Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake  (Read 431495 times)

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Clear Lake
« Reply #1740 on: Dec 19, 2012, 10:55 PM »
Went out a bit further and found some spots that were closer to 2 inches.  I'd wait till saturday to be safe.  The fish were in closer. 5-6fow

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1741 on: Dec 20, 2012, 12:52 AM »
i think i'll hit it friday, i decided to stay home for the day when my parents started sayin i should wear a life jacket when i set foot on that ice and i think it'll be a bit thicker after two more days below-freezing, i think you're bein a little negative bout the snow CB, a nice blanket will reflect sunlight and help us cool off even more, and we'll have a white christmas at that! now last year i found a sweet spot in about 8 feet of water, now with the lake level down a bit, should i hit the same spot or shift farther how onto the lake?

icyclone - You are correct that a snow cover will help bring down air temps, but, if there is one lesson I want you to remember as you continue to ice fish is that a heavy blanket of snow does not help with ice making. Heavy snow is the worst enemy and can be very deceiving to many as they think it has to be safe or does not allow people to read the ice. It acts as an insulator & drastically slows down the ice making process. The ice underneath can get quite squishy & unsafe, so PLEASE, keep this in mind.  HEAVY SNOW BAD FOR ICE. COLD & CLEAR GOOD FOR ICE.

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1742 on: Dec 20, 2012, 08:07 AM »
Be careful out there CrappieBuster and yes this snow is really gonna goof up the ice process.  At least down my way everything was pretty much open water when it came.

Offline icyclone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1743 on: Dec 20, 2012, 08:53 AM »
ok ok i guess i got a little excited about a white christmas, i know down here in the fort dodge area its pretty heavy, it looks like it was a little lighter up there, now that the main snowfalls happened and its just blowin around, how much is actually on the lake?

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1744 on: Dec 20, 2012, 09:12 AM »
We had about an inch or two on the lake to begin with before the big dump.  When that happens it doesnt wanna blow off to easy. We got anywhere from 6-8 inches of the wetter type of snow on top of it :-\ which doesnt like to blow around much either.  Most we can hope for now is that it slushes up and we get some cold cold nights to refreeze that slush and form sh*tty white ice.  Another tragic year. I wont be back over there to check it until after christmas. I think It will still be marginal for foot traffic even then.

Offline IAEYE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1745 on: Dec 20, 2012, 09:53 AM »
Things don't look to bad. I just got off the lake a few minutes ago and some of the snow blew off. We should be ok for fishing this weekend.  I would stick to Farmers or Macintosh. Use a spud bar!

Offline walleyewarrior50595

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1746 on: Dec 20, 2012, 10:58 AM »
Glad to hear it kevan! Me and a buddy will be coming up Saturday or Sunday. Would it be worth bringing the quikflip 3 for the two of us or should we stay spread out?  I'm 240 and I bet he's a little bigger.

Offline SHANTYTOWN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1747 on: Dec 20, 2012, 11:54 AM »
I would spread out.... It does not look the best

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1748 on: Dec 20, 2012, 12:41 PM »
I would think by Sunday things should be fairly firm, depends on how much snow stays on the ice.

Offline IAEYE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1749 on: Dec 20, 2012, 01:57 PM »
Things are going to be pretty good by the weekend but still be safe and use caution.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1750 on: Dec 21, 2012, 03:26 PM »
Looks like we dodged a bullet.  Ice is pretty darn clean 3-5 1/2in and building quick offf farmers beach.  The ramp got blown in good but beings the lake is so low someone could blade it off really easy beings the drifts dont even make it to the ice.  Just nice sandy beach under all that snow.  If the DNR was nice they would do that ;)  Itd be the best christmas present EVER :tipup:

Offline xplicitgtp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1751 on: Dec 21, 2012, 03:55 PM »
Full reports on fish and ice from those of you going
Out tomorrow. Hoping to come up Sunday

Offline bassfishineric12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1752 on: Dec 22, 2012, 03:29 PM »
Thinking about going out tomorrow wondering how the ice looked today and how every one did?? Thanks!

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1753 on: Dec 22, 2012, 05:12 PM »
Don't go out to far off farmers. Find the start of six foot and poke around there. Ice is 4-6 still bring your picks though. They're hitting smaller minnows.

Offline bassfishineric12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1754 on: Dec 22, 2012, 07:44 PM »
Any action around macintosh??

Offline HANDLINE2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1755 on: Dec 23, 2012, 08:54 AM »
We caught a lot of fish there yesterday, yellows and crappie.
It's mind over matter, if you don't have a mind it don't matter.

Offline xplicitgtp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1756 on: Dec 23, 2012, 01:05 PM »
Ice reports?

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1757 on: Dec 23, 2012, 01:12 PM »
Walked out a couple hundred yards off farmers yesterday ice was never shy of 4 and as thick as six

Offline crouch2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1758 on: Dec 23, 2012, 04:54 PM »
Fished off Macintosh today 10 till 2  1 little walleye 1 dinky yellow had a lot of lookers but short slow bites soild 5 inches of ice

Offline luckydog35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1759 on: Dec 23, 2012, 06:37 PM »
Fished big lake today. 3 hours 74yellows and few crappie mixed in ( all crappie released) don't see much sense in keeping them when we had a bucket of yellows.

Older son caught a keeper walleye this morning.

Good luck

Offline xplicitgtp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1760 on: Dec 23, 2012, 06:43 PM »
Where is this "farmers" island? Never been to cl going up tomorrow. What's the best way park and get to it

Offline ed4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1761 on: Dec 23, 2012, 07:15 PM »
Its on the southwest side of the main lake. Not sure the name of the road you turn off to get there.

I too am heading up tomorrow in the morning. We will be fishing off of Farmers. Has the bite been best off of waxies or minnows?

Offline 26perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1762 on: Dec 23, 2012, 08:04 PM »
Where is this "farmers" island? Never been to cl going up tomorrow. What's the best way park and get to it
   Here's the gps coord to farmers beach    N43 06 617    W093 26 884  if that helps.  the island is about a mi east?

Offline xplicitgtp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1763 on: Dec 23, 2012, 09:19 PM »
Ok, not sure where I came up with that it was an island :) Thanks!

Offline servicce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1764 on: Dec 23, 2012, 09:26 PM »
I have to ask,,where at on the big lake,,and more importantly, what were you using?  I was on McIntosh in the A.M. and couldn't catch a yellow to save my rear,,,did catch a dozen crappie, smallest was just under 11"

Offline SHANTYTOWN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1765 on: Dec 23, 2012, 10:05 PM »
Fished big lake today. 3 hours 74yellows and few crappie mixed in ( all crappie released) don't see much sense in keeping them when we had a bucket of yellows.

Older son caught a keeper walleye this morning.

Good luck

Didn't happened unless you post pictures ;D

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1766 on: Dec 23, 2012, 10:27 PM »
Farmers was flat out not worth it saturday. Only iced a dozen.

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1767 on: Dec 24, 2012, 10:01 AM »
Farmers was good on Sunday. Key is to drill alot of holes and hop around until you find them. If you just drill 4 holes and sit in your shanty you probably are not going to catch alot. I was told numerous times not to go to Farmers, but we did anyway and caught more and bigger yellows then on the little lake. We fished 5-7 fow and had good luck on jigging spoon with waxies, anyway caught the more aggressive fish. Marked tons of fish on the little lake and Farmers, most would not bite, kinda finicky with the NE wind. Downsizing didn't work well, we caught more with aggresive jigging spoon action. I can't stress enough the importance of pre-drilling a bunch of holes and giving them time to settle down after you drill in 6ft of water, then you can hole hop, if we didnt mark a fish in 30 seconds then we would move. Sometimes a hole 10-15 ft away is all the diffence. Good luck.

Offline IAEYE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1768 on: Dec 24, 2012, 12:47 PM »
X2 keep on the move. Good work guys!

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1769 on: Dec 24, 2012, 01:15 PM »
Getting about time to bring the houses out. Middle or end of the week I'm thinking.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.