Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake  (Read 431497 times)

Offline nitro1

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Clear Lake
« Reply #1860 on: Jan 17, 2013, 12:07 AM »
Not at the little lake!  Check out... http://thejackrace.com/thejackmap.html.  Shows the location of the race at State Park on Southeast side of big lake.  There will still be a few that ride the little lake.  :icefish:

Offline goosehntr69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1861 on: Jan 17, 2013, 12:08 AM »
nope out of the state park on the little lake.  The only problem is they will be all over even without snow.
I belive it will be at Clear Lake State Park, not MacIntosh state park.

Offline icefisher4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1862 on: Jan 17, 2013, 12:17 AM »
good deal! i was just a little confused. good news though! heading out tomorrow morning to see what i can do. trying to find some walleyes. any word on them? what depth there catching them at? also wouldnt mind trying to find some northern. anybody catch any on the little lake?!?

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1863 on: Jan 17, 2013, 08:28 AM »
It's been a few years since I fished Clear and I have a few questions about the Clear Lake yellow bass population .

1. Are the yellows taking over ?
2. Do fishermen actually release the smaller yellows  back into the lake ?
3. What is the average size of a "keeper" yellow bass ?
4. Is there a daily limit ?
5. Do some ice fisherman throw "dink" yellows on the ice ?

Thank you ...

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline IGLfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1864 on: Jan 17, 2013, 01:38 PM »
It's been a few years since I fished Clear and I have a few questions about the Clear Lake yellow bass population .

1. Are the yellows taking over ?
2. Do fishermen actually release the smaller yellows  back into the lake ?
3. What is the average size of a "keeper" yellow bass ?
4. Is there a daily limit ?
5. Do some ice fisherman throw "dink" yellows on the ice ?

Thank you ...

I'll try to answer some of your questions,,, and this is just my opinion !!!

1.I personally think they are taking over,,,,BUT i think the ice fisherman keep them under control somewhat,,,but it wouldn't take much and they would overtake the lake...

2. Yes some fishermen do release them back,,,bad idea in my mind,, because they are an invasive species !!

3. I would say 8 inches maybe 9..

4.  NO daily limit,,,again invasive species..

5. Yes some do throw them on the ice..  there are also guy's that take hundreds out in a day,,, i see no problem with that...

Offline ranger185

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1865 on: Jan 18, 2013, 10:10 AM »
We have had a summer home on Clear Lake for several years. Farmers Beach area. Let me take a crack and provide some info for those not familiar with some recent history of the lake.
1. No. They have been in there a long time and it seems to work.
2. Yes.
3. 6 to 8"
4. No limit. People take them out by the bucket full each year and it seems to help keep population down
5. Hope not
A few years ago Ventura Bay (what some call "Little Lake") was dredged. The dredging operation ran for 2 years 24/7. It took the bay from being really shallow to what it is today. Saw a map of it post dredge somewhere (Iowa DNR site?). Looks like a surgeon did it. The idea was to use the bay to filter the water coming in from Ventura Marsh that eventually ends up in the Lake. It worked. The water clarity went from a foot to over three foot in the big lake. When the big boats run during the day it gets churned up but the overall clarity was/is good.
With the clarity came weeds. Lots of them. The area around our dock went from absolutely no weeds to obnoxious weeds. The family complained about all the weeds but I just smiled because, as a fisherman, I knew what that meant for the fish.
Sure enough, the crappies are showing up. And bluegill and perch. Others too.
Not long ago Clear Lake was mentioned by many as the best walleye lake in the state. That didn't last long as the amount of pressure became intense. Everyone came to fish for them plus tournaments nearly every weekend. Those boys know how to catch walleyes and with the limited amount of structure in the lake the keeper size fish didn't stand a chance. The walleye stocking program is intense and with the weeds now maybe they will bounce back. There seems to be a ton of little walleye in the lake.
It would be nice to see the crappies continue to thrive but the ice fishing pressure is going to take its toll. Unlike Minnesota where there are a zillion lakes and the ice fisherman spread out there are no alternatives around Clear. It will get pounded, especially with the lake way down and some of the weed cover dried up. I'm sure those skinny little 9" crappies are flying out of there by the hundreds and its too bad.

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1866 on: Jan 18, 2013, 12:11 PM »
Thanks Ranger. Spot on. If the yellows are biting good. keep the yellows & throw back the crappies.

With weed growth so abundant now including in a bit of deeper waters (at least a couple feet more down), do you anticipate the walleyes reproducing to better help sustain in Clear Lake. Will they reproduce. I don't think it will ever be a self-sustaining lake, but maybe help the numbers & classes.

Offline notime

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1867 on: Jan 19, 2013, 09:21 AM »
how is the bite this week

Offline icefisher4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1868 on: Jan 19, 2013, 11:43 PM »
Today was very very windy.  Lake was packed full amd pretty slushy.  Anyways I on my way in tonight I found a folding chair...if it'd yours let me know. Good luck

Offline TRCrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1869 on: Jan 20, 2013, 09:03 AM »
Was wondering why they do not stocks lakes that get hit hard every year with more crappies, bluegills, and perch yearly to try and help sustain populations. 

Offline crappie98

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1870 on: Jan 20, 2013, 11:00 AM »
Was wondering why they do not stocks lakes that get hit hard every year with more crappies, bluegills, and perch yearly to try and help sustain populations.

The fish numbers are there you just have to find them.  If they were super easy to catch everytime they would get fished out.

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1871 on: Jan 21, 2013, 08:12 AM »
Thanks to those who responded to me questions.
Not sure if there would be any natural walleye reproduction in Clear, but doesn't the DNR stock walleye on a regular basis ?

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline TRCrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1872 on: Jan 21, 2013, 11:51 AM »
Not even from their.  Just looked like the ranger worked for the DNR and was wondering why they don't stock places that get hit hard every year to make sure populations stay up all the time.  Some place get fished out from the pressure and it takes a couple years to rebound.  Just wondering if they could put fish in every year to avoid the downtime and keep good amounts of all year classes.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1873 on: Jan 21, 2013, 04:50 PM »
Boatloads of smalleyes in Clear Lake soon as theyre 14 they gone.  It will never make it back to what it was.

Offline ranger185

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1874 on: Jan 21, 2013, 04:53 PM »
I'm not a ranger or with DNR. My boat is a Ranger 185VS. The lake has a state hatchery on the north side of the lake (east a ways from the Surf Ballroom). They harvest walleye eggs each spring from native fish, do their hatchery thing and stock it. I think they also stock other lakes from that hatchery as well? As far as natural reproduction am not sure about that one. You would think there would be some.
My main point was the the grass from improved water clarity has changed Clear over what is was. When the water comes back up after the drought ends it will be even more so. Who know how long that will be.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1875 on: Jan 21, 2013, 05:10 PM »
Dnr needs to sink some crappie cribs/condos in the deeper water. Or get a few dumptruckloads of boulders out there when the ice gets thick enough. They do this at lakes allover the midwest.  Why not on Clear?  I am sure local businesses would be willing to put up some money also.  Prolly just a pipe dream though.

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #1876 on: Jan 21, 2013, 06:07 PM »
I would be all for the crappie cribs but its a pretty shallow lake. I don't understand how Upper Red Lake hasn't had more boat/crib accidents. Some of those cribs are 6 feet tall, that lake is just as shallow as Clear.

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1877 on: Jan 21, 2013, 06:16 PM »
That is exactly why you will not see crappie structures.
Boaters safety over fish structures.

They have been easy enough to target why do you need structures?

Weed growth in the lake will continue helping with survival of future year classes.

The lake is extremely healthy. Walleyes are in there fellas, just very well fed.

Caught a couple this fall with as many as 7 small yellow bass in there stomachs.

Offline crappie98

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1878 on: Jan 21, 2013, 07:51 PM »
Saw some guys today fishing just west of the Island.  First activity there that I have seen all winter.  Also saw a truck over on the east side of the lake as well. 

Offline nitro1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1879 on: Jan 22, 2013, 10:54 PM »
Finally had enough time to get there in the early afternoon to move to the big lake.  Wow what a difference !!  Instantly started hitting the yellows. Guessing I took home at least 60 yellows!    Fun, fun, fun!!!  Also managed to get a few crappies and a perch.  Lost a nice walleye at the hole, looked keeper size but they always look bigger before they surface! No one even close, saw a few west and north of the island!!!!! ;D

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1880 on: Jan 22, 2013, 11:02 PM »
Being from the Iowa City area, I presume there is no longer any snow cover on Clear, at least where it's a problem, correct? Looking to maybe make a trip up there this weekend if my buddy's schedule works. Are people pretty much roaming the lake with about any vehicle. Thanks.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1881 on: Jan 23, 2013, 12:36 PM »
No snow cover besides miniscule drifting between the shacks.  You can get anywhere on the lake with a car or truck.  Or if your not one to drive on the ice you could drag anywhere.

Offline notime

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1882 on: Jan 23, 2013, 06:51 PM »
Starting to see action over by the island

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1883 on: Jan 23, 2013, 07:15 PM »
So whats the story at the island? Havent ice fished that in years.  Used to be a damm city out there.

Offline crappie98

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1884 on: Jan 23, 2013, 07:29 PM »
Was working on the north shore line today putting rock in.  5 or 6 shacks on the west side of the island and one north of the island.  Saw a couple guys trying the east side today but they only stayed for about an hour and then they left.  Decent amount of guys by the pump house today.

Offline 26perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1885 on: Jan 23, 2013, 09:48 PM »
only 3 perm's west of island   probly seen friend & me in pickups  jump around and only marked 1 fish between us  drove straight across to n shore  with no fish marked   I did find 1 spot after 4pm and I caught 7 yb,2dink eyes & 24" cat

Offline crappie98

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1886 on: Jan 24, 2013, 06:35 AM »
Ya I saw you two driving around about 200 to 300 yards off the north shore.  We thought look at those crazy guys without a tent!!!! ;D   That blasted wind really came up in the afternoon!

Offline 26perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1887 on: Jan 24, 2013, 12:22 PM »
 ya it was rough out there even fishin out of pickup.  that little skiff of was moving & would skim over our holes plus swirl around in our face. we both had our port. with us but we were ice trolling-trying to find active fish. it was so windy I had to go to a heavier jigging spoon just to keep my line tight.   if you were down below you were half way protected.   wish you could leave us a path so we could acess that part of lake from shore without pulling our ports over the rocks

Offline crappie98

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1888 on: Jan 24, 2013, 08:32 PM »
There was open water on the north side where we were.  The ice had heaved and opened the water up.

Offline 26perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1889 on: Jan 24, 2013, 08:48 PM »
east of where you were working & out about 1/4 mi+  friend was about same distance out down by Reilly Point

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.