Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake  (Read 431501 times)

Offline icefisher4

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Clear Lake
« Reply #1410 on: Dec 28, 2011, 08:09 PM »
Anybody out on little lake this evening? Heading ther tomorrow morning depending what the ice reports are

Offline icyclone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1411 on: Dec 28, 2011, 09:06 PM »
had a great afternoon on the ice today, thankyou gentleman, with your advice I caught over 50 yellows and kept 40, followed your tips on farmers and the depth and had a great time doin, thanks guys for makin my first trip on Clear Lake more successful than I cudda hoped for  :)

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1412 on: Dec 28, 2011, 09:37 PM »
Mmmmmm cold water kitty.  I have a spot over there around ice out early-mid march you can catch 5lbers hand over fist.  Theyre good vittles thru the ice.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #1413 on: Dec 28, 2011, 10:15 PM »
Great catch guys  ;D Hope you have ice on the 6th of january  planning a trip up there . Thanks for cool pics least someone has ice . If you could keep me aware of condition I would greaty aprecitate it . THanks guys Pm me @[email protected] Thanks again ;D
Never to many short poles

Offline fishndude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1414 on: Dec 29, 2011, 06:24 AM »
Fished from 2 till 430 yesterday and had a good time again. Iced 50 or 60 yellows and doz or so walleyes all cprd. ( only one keeper )
Was amazed at how the wind opened the main lake back up and the channel to little lake. Be careful out there guys.

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1415 on: Dec 29, 2011, 08:11 AM »
Thanks for the updates on ice conditions up that way.

If there is open water in spots on Clear Lake today, the forecast for the next few days--rain and highs in the mid-forties today, lows at or above freezing tonight, highs in the upper thirties tomorrow, with wind and snow flurries Saturday, Sunday, and Monday--makes me think things might get a little sketchy for ice-fishing Clear Lake this weekend.

That's not good, but hopefully no one makes a trip from one, two, or three hours away, only to find bad ice waiting for them this weekend.

Offline IowaHardWater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1416 on: Dec 29, 2011, 10:35 AM »
Hey guys/gals

Just curious on ice thickness up at Clear Lake.  I got a buddy hooked on ice fishing last year and he is coming to town this weekend (Grimes).  Wanting to see if you guys think the ice is still going to be good by then?  Sounds like it should, but I haven't been on Clear Lake ice fishing at all in my life.

Thanks!

Offline walleyes4*u

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Home of the Free !!!!!!!!
« Reply #1417 on: Dec 29, 2011, 10:48 AM »
Hey guys/gals

Just curious on ice thickness up at Clear Lake.  I got a buddy hooked on ice fishing last year and he is coming to town this weekend (Grimes).  Wanting to see if you guys think the ice is still going to be good by then?  Sounds like it should, but I haven't been on Clear Lake ice fishing at all in my life.

Thanks!

It sounds like it should be good by weekend???????????? With warm weather and chance of rain and wind......I would ask this question come friday afternoon..Reports of open water in spots in the ice... Forcast for Clear Lake 41* today with chance rain/snow over night with a low of 30* tonight....high of 40* friday with low of 28* friday night....high of 46* and WINDY saturday.........I feel I will wait for safer ice.....

Offline IowaHardWater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1418 on: Dec 29, 2011, 11:07 AM »
I swore I had read 8" on Little Lake somewhere, figured it would be fine.  But, I hadn't checked the forcast to see rain.  That is going to put a damper on my weekend.  Oh well, I guess I'll have to find something else to do!

Thanks for the input!

Offline 26perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1419 on: Dec 29, 2011, 11:17 AM »
Had a friend brake through (crotch deep) in the weeds coming off last nite       Be careful out there

Offline Derek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1420 on: Dec 29, 2011, 12:10 PM »
Had a friend brake through (crotch deep) in the weeds coming off last nite       Be careful out there

Oh! That sucks! Which part of the lake?

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1421 on: Dec 29, 2011, 12:31 PM »
I would guess that would be off from the pumphouse.  Beings thats where you walk thru the rushes.

If the channel is open like reports say and we get a strong west wind farmers could open up  pretty quick.  If peoples shacks and people are going in I'd exercise extreme caution.  Ice picks,arctic armor,rescue rope,cell phone.  The lake has taken quite a few people over the last 10 yrs so keep that in mind.

Offline 26perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1422 on: Dec 29, 2011, 01:31 PM »
correct on the pump house area

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1423 on: Dec 29, 2011, 02:04 PM »
Holy carp--fifty degrees and windy on Saturday in Clear Lake!  ??? That changed, and not for the better, since this morning.

I am afraid the yellow bass party will be on hold for a few days.  :-\

Offline Bigwally

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1424 on: Dec 29, 2011, 03:23 PM »
I just got off little lake.  There does seem to be around 6 inches of ice right now.  But when I got on the ice this morning there wasnt any standing water, and by the time we left there was puddles and the top 1/4 inch was soft/slushy.  I'm not sure I would want to mess with it this weekend.  But heck as warm as its gonna be a swim might be kinda nice (joking). 

Offline icefisher4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1425 on: Dec 29, 2011, 03:56 PM »
Went to the little lake this A.M did pretty well id say. caught 2 good keeper yellows and some other yellows that were to small then caught about 12 crappie and 2 little eye... in all me and a buddy caught around 20 fish...could have done better but just stayed in one area...was pretty windy also and i havent seen that many portable shacks on clear lake in a long time. id rather have them be wheelhouses but i dont think thats going to happen for awhile. ??? Also on my way home stopped at Fin and Feather...waste of time and its way to shallow. quit after half hour.
good luck and stay safe out there! its getting soft and slushy...

Offline icyclone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1426 on: Dec 29, 2011, 04:39 PM »
where on the lake is the pumphouse? anywhere near farmers?

Offline Derek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1427 on: Dec 29, 2011, 04:55 PM »
Straight across the lake to the north

Offline fishndude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1428 on: Dec 29, 2011, 05:10 PM »
Channel to little lake was definately open yesterday. Ice out front and on the little lake was still good. Dont know about today though. Scary, b careful!

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1429 on: Dec 29, 2011, 06:55 PM »
Still 8 inches of ice east of the channel off farmers it is not the best of ice though.  Prettly slow fishing today lotsa markers but not many biters.  Threw back a skinny 14 and that was the highlight.

Offline cyclone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1430 on: Dec 29, 2011, 09:17 PM »
Still good ice off of farmers, but that open water looks to be getting closer and closer  ???............Me and my buddy had really good luck today on the yellows, brought 34 home, probably caught 50 ish plus numberous 13 inch eyes as well as a nice kicker 12" crappie (first fish of the day)........best time I have had on Clear lake in a LONG time.  We were on the eastern edge of the "bunch", but by the time all the late arrivers came, we were actually in the middle.  Seemed like lots of folks were catching fish.

Offline 641cfrank

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1431 on: Dec 29, 2011, 10:55 PM »
I had a decent afternoon on farmers... took home a dozen yellows, threw back a dozen more plus two small crappie, three small eyes, and a little perch. There was quite a few people out and it was a fun, warm evening. Ice is still pretty good there, but it is getting slushy on top.

Offline SHANTYTOWN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1432 on: Dec 30, 2011, 05:26 AM »
Time to get out the BOAT!

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1433 on: Dec 30, 2011, 05:47 AM »
 With the rain today and the windy weekend expected the ice will really open up. Temps near 50 tomorrow. I see they turned the aerators off so the ice can refreeze.

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #1434 on: Dec 30, 2011, 06:00 AM »
The aerators seem silly at 40 mph wind.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline cyclones30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1435 on: Dec 30, 2011, 09:04 AM »
Been raining/snowing/sleeting all morning, I was on a farm pond yesterday in the area and I won't go back to it after this morning's weather and tomorrow's forecast.

Offline cyclone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1436 on: Dec 30, 2011, 11:38 AM »
I did well with Minnows, what is everyone else using?

Offline Bigwally

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1437 on: Dec 30, 2011, 11:58 AM »
I had crappie hitting waxies, had minnow head one right next to it but they were hitting the wax worm.

Offline ed4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1438 on: Dec 30, 2011, 12:56 PM »
We went out yesterday and had a good day getting around 30 yellows and numerous 8-10" walleyes and a few lil perch. We fished Farmers in around 8fow. Started out windy and we tried setting the shack up but ended up just hole hopping and fishing with the tarp down, just sitting in the seats of the shack. We had about 10 holes we just kept cycling through all day pulling 1 or 2 yellows out each time then you had to move to a different hole. We favored the east side of the crowd. Lots of people out and ALOT of holes being drilled yesterday. Seen a guy off in the distance pull out a pretty big catfish! I bet that was a nice fight! I also lost a really nice eye at the hole thanks to the transducer cable!  :'(

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1439 on: Dec 30, 2011, 05:28 PM »
Extended forecast is a joke highs in the lower 30s for a break but extremly windy and then back up to mid 40's .  In a week or two the ice prolly wont be fishable.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.