let you in without a subscription so here is the article.

CLEAR LAKE — One hundred ninety-five anglers from six states took to the ice on the west end of Clear Lake Saturday for the inaugural Yellow Bass Bonanza hosted by Chris Scholl and Kevan Paul of Paul’s Fishing Guide.

Participants enjoyed almost ideal ice-fishing weather and a strong bite as they competed for thousands of dollars in cash and prizes.

“This has got to be 100 times better than I dreamed of,” Paul said.

The anglers took off from McIntosh Woods State Park in Ventura just before 8 a.m. Many found fish almost immediately.

Justin Humpal of Monroe claimed $50 by being the first contestant to weigh in his tournament limit of 50 yellows at 9:19. His basket weighed 10.37 lbs.

Humpal fished just west of the channel in about 5 feet of water using a green Mudbug.

“They were just one after another,” said Humpel, who fished Clear Lake for the first time earlier in the week.

Other anglers chose to stay on the ice until the 1 p.m. deadline in hopes of finding more quality fish.

The most successful was Jim Oberfoell of Osage, whose 50-fish basket weighed 13.59 pounds and earned him $600.

Fishing just west of the aerator hole near the north shore pumping station, Oberfoell reeled in 76 fish by 10 a.m. He used an orange Mudbug baited with wigglers and fished at a depth of 7 feet.

Oberfoell said he tried eight to nine holes before he found a concentration of fish. “You’ve got to move,” he noted.

Second place and $400 went to Kevin Wiemers of Burt with 12.76 lbs. He also collected $415 plus $150 in prizes from Berkley for catching the largest white bass at 2.43 lbs.

Just behind in third was Matt Hull of Alta who took $300 with 12.75 lbs.

Both Wiemers and Hull fished in the little lake using jigging spoons and wigglers. Orange was a hot color for them as well.

Participants turned in a total of 4,545 yellow bass weighing 1,050 lbs.

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #1968 on: Feb 17, 2013, 06:38 PM »
That seems like fun.  Will they be biting till iceout?
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline IAEYE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1969 on: Feb 18, 2013, 01:55 PM »
you can expect another article in the paper next weekend and Yes they will continue to bite til ice out.  Today chris and two buddys caught over 150 in just a few hours. I hope this snow doesn't stick. 

Offline IOWAICE21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1970 on: Feb 20, 2013, 09:56 PM »
Hows the ice lookin? Planning on makin a trip up with a pickup and crank down. Never fished CL looking to hopefully get into a mess of yellows and a few eyes any suggestions on where to start?
LOVE FOR HARDWATER!

Offline 26perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1971 on: Feb 21, 2013, 06:47 AM »
drove on little lake yesterday  38 yellows,4 perch 1 crappie  17 fow best bite 3-4 pm

Offline IOWAICE21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1972 on: Feb 21, 2013, 12:37 PM »
Thanks for the info 26perch! What was the ice thickness?
LOVE FOR HARDWATER!

Offline 26perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1973 on: Feb 21, 2013, 03:38 PM »
15-18" of good ice on little lake stay away from channel between big & little lake

Offline huntaholic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1974 on: Feb 21, 2013, 08:28 PM »
That seems like fun.  Will they be biting till iceout?
Its only going to get better from here on

Offline IOWAICE21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1975 on: Feb 21, 2013, 08:57 PM »
Thanks again 26perch!
LOVE FOR HARDWATER!

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #1976 on: Feb 22, 2013, 08:42 AM »
Important.definitely going to have to come that way again. man them yellow are a blast.

Offline russjess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1977 on: Feb 22, 2013, 09:23 AM »
Thinking bout heading up Tom would like some information on where to go and time I'm thinking the little lake and I'm not asking for your hot spot just like fow they are biting best and if its better with minnows or wax worms got a buddy coming down from Minnesota and wanna get on some fish any help would be appreciated wished.I could of came last weekend got the yellow bass tournament but had to work thanks in advance on any information and ill let u know how we did

Offline russjess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1978 on: Feb 22, 2013, 09:25 AM »
U can also pm me if u don't want everyone to know

Offline prestonc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1979 on: Feb 22, 2013, 01:14 PM »
Every time I have gone this year I have pounded them.  I have been using a buckshot spoon with a dropper chain and spikes.  The day of the tournament they were biting so well I had to switch to gulp alive waxies so I wasn't re-baiting every 45 seconds.  I would guess it was 175 fish in 4.5 hours, and I made the mistake of moving to find bigger fish during that time (didn't work).  Assuming you're using a flasher, I would not not drop my line down until you find fish (it is not worth your time). 10 feet can be the difference between nothing, a couple, and sitting on fish (you're bottom zoom can be worthless with how many fish there are).  Want to make them mad?  smack the bottom with your lure and lift it up (some times the fish will already be on).  other buddies caught them on; gem-n-eyes, pilkies, tear drops, tungsten jigs, hook and minnow under bobber, the tournament was won by a guy fishing a northland mud bug supposedly.  I've been fishing little lake.  I go out a ways off the boat ramp and head slightly to the left.  hope that helps

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.