Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake  (Read 431493 times)

Offline bobracing32

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Clear Lake
« Reply #1620 on: Jan 24, 2012, 07:29 AM »
Alot of snow out there.... Farmers will be tricky getting on. Had a path plowed then it blew in. I dont think my four wheeler can plow it out again.... Ill be heading out around noon hopefully i can get to my shack!

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1621 on: Jan 24, 2012, 09:31 AM »
Is the ramp just bad and pretty smooth sailing once you get out there?

Offline 961kyle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1622 on: Jan 24, 2012, 09:37 AM »
Been up to farmers a few times.  Wondering if there is good fishing around the island? 

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1623 on: Jan 24, 2012, 09:41 AM »
There was decent fishing in years past.  No one has ice fished it much in the past few years.  Ice formed kinda iffy around there this year.  Theres a nice lil hole off the island that everyone used to put their shacks on.

Offline bobracing32

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1624 on: Jan 24, 2012, 10:03 AM »
The road is clear. Just once on the lake it looks deep. However the path i plowed might just be fluff. A guy might be able to just drive right through it?

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1625 on: Jan 24, 2012, 10:34 AM »
A full size with decent tires and weight in the back with 4wheel drive should be able to make it out though right?

Offline 641cfrank

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1626 on: Jan 24, 2012, 10:53 AM »
Is farmers the only safe place to drive on right now???

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1627 on: Jan 24, 2012, 06:07 PM »
You aint gonna be able to drive out there until someone clears out the right hand side of the ramp where the heaves arent.  Looks like someone tried to clear left and got screwed over on the heaves.  Once you get out there 20-30 yrds its fine but the ramp is pretty much drifted in like a unfriendly female.  Whooever had the plow thanks for trying at least ;D

Think we need the sledgehammer brigade out there to bust down the heaves.  And the d.n.r to redesign the ramp so people can at least turn around with a trailer. And not have to back up a few hundred feet. I know you wont be able to launch boats there but it'd be nice to keep the ice fishermen in mind.  Guess people can always dream. :-\

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1628 on: Jan 24, 2012, 08:14 PM »
Is that state land where you are talking about?  Maybe we all should start calling & complaining & request that they make it a bit better to accommodate the ice fishing revenue better. It would really be nice if they actually made a boat landing with a nice sized lot.  But, when thinking about it, I think there is private farm land to the east & west so there may not be room for a huge parking lot. There is a maintenance building to the E side of the road. They may have to purchase some private land. There is some timber that if they purchased they would have to cut down & work the land. The purchasing of the private land & having to work the timber is what is probably stopping them. But, it would sure be nice having a landing there in the summer along with ample parking & access in the winter. It is definitely tight in there.

Offline bobracing32

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1629 on: Jan 24, 2012, 09:24 PM »
The snow was a little deeper than i thought. Once i got over the heave the four wheeler and i had some troubles. It would take me a day and a half to try to plow a path with the four wheeler again. Sorry for all walking out.

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1630 on: Jan 25, 2012, 08:57 AM »
Two bad a couple guys with chain saws couldn't go over there & do some hacking on the heave then have a plow smooth it out for a decent road.    ;) ;D

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1631 on: Jan 25, 2012, 09:51 AM »
Leave the trees alone, it's enjoyable listening to the turkeys gobble right away in the morning while you're ice fishing! ;D

Offline bobracing32

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1632 on: Jan 25, 2012, 12:07 PM »
Theres a path plowed on the lake off farmers now. Getting on and through the shlush spot might be a little tricky. After that its clear sailing.

Offline 641cfrank

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1633 on: Jan 25, 2012, 11:53 PM »
Theres a path plowed on the lake off farmers now.

Thanks for taking the time to do that. Do you got the lifted dodge? I saw it parked there tuesday when I was out... 

Offline bobracing32

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1634 on: Jan 26, 2012, 08:13 AM »
Ya thats my truck.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1635 on: Jan 26, 2012, 10:36 AM »
Thanks for doing that Bob.  I'm gonna scout it out and make sure it will be smooth sailing to get the house out there this afternoon.
You drive that beast of a dodge all the way out?

Offline bobracing32

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1636 on: Jan 26, 2012, 03:47 PM »
You clear for your shack, bring it out. No i just used my four wheeler for now. That truck is fairly heavy....

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1637 on: Jan 26, 2012, 06:22 PM »
Kudos to you Bob for going out of your way & using your $$ to make it easier for A LOT of people!  A sincere thank you & this is from a guy who has some mobility issues & can only get on if the conditions are perfect. I've got a quad to help, but still need a consistent 6" of ice without all the snow. So, thank you!  If I see your truck, I'll throw a twelver in the back!! 

I recommend others do the same.  ;)

Thanks Bob.

Offline 641cfrank

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1638 on: Jan 27, 2012, 02:48 PM »
Do you guys think that slush spot off  farmers is dangerous for a truck? I'm wanting to pull my camper out and I don't know if I will be able to pull through that spot. I'm thinking ill have someone go in front of me and help pull me through it.

Offline bobracing32

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1639 on: Jan 27, 2012, 02:51 PM »
Its fairly deep. Honestly i dont think you should have any troubles. If you try to jump off the path theres still slush all around it.

Offline limited

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1640 on: Jan 27, 2012, 06:35 PM »
Thinking of making the trip from Cedar Rapids in the AM.  Should I pull up the 4 Wheeler?  Never fished there before, is farmers the only access for quads?  Thanks in advance for your comments.

Offline IAEYE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1641 on: Jan 27, 2012, 08:41 PM »
The pump house is ok.   Don't drive the atv in the little lake.  There is a spot that is 2.5" The big lake should be good.  Have fun and good luck.

Offline limited

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1642 on: Jan 27, 2012, 11:19 PM »
Thanks, I'm the only one making the trip so won't go off the beat-in path.  Next weekend some of the guys say they could make the triip with me.

Offline cyclone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1643 on: Jan 29, 2012, 09:00 PM »
SOOOOO dead today..........was over at Billy's, farmers mid day, and the island...........very very slow.  And tons of snow on the ice, my lil TRX 350 ES 4x4 was working pretty hard to get through all the drifts

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1644 on: Jan 29, 2012, 09:22 PM »
How was the ice over by the Island and Billys? 

Offline cyclone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1645 on: Jan 29, 2012, 09:24 PM »
Island = 12 solid inches
Billy's = 7 solid, but lots of crap on top.  There were a few places that we broke into some slush pockets

Offline ifinderH20

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1646 on: Jan 30, 2012, 02:45 PM »
I was out fishing on Saturday to give it a try and ended up on one of the reefs on the big lake.  I fished from 2:00-6:00 and had some live action right around 4:45, I missed a first bite he had nothin but the minnow, the next one I landed and pulled in a 13" eye.  Soo I thought hmm I'm in the right spot, quickly loaded up again and had no more action.  The roomer had it, it was a real good spot the year before for nice big crappies and bluegill...but they move around alot as you all know.  There was a MN fisherman next to me (nice guy) and he was showing me his hawkeye fish finder and shooting the water horizontally and it was showing plenty of fish on the reef... (maybe sniffer and not biters), he didn't catch anything either.  However there was a man 50 yards from us and he claimed to catch 14" & 17" eyes and two yellows... Hard to believe but I would like to  ;)

I was out a couple weeks ago with crappiebuster and we fished some reef action and moved around alot (probably 20 holes) we didn't land any eyes to my knowledge, but a few yellows 4 between us to make a meal, thanks cb my wife and I enjoyed it!  :)

Anyone else w/ any fishin storys from last weekend?  Would love to hear them...

Offline RippinCrappieLips

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1647 on: Jan 30, 2012, 03:24 PM »
We fished Little Lake Sat. morning and evening.  11-12" ice, some honeycomb on top of that.   We fished 20-22 FOW straight out from the inlet.  Was a pretty good group.  Another group drove on just to NE of us, by the ramp.

Marked heavy fish action both outings, caught a couple dozen but no keepers.  Basically 7-8" crappie was it.  It is nice out there with the deep areas dredged out.  Should be good fishing... just not last weekend. 

Offline limited

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1648 on: Jan 30, 2012, 03:56 PM »
Fished all day Sat. from 8-6:30 total of 15 crappie 6 yellow and 1 eye.  All dinks was out west of farmers.  Not decided yet if it's worth the trip next Sat or may try storm or brushy.  Ice down here is leaving us quickly, lot of run off water on mcbride today.

Offline 641cfrank

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1649 on: Jan 30, 2012, 10:04 PM »
It is nice out there with the deep areas dredged out.  Should be good fishing... just not last weekend. 

I wonder, how much better do you guys think the fishing will be in the entire lake next winter with it being dredged? Also how much do the fish grow in a year... I know the yellows probably grow the fastest but what about the crappie and the few perch in there?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.